• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Integrate wc3 dot rivsoft dot net (website is gone)

Level 25
Integrate the previews of this website: WC3 Data (link removed since the website is gone wc3 dot rivsoft dot net
I think it is really useful, especially if you do not want to use tools or are on your smartphone or at work and only have some browser available. You can even see the whole map as 3D model and copy&paste links to modified object data.
I used it to look at Blizzard campaign maps.
The trigger editor preview seems to be missing, so it would be perfect if you combine this with your trigger data preview on Hive.

edit:
removed the link.
The website basically allowed an online MPQ/CASC viewer and even showed the whole terrain of a map in 3D, object data in table form etc. You could watch the whole map online and standard data from Warcraft.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
That website is... Incredible. I had no idea such a functionality could exist, much less already did. It even lets you jump around by making (e.g.) Abilities into Hyperlinks. Viewing the whole map, seeing all the Object Editor stuff... Remarkable!

It says it doesn't save to a server & it's all client-side; would it still work if I uploaded from my computer & opened on my phone?

I definitely would love to see this worked in to the site. It's like Ghostwolf's model viewer, but for maps.

It's like Ghostwolf's model viewer, but for maps.
Yes, it is Ghostwolf's model viewer, which Ghostwolf himself upgraded to support maps, and then the Riv guy added a couple of things.

I'm surprised you guys did not know about this. Substantial portions of this website such as the selection circles, unit shadows, ground textures, shoreline waves, etc were copied to build the Warsmash game engine. They fit nicely onto the Ghostwolf engine because they are literally made using it. You can read about this in the README of Warsmash on GitHub where I list credits and sources, and I also have a link to the GitHub page for the RivSoft project:

Is it something you have access to? I mean the source, owner, etc?
If I recall he posted things on discord in the past, maybe before Reforged. Or maybe he only posted on Hive. Regardless, his modified copy paste of Ghostwolf's viewer exists in a subdirectory of his github repo: GitHub - d07RiV/wc3data

Level 3
Hive integration would be amazing. Being able to use a browser to look through a map was amazing for the year or so I used it. Sadly the site is offline now :peasant-thumbs-down:

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
When I clicked on the link in the topic creator's post it came up with a fake capatch trying to trick you to enable browser notifications and a virus alert scam... Either the original website died or it is one shady site!

The mallicious site attempts to trick the user into accepting notifications using a fake capatch. It then will likely try to flood them with fake virus infection found notifications trying to pretend to bee the system anti virus software. Any sort of interaction almost certainly will try to trick the user into downloading/paying for fake anti virus products which would contain a malware payload.

Last edited:
Level 25
I get "Error. Page cannot be displayed. Please contact your service provider for more details. (29)". Probably dead? It worked when I posted it. Would be cool to have some more map previews like the trigger preview but also looking at standard data from Warcraft. However, if the tool is offline and there is no Open Source library for websites I can understand it would be too much work.

Level 7
Can someone make the project alive again? rivsoft was amazing to use, and its sad to see it gone

What are the technical requirements to actually build and run this? I briefly looked at it some time last year but it seemed like the build tools to gather the Warcraft 3 data and then host it were going to require me to do a bunch of stuff in Visual Studio that I didn't feel like doing. Also, even if it finished, it was hosting its own copy of Warcraft 3 assets. Also, I probably should not host Warcraft 3 game contents as myself the author of Warsmash. My project Warsmsah is something that I understand to be a legally permissible emulator because it does not include Warcraft 3 assets and only publicly offers downloads for community MIT licensed or GPL licensed code written by myself and other contributors.

But Hive has its own mirror of enough of the War3 assets to do model previewing. Maybe I could convince a mirror of Rivsoft to offload asset loading queries to ping Hive instead of my own infrastructure, then host my own mirror of Rivsoft that way where I would always be legally in the clear if Warsmash ever gets into trouble, because in my defense it would be like I was hosting a mirror of the Rivsoft code but the Hive were the ones responsible for providing users with Warcraft 3 data. Is that crazy? It would require modifying the Rivsoft stuff, though.

Edit:

Put simply: suppose I have an indefinite hosting budget, a Librem 14 enthusiast GNU+Linux machine that only runs open source code, and remote access to a VPS running something like debian with root access. What can/should I install or run to spin up an instance of this on the debian cloud server [that reads wc3 data from hive instead of itself]?

Last edited:
Level 7
What are the technical requirements to actually build and run this? I briefly looked at it some time last year but it seemed like the build tools to gather the Warcraft 3 data and then host it were going to require me to do a bunch of stuff in Visual Studio that I didn't feel like doing. Also, even if it finished, it was hosting its own copy of Warcraft 3 assets. Also, I probably should not host Warcraft 3 game contents as myself the author of Warsmash. My project Warsmsah is something that I understand to be a legally permissible emulator because it does not include Warcraft 3 assets and only publicly offers downloads for community MIT licensed or GPL licensed code written by myself and other contributors.

But Hive has its own mirror of enough of the War3 assets to do model previewing. Maybe I could convince a mirror of Rivsoft to offload asset loading queries to ping Hive instead of my own infrastructure, then host my own mirror of Rivsoft that way where I would always be legally in the clear if Warsmash ever gets into trouble, because in my defense it would be like I was hosting a mirror of the Rivsoft code but the Hive were the ones responsible for providing users with Warcraft 3 data. Is that crazy? It would require modifying the Rivsoft stuff, though.

Edit:

Put simply: suppose I have an indefinite hosting budget, a Librem 14 enthusiast GNU+Linux machine that only runs open source code, and remote access to a VPS running something like debian with root access. What can/should I install or run to spin up an instance of this on the debian cloud server [that reads wc3 data from hive instead of itself]?

No need to ask questions, just do it and boot up your own version of Rivsoft and we'll all be happy!!