• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

If i want to use a copyrighted image as my map's loading screen.. What must i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Im a beginner world maker, and right now i am creating a warcraft 3 map.. But i want to use a copyrighted image as my map's loadingscreen.. My map is remake of Square Enix's Final Fantasy..

Sorry my english is terrible, i hope you all understand..

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
It is a good idea to repeat the question in the message rather than the title alone.

As long as you have a licence to use/distribute the image in a way such as a Warcraft III map it is fine. If not then it is not fine and sites such as HiveWorkshop might remove your map from the map section and there may be legal repercussions. I do not know of anyone ever having any legal repercussions for doing so, likely because no one really cares about WC3, but it is still against the law in most countries as it is effectively theft of some sort.

Level 8
It is a good idea to repeat the question in the message rather than the title alone.

As long as you have a licence to use/distribute the image in a way such as a Warcraft III map it is fine. If not then it is not fine and sites such as HiveWorkshop might remove your map from the map section and there may be legal repercussions. I do not know of anyone ever having any legal repercussions for doing so, likely because no one really cares about WC3, but it is still against the law in most countries as it is effectively theft of some sort.

I'd add to this, that whatever leeway WC3 maps has right now due to obscurity, is going to be severely diminished once Reforged hits shelves.

Status
Not open for further replies.