1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Interactions between people of different religions, why do some find it so difficult?

Discussion in 'Medivh's Tower' started by BlackEnvyX, Apr 4, 2015.

1. BlackEnvyX

BlackEnvyX

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I figured as someone who isn't particularly religious, nor subscribes to a particular belief I'd be okay to start a subject on this matter. Personally I don't see why it's so hard for people of different beliefs to interact on a normal day to day basis. Maybe I would have understood years ago when I had a deep hatred of religion due to my past, but I've overcome those experiences and don't have an irrational hatred for the beliefs themselves just the bad apples who label themselves as said beliefs and make the entire religion look bad.

I'm not exactly sure why people of various beliefs can't interact with each other without one or the other having to flare up and try to either "convert" or "discredit" or condescend to the other. What's wrong with simply accepting that people have varying different beliefs in regards to religion. Just an example, my girlfriend is Christian and I have no problem going to church with her even though that whole thing's not my shindig. (I do believe in a God, but religion just doesn't have a big part in my life, and only recently has it had any part in my life at all)

Whether you're Atheist, Buddhist, Catholic, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc there shouldn't be a reason why you can't interact as normal people with one another.

What are ya'll's thoughts on this?

2. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Agnostic here derived from Christian backgrounds.

Perhaps it's difficult because it's the way they were raised. Something a person witnessed might have triggered strong feelings towards specific people. Something triggered the need to condescend people of other religions. It might have something to do with how some religious scriptures place their kind over another kind.

Now I'm not to say that religion itself causes this. Although I can argue that religion causes it, I'm only saying that is one of the factors why people act in the way your describing. Other factors include parenting, propaganda, personal confrontation with a religion, altered memory, genetics, etc. I am not, however, treating those who try to conscend each other due to their relgious (or non-religous affiliation). Sometimes these heated debates (or fights) have logical motives behind them. Is it okay that people are doing this? Probably not.

3. Shadow Fury

Shadow Fury

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    To give you a good example of interaction between different beliefs is the country where I live in, Egypt. Here Christians and Muslims (different beliefs) live in perfect harmony. I have Christian classmates at school and they are never discriminated by any Muslim. Of course this isn't limited to school only but also to the whole country. We leave in peace from years (I see this daily with my eyes so nobody can contradict me on this point)
    I don't know then why in other parts of the world people find it hard to interact with different beliefs. There's nothing bad in exchanging one another's beliefs and cultures as long as nobody wishes to wipe out the other.

4. WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm a Christian and i don't find it hard at all to interact with people from other religions.IMO the reason its sometimes hard is because religion plays a large role in most people's life.It influences their lifestyle,actions etc so its hard to interact with someone who lives completely different and has completely different views on everything

5. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm from Indonesia, for some of you might be aware that we have over 5 religions across the country, and these religions all live in harmony.
    In my school, some of my friends, even my classmates are Christian (my school is dominantly Muslim), yet they aren't being discriminated in any way. They have their freedoms the same way as the other students, and none being discriminated there because of religion.

Shadow Fury and WhiteFang have good points, as long none wishes to decimates/destroy each other beliefs, it's alright. Though religion plays big part in life, but you know that humans are social beings, it's just that how you would put things AT THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT MOMENT.

6. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    But it could indeed be beneficial in a way, right? To destroy opposing view points or those wielding those views is a natural instinct humans have. Civilization advancement might just be slower humans didn't have that trait.

There's nothing bad in exchanging one another's beliefs and cultures except that it could be harmful to the existing system of a community that shares a common belief. When it is felt that they are harmed, as they are a part of a system, isn't it justified to defend your self from what you believe is harmful?

Although I'm not too familiar with Egypt's social standards, if what you say is true, then Egypt's government (or whoever is responsible) is doing a great job in influencing their populace that it's okay for people to interact with others that follow different religion.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  7. BlackEnvyX

BlackEnvyX

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's entirely due to how people were raised; for a good portion of my life, religious connotation was automatically associated with negativity due to my experiences as a child / teenager (your music is the devil, etc) and some people aren't able to get past their own experiences to look at each of the beliefs objectively. It's how the religion is introduced to people and how people accept the religion to begin with. Perception is key when it comes to religious beliefs as no one person believes completely the same, personal moral compasses will always have some sort of effect on one's religious views.

This honestly surprised me. With all of the negativity surrounding Egypt (at least in the perspective of people like myself from the US) I would have expected a much bleaker picture in terms of religious acceptance. (I may have a personal bias in this regard due to the fact that I used to have a friend who is gay / atheist who has had to hide who he is and what he believes for an apparent fear of death in Egypt.)

Well I see this point, but while someone may live their lives completely different does it necessarily mean that a person of a different belief will notice. Obviously clothing choices might be apparent, but if someone is going to judge another person for the clothes they wear, that seems to be a hang up on the part of the person partaking in the judgement. (Now, judgement on a lack of clothing is an unrelated matter and I won't jump into that as that's a different debate for a different day)

Exactly, most of the time in normal conversation religious beliefs won't come up, it's always one of the people in the conversation who feels the need to bring up said topics.

Harmful is a very subjective word throughout this paragraph and really it all depends on your own personal perception; do you believe analyzing and researching other's cultures and possibly adopting some traits would be beneficial to you as a person, or is your own culture more important?

8. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, but if there's no need for bloodshed and destruction, then why it's necessary?

Yes, if we all don't bring them up, then nobody got hurt.

9. BlackEnvyX

BlackEnvyX

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It is a bit disappointing to know that a lot of people can't handle conversations about religion though. Why does someone have to get "hurt" in an intellectual debate. It's a debate, not a life or death situation; it's just one person debating with another person over a certain concept, whether it be religion, science etc.

10. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If someone is deeply religious, one truly believes EVERYTHING and deems his ideas to be the ONLY truth, yet if that person meets another person with other beliefs who deems his beliefs to be the ONLY truth, it gets unpleasant for both of them, because they think the other person with other beliefs is WRONG and is a sinner or some kind. So it is based on your perspective. If you are religious and you will look at other people who do not follow your ideas as WEIRD and WRONG and so on, you will always find it difficult to interact. It also depends on social skills, empathy, intelligence and many other factors, there is no straight answer as every situation is rather individual and these individuals usually have some kind of their own reasons to be hardly interactive.

11. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    APproject said it.

12. chobibo

chobibo

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've seen a lot of religion themed debates in real life, most of the hatred starts when one debater makes ad hominem retorts... I had a classmate that loved debating but without the insults so nobody got aggressive and we all learned a thing or two from the experience.

I guess its all good until someone starts with the insults lol.

13. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's how humans are wired. Atheists are some of the most obnoxious and militant proselytizers there are. You fundamentally Other people in order to make sense of social groups in your mind. It's Us vs. Them.

Now, obviously many religious and non-religious folks alike are perfectly normal and don't try to convert anyone. Why? they have compassion. They are capable of viewing people outside of their own worldview as full, complex human beings, who are perfectly capable of living their own lives in a distinct and separate manner from theirs.

Compassion is rare. The more you have, the better.

14. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Interactions between people of different religions, why do some find it so difficult?

> Because people can't shut up about their religion.

Really, it's simple as that. Don't ask, don't tell.

15. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Maybe because religion stops humanity from moving forward and improving? If you are deeply religious it is only because someone else injected those ideas into your mind, not because those ideas are true and somehow you happen to follow the right ones, no, you were forced, just like everyone else who is religious (unless someone is with so little of critical thinking that one is being converted by the environment).

It is so easy to be militant as you say for non-religion just because it works and all the undenyable evidence is on this side, where as religion is held tight just because of conservative human mind that no matter what will not let you go of those ideas put into you from the childhood even if evidence is presented - one will always reject no matter what, it is how human mind if wired indeed. I am not saying the force convertion is any good, it is never good as long as there is such a thing as force, consciousness rising is what good in those situations. The only thing that people should really do is look for the evidence of their claims, if there is none, why to keep those ideas if it doesn't work?

You talk if Atheism is a religion and it attempts to convert non-believers into believers, which is false. If it atheism was a religion, then yes, they would be proselytizers because equal forces are met - religion and religion, but this is not the case. What atheists are trying to do is to show that religion doesn't work and evidence speaks for itself, it takes no faith to do so, it takes evidence and no matter what one's opinion is, it is always formed by evidence that constantly change in certain subjects. So you call the exposure of religious nonsense the attempt to convert, which is more like an attempt to help for one to get rid of what is so irrational, harmful and needless.
    Force is never good, but I think it takes exactly compassion to attempt to help and to care about fellow humanbeing who was forced to take those illogical and harmful ideas as true and for that one's life is dictated by those so called rules, eventaully leading to degeneration and a barrier from development, worldwide problems. How ridiculous it is to think *oh poor you, you will go to hell(or your critical thinking is non existant), but I don't care, so live your life* and call it compassion, it is not a compassion, it is *zero fucks given*. It is all fine as long as those believers live their own lifes, not imposing anything on others and especially their children, because what it will do it will lead to another generation of the same people who does nothing for the good of humanity, but raise few charities for the poor (although faith is not needed to do so).

16. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That is only on the internet. And given how people of that particular group is treated in real life, I find that to be no surprise at all. Because of religious fanaticism, they are one of the most discriminated minorities in the world after homosexuals. I mean Atheism is punishable by death in more countries than homosexuality is today.

17. InfernalTater

InfernalTater

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    People of different religions sometimes have a hard time getting along because having a different religion means believing different things, having a different moral compass in which things one religion considers right, another considers wrong, and different religions also value different personality traits which affects what sort of person followers of the religion will strive to be. This makes people of different religions different, and people who are different tend to not get along because of a primitive pack mentality that causes people who do not overcome this instinct to distrust and dislike people who are different. It doesn't help that many people preach to their followers that only their religion is right and that all other religions are wrong.

That is not to say nobody of different religions can get along; some find similarities in the way that they pursue knowledge that they cannot understand, that they strive to do what they believe is right, and that they believe in a higher power.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  18. neo_sluf

neo_sluf

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    IN A PERSPECTIVE OF A RELIGIOUS PERSON,

In a religion it is normal to the members to defend their faith and belief because it is a shame to yourself and religion if you dont.

The core reason why religions dont really unite because of the belief of RELIGION SUPERIORITY. If you believe your religion is the best then you cant prevent sometimes on bashing other peoples believes.

It's NORMAL. Religious leaders want to make their members fight others because well...

BIBLE teach you to defend your faith
    In order to strenghten your bond with God.

Which is wrong and clearly misinterpreted. As long as people have their religions there will always be a fight

19. N.Knight

N.Knight

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    But why only religion, people find it difficult to debate on any topic they dearly care about.

People of the 3 Abrahamic faiths and faiths derived from Abrahamic faiths (sufism, bahaism and others) should not have any problem coexisting or even debating religion because we essentially worship the same god and have the similar philosophical base. Unless you throw in orthodox extremist into the bunch.
    However, Buddhism and Hinduism are totally different schools of thought and it is nigh impossible for them to not have problems with Abrahamic faiths and vice versa.

20. Rilene

Rilene

Resources:
    Resources:
    My religion is catholic but in my current place, it is uncommon and people do not discriminate any religion in a negative way, but rarely... They do discriminate in a bad way, I personally find someone bashing on them with their opinions is just wrong.

People can't change other opinions that easily.