• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

If everything became legal in 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zed

Zed

Level 7
What would you do?

Mine, visit disney.com without my parent's permission.

Level 22
10 mins is too short, but if still has time, Id like to kill all those criminals...
If you do that, you're going to be a criminal just like them dude, just chill with me and let's play monster hunter man haha XD

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
loading_dots.gif

Progress: 41%

Level 16
Rape is most likely to skyrocket during those ten minutes.

Do you honestly think rape would become more prevalent because law crumbles? This reminds me of the argument that if religion were to cease, immoral actions like abuse, harm, theft and cruelty would spiral out of control...

It is plain wrong. Just like your statement (no offence). Do you not rape people because a law says you cannot rape somebody? Or do you not rape somebody because you have come to the conclusion that rape is not acceptable. Perhaps you thought you'd treat people as you'd like them to treat you and it just so happens that you wouldn't want to be raped. Let's not forget the bystanders who would be disgusted and take action if somebody were to abduct say a child, a women, or even a man.

We can assume somebody in their right mind wont harm somebody else but sure, there are some sickos. Well I have news. Laws don't stop these people. There are millions of abuse cases everywhere around the world. Abolishment of a few laws won't make healthy people do the wrong by others.

Level 5
Do you honestly think rape would become more prevalent because law crumbles? This reminds me of the argument that if religion were to cease, immoral actions like abuse, harm, theft and cruelty would spiral out of control...

It is plain wrong. Just like your statement (no offence). Do you not rape people because a law says you cannot rape somebody? Or do you not rape somebody because you have come to the conclusion that rape is not acceptable. Perhaps you thought you'd treat people as you'd like them to treat you and it just so happens that you wouldn't want to be raped. Let's not forget the bystanders who would be disgusted and take action if somebody were to abduct say a child, a women, or even a man.

We can assume somebody in their right mind wont harm somebody else but sure, there are some sickos. Well I have news. Laws don't stop these people. There are millions of abuse cases everywhere around the world. Abolishment of a few laws won't make healthy people do the wrong by others.

Yes, all of this makes sense. Until you realize that humans aren't as rational as we might think. I'd personally never rape someone, not because it's illegal, but because it's against my moral code. But many people don't think like that. Why do you think the legal system exists if it's unnecessary? I can assure you that violent crime (murder, rape and robbery) would explode if there was nothing to stop and to punish it, because that's how human nature works.

There are sociopaths out there who are only kept in check by a legal system, and once that crumbles, nothing will stop them from doing whatever they want. Of course that a lot of crime and abuse happens already as it is, but if you think that a sudden spike of crime wouldn't happen without some kind of law in place, then you're mistaken. If you think that we are capable of behaving "right" without the existence of some kind of law, then I'm sorry, but you're just a naive idealist.

Level 14
Yes, all of this makes sense. Until you realize that humans aren't as rational as we might think. I'd personally never rape someone, not because it's illegal, but because it's against my moral code. But many people don't think like that. Why do you think the legal system exists if it's unnecessary? I can assure you that violent crime (murder, rape and robbery) would explode if there was nothing to stop and to punish it, because that's how human nature works.

There are sociopaths out there who are only kept in check by a legal system, and once that crumbles, nothing will stop them from doing whatever they want. Of course that a lot of crime and abuse happens already as it is, but if you think that a sudden spike of crime wouldn't happen without some kind of law in place, then you're mistaken. If you think that we are capable of behaving "right" without the existence of some kind of law, then I'm sorry, but you're just a naive idealist.

Do you think that the only reason for a bureaucratic legal system is to keep people with no morals in check? It provides a clearly defined set of rules, punishments and guidelines to follow in case of conflict. Also, just because majority of people don't commit crimes regularly, that doesn't make the legal system unnecessary simply because a society without any crime or lawsuits is impossible.

And what makes you think that people without moral boundaries give a damn about the law? If they want to do something and they think the risk of getting caught is acceptably low, they'll probably do it regardless of what the government says.

And don't even mention the "human nature". The societies we have today didn't just magically come to existence, they've developed for thousands of years. The real human nature is to coexist and form stable societies with reasonable safety from violence. Even before cities and permanent settlements existed, humans surely didn't go around murdering and raping as they pleased, that would have collapsed the tribe/group very quickly.

You'd be surprised at how many people there are out there that'd be willing to do horrible things, given the chance. Yes, I do think there would be more rape, aswell as more assault and murder.

People get away with crossing certain lines far too often. Some of us, their victims, don't like having to take that. The moment we can act without consequence, we make sure those wretches never cross another line again.

You seem to have forgotten, nuke, that there are plenty of horrible people out there, that have made quite a few bitter enemies. Just imagine what happens to all of those scumbags when their victims can act out any of their most brutal fantasies in retaliation.

Level 14
You'd be surprised at how many people there are out there that'd be willing to do horrible things, given the chance. Yes, I do think there would be more rape, aswell as more assault and murder.

