• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #20 - Old Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.
hive-logo-m-png.335473

ct_icon-png.311495
contest-png.311487
20-png.351379

ic20-banner-png.364948

old-glory-png.365199

Create 3 icons for a model of your choice from a pool of contest winners. One icon for a portrait, and two icons for abilities. Classic submissions only.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • Your work must be mostly freehand. CnPs, trace-overs or heavy referencing existing artwork are not permitted. Use of textures and filter work is permitted.
  • You must show at least 2 Works-in-Progress (WIP) for each of your submissions, before the deadline, as proof that they're yours.
  • Drawing on canvas size smaller than 256x256 pixels: the .psd file may be required as the verification of authorship.
  • The icons must be made specifically for the contest. No previous works are allowed.
  • The icons must be uploaded to the Icon Section and linked in the contest thread before the submission period ends. After the submission period ends, the icons mustn't be updated until the contest poll is over.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Judges may not participate.

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubt towards a certain rule, you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread, so judges and others may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 45 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 30 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 15 reputation points
  • Entry: 5 reputation points
  • Judge: 5 reputation points per entrant
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Technical Note
How well-drawn the submissions are, in terms of quality & artistry. Elements such as the color, shape, definition, clarity, shading, realism, proportions, details, and expressiveness will be considered./55

Creativity
How unexpected and creative are the ideas? How original and unique?/25

Blizzard Style
Is the style similar to standard icons?/10

Theme
Are the icons visually coherent? How fitting are they for chosen model?/10

/100

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
Final Score = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 1st of October 2020 and conclude on 10th of November 2020 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: @Mythic

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I'm excited; not just to see another Icon Contest, but I love the idea of making use of the decade+ of great resources & Contests prior for future Contests. No better way to build up the community, increase the viability of it's resources, and introduce interesting constraints. : ) (though I'm a little sad at how few there are to choose from; couldn't go further back? Or grab the top 3 of each Contest?)

But also, this is the first time I've noticed this little juicy nugget:
Judge: 5 reputation points per entrant
Fan-friggin-tastic, I say.

We've long known that getting Judges is the hardest part, and I've long thought that we should increase the rewards to try & entice more involvement. However I was thinking too small (going from 5 to 10 or 20 or even 50): scaling rewards based on the number of entrants not only makes complete & total sense, but it's a very robust way to reward Judges when the Judging gets long. Love it.

Fingers crossed someone does the Toad Rider, or maybe the Hippocampus. The Frog Brewers are great but already have a solid portrait icon...

Level 50
A quick note, In the previous icon contest I altered the rules to reduce the workload, it was first time you needed to make 3 instead of 4 icons. This contest follows that pattern, however the time frame of this contest has 10 days not substracted, but added. In other words, 4 icons = 30 days contest, 3 icons = around 20 days, however this contest lasts 40 days.

So, those who wish to participate should not ask for additional extensions and instead have their work done on time as the contest already has time frame generously altered in favor of giving additional time despite the reduced workload.

My final. Good luck to you guys!

SetDesciption
BTNEmberKnight.png A Servant of the Flames!
BTNMoltenSteps.png Molten Steps
The Ember Knight ignores all CC's and leaves small erupting pools of lava that deal damage per second to any enemy that comes in contact with them, and reduces their armor.
BTNFireCrackerMaul.png FireCracker Maul
The Ember Knight takes a second to wind up his maul and deliver attacks that burst out flaming projectiles upon the victim that also split and explode on surrounding enemies.

Attachments

• EmberKnight2.png
    EmberKnight2.png
    465.4 KB · Views: 117
  • MoltenStepss.png
    MoltenStepss.png
    418.9 KB · Views: 122
  • FireCrackerMaull.png
    FireCrackerMaull.png
    425.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
HellKnight.png

HELL KNIGHT - ICON CONTEST #20 - ENTRY - By Mr.Goblin

ICONNAME
BTNPortraitDV.png
HELL KNIGHT - PORTRAIT
The Hell knight, a lesser demon fuel by hatred: the most vile of poisons.

BTNPoisonspikes.png
SPELL 01 - POISON SPIKES
Any units who attack the Hell knight