1. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Interactions between people of different religions, why do some find it so difficult?

Discussion in 'Medivh's Tower' started by BlackEnvyX, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    So basicly you are saying: "don't take everything written in there for face-value."
    if so, tell me: why do we apply double standards to muslims?

2. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Because a required doctrine of Islam is that the Quran is infallible and perfect, a work directly dictated by God through an Angel. In contrast with Biblical Literalists, which I'm sure you'll mention, there is no statement in the Bible where it says it should all be taken literally and that it is infallible. The Islamic Hadith and Sira are more directly comparable to the New Testament, being specifically written by men as a "historical" account. Even in books such as Revelation which deal with prophecies, the author still maintains a first person perspective, describing what he saw. This isn't found in the Quran.

3. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Then again, the statement that it is infallible is written inside the Quran itself. Which means that it literally bears no meaning if you apply the common sense that not everything is meant to be taken for face value.

4. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Then they wouldn't be a Muslim. It's like saying Jesus didn't exist yet claiming to be Christian. It's directly incompatible with their belief system.

5. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Bad example, because both Jesus and the prophet Muhammed have been proven to have actually existed (as in: there was an actual historical person at some place), albeit not in the way described in the testaments and Quran.

And besides: I can not believe in Jesus and still be a christian. I don't think this is as much a fundamental problem as you think it is.

In fact, I know many people that don't think that Jesus was the son of god, but still think that the core idea of christianity (especially the ten commandments) is a good idea.
    Sometimes called 'Agnostic theists'.

6. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Why did the son of god had to step in to fix his father's mistakes in the first place? Referring to old and new testaments.

7. BlargHonk

BlargHonk

Resources:
    Resources:
    He was prophesied in the Old Testament, in the writings he specifically says he was there to save the lost, and his sacrifice was to rid the world of the Original Sin and produce a new covenant.

It should be noted under most Christian sects, they view Jesus as an expression of god rather than as a separate divinity.

8. Kingz

Kingz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My view on this would be that it is ignorance and insecurity.

Some people would rather fight or run away from things they do not understand rather than try to understand it.
    When some people cling to religion they do so in order to try to fix their problems or fears by belief into something greater, in very few cases would i argue it is because they seek spiritual enlightenment and want to expand their mind.

Now when another person starts saying things contrary to that belief they react as most persons who believe would and try to defend their belief because to be proven wrong would break a part of their view life.
    There are also the "conversion" part of arguing, which i would argue comes more from pride and vanity from the one trying to convert than from anything else.

In my opinion people who have a need to insult others or try to make other beliefs irrelevant are simply following their religion for the wrong reasons. They are using religion as a way to supplement their flaws or a way to try to fix/ignore their real problems, and as such are scared or angry when someone talks something that goes contrary to it.
    There is a saying around here, that everyone is a believer when death comes knocking on the door and I do believe that there is a big truth in that.

That being said while I was never strictly raised as a believer most people around me tend to believe in something. I take no interest in what some people believe as long as it doesn't influence anyone but themselves.

In my personal opinion, religion has set back the progress of humanity in so many ways so far that is see no appeal to consider it and as such I think people would be a lot happier believing in themselves.

9. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The problem comes from the underlying truth that religions are irrational. Or should I say that the way people think is illogical. This applies to all of us, as brains are not computers they are governed by laws of logic but the process of "thought" itself is not logical. Nothing in nature requires precise, justified logic but rather that the result is good enough to aid survival most of the time.

Due to this lack of foundation logic and also a lack of knowledge and understanding it is possible for humans to create impossible theories, or create religions. These religions can be used to easily explain the world and answer many deep philosophical questions which people might struggle to come to grips with or solve in socially incompatible ways.

If a family of ancient humans were moving and one randomly gets hit by a piece of space rock and dies they might think that they upset some sort of "god", a being that can literally rain rocks on them. They might then sacrifice a human and notice that no more such rocks fell, meaning the "god" is now happy with that. They then begin sacrificing humans often to make sure this "god" is kept happy. Reality is the person just was very unlucky and out of all the places the rock could have hit it just had to hit him in a fatal way, a lot of such pieces of rock fall all the time but do not hurt humans.

As humans progressed you eventually had preachers stop and think about what their religions were. They engineered religions like Christianity, Islam, etc as a uniform way to solve philosophical questions and conform to society. Their religion is designed to answer many questions which humans may encounter in a way that is easy to learn, grasp and understand. However due to the nature of such questions there is often not one right answer, or perhaps the right answer was beyond their understanding at the time. Worse is they were engineered in a short sighted way for a society that was expected to change very slowly over a very long time (no one could have predicted what we have today when they were founded), making them backwards or incompatible with modern society.

This is where friction and incompatibility starts between people of different religious beliefs. For example a Christian might say that it is his right to kill a dog because he feels like it since god gave man power over the animals. A Buddhist on the other hand would say that the dog houses the soul of one who is less enlightened and that it is not his responsibility to judge him on his path to enlightenment. A Hindu might say the dog is a servant of a powerful deity who should be respected and as such killing it is a major crime. A scientist with no religion might say that there is very little difference between the human and dog, both capable of unique personalities, learning and feeling emotions and so it is wrong to kill them, or any animal. Other scientists might be cynical and say that the dog is wasting resources better spent on humans and so no one should have pets. If any of them were to express their point of views to each other there will be a massive argument. Due to the nature and wiring of their beliefs or, or moral logic, they would never accept what each other say. Hence they could argue endlessly about a dog because coming to and accepting a common response is impossible.
    These examples may not be accurate as I am not an expert on religions, feel free to correct them if you feel it misrepresents your beliefs.

10. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Because you're a human and not external to the very problem you're describing, isn't this a fallacy of relative privation?