People get away with crossing certain lines far too often. Some of us, their victims, don't like having to take that. The moment we can act without consequence, we make sure those wretches never cross another line again.

You seem to have forgotten, nuke, that there are plenty of horrible people out there, that have made quite a few bitter enemies. Just imagine what happens to all of those scumbags when their victims can act out any of their most brutal fantasies in retaliation.

And I feel that you're greatly overestimating the number of vengeful people around there.

Not really. Let's say you get raped, or your girlfriend or daughter gets raped. They 'catch' the rapist, and some bullshit happens in the court. That rapist gets away free. Chances are, you wouldn't want to go to jail for giving that rapist the beating he deserves.

Suddenly, everything is legal for a short while. That means you can break that rapists' neck without consequence. Think up any crime that directly affects someone else. Murders, rapes, theft, fraud, kidnapping, those kind of things. If you lose everything to some wretch, and have to live on the street like scum, chances are you'd love ten minutes alone with them.

Level 14
Not really. Let's say you get raped, or your girlfriend or daughter gets raped. They 'catch' the rapist, and some bullshit happens in the court. That rapist gets away free. Chances are, you wouldn't want to go to jail for giving that rapist the beating he deserves.

Suddenly, everything is legal for a short while. That means you can break that rapists' neck without consequence. Think up any crime that directly affects someone else. Murders, rapes, theft, fraud, kidnapping, those kind of things. If you lose everything to some wretch, and have to live on the street like scum, chances are you'd love ten minutes alone with them.

Now you're overestimating both the amount of vengeful people around there and the amount of criminals who have gotten away.

Level 16
But many people don't think like that. Why do you think the legal system exists if it's unnecessary? I can assure you that violent crime (murder, rape and robbery) would explode if there was nothing to stop and to punish it, because that's how human nature works.

Your forgetting my last statement about laws being broken every day. Laws are mere words that decide what is right and wrong and details a process of consequence. Serious abuse is being committed by those who don't fear the law. The rest of us don't commit abuse because we understand and fear consequence, and by consequence, I don't just mean prison as decided by law. I also mean social isolation, hatred from society, friends and loved ones, self guilt, religious means, going against personal morals, etc, etc.

If we abolish laws temporarily, there are still consequences to your actions and you'd be an idiot not to realize these consequences. The law is not the one and only solution to crime.

If you think that we are capable of behaving "right" without the existence of some kind of law, then I'm sorry, but you're just a naive idealist.

I'm not offended by being called an idealist. On the contrary I feel honored. There is nothing wrong with believing in a world of better people. Though I don't think I'm being naive. I think the abuse you fear is already here right under your nose. It's just you can't see the trees through the forest. Law seems to delude you of truth.

The moment we can act without consequence, we make sure those wretches never cross another line again.

I do believe consequence remains with or without law, just in another form like I mentioned above.

Torrent a movie.

Won't work because it was legal during those 10 minutes.

But it will become illegal after those ten minutes? They will be punished after those ten minutes by the current law system- IF any proof is given.

Torrent a movie? Is that a crime? I see millions of people worldwide doing it and don't get punished.. weird.

Level 5
Your forgetting my last statement about laws being broken every day. Laws are mere words that decide what is right and wrong and details a process of consequence. Serious abuse is being committed by those who don't fear the law. The rest of us don't commit abuse because we understand and fear consequence, and by consequence, I don't just mean prison as decided by law. I also mean social isolation, hatred from society, friends and loved ones, self guilt, religious means, going against personal morals, etc, etc.

I'm quite aware of laws being broken every day. Every moment even. I'm simply saying (which is quite logical), that even though justice system doesn't often work as intended, it is sometimes the only reason (fear of punishment) that deters potential offenders. Besides, remember the old saying "some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill them"? It's still true to this day. I mean, let's say someone hurt you or someone you love, wouldn't you want to take the matter in your own hands without worrying that you'd end up in prison for several years if you do?

If we abolish laws temporarily, there are still consequences to your actions and you'd be an idiot not to realize these consequences. The law is not the one and only solution to crime.

Of course, but it all depends on what kind of crimes we're talking about, and the motivations behind them. If you're piss poor, and in opportunity to rob a bank or something, you wouldn't really concern yourself about what "the neighbor might say". You'd only concern yourself with "can I get jail time if I do it", at least that's how I see it.

I'm not offended by being called an idealist. On the contrary I feel honored. There is nothing wrong with believing in a world of better people. Though I don't think I'm being naive. I think the abuse you fear is already here right under your nose. It's just you can't see the trees through the forest. Law seems to delude you of truth.

All idealists are naive by nature. I'm not deluded by anything. Injustice happens everyday, and legal system is more often than not, powerless to stop it. The only thing that I am saying is that there would be more carnage without it..

As simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.