• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Indomitable1319's Terrain Gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Alright, since you wanted my opinion on this.

There are a few things you really should work on, and then there are some things that you do relatively good enough, I won't point out the good parts though. First things first, never let the fog contrast with the sky, what I mean by that is simply don't have blue sky and red fog, it just doesn't look good, not even relatively. Always make sure that the fog smoothly fades away with the sky, having close to or exactly the same color, if you find yourself having a hard time making this fade, it's never useless to use the Glow model to work it out.

Second thing I would like to point out is depth, nearly all of your terrains seem to end abruptly, something most people here label "the end of the world" seeing as it seems that there is nothing behind the horrizon, if you ever get that feeling while terraining, then you should do something about it. What you do about this problem is simply to add more than one layer of mountains behind each other, preferably 2-3 layers, then having them fade into the fog by tinting and tweaking the fog till it seems like your terrain is neverending.

Last thing I want to point out is textures, you have a VERY bad habit of zooming in on doodads with either poor textures, or stretched textures. Make sure your camera is far away from any doodad, or ground, unless the textures are top-notch, which only a select few textures in existance are. I'd also like to point out that units never really work well with terrains :p Try doing terrains excluding units, that and I'd suggest you chose doodads a little better also, always try finding the best doodads available, or if you don't have very great doodads available, its always a possibility to mix up doodads to make structures and stuff, making it seem like it looks good.

In essence, just think that what you make should look great, natural and real. When you find yourself having that thought about your terrain, then thats about the time you should post it here and get some feedback.

Other than that, things look good enough. Keep them terrains comming ;)

Alright. :)
Sooo...

First Point - Alright, I'll go fix up the fog, but I've been having a bit of trouble lately. :)
I'm sure I'll get it with lots of practice.

Second Point - I see these with:
A Rocky Sunset, Misty Morning Fog, A Long Walk Home, Path to the Misty Crystal Forest and all of the A Hellish Battlefields.
I see your point, it seems kind of unproffessional. I'll add more mountains, then.

Third Point - Well, I must say that it ruins A Rocky Sunset and A Necromancer's Lair.
The golem looks bad; and the corpses don't look to good either.
I'll be sure to select better-looking doodads, and I'll be creative and combine some as well. About units, yeah; I had that same thought too.

Thank you so much! I'll try to brew a good terrain up soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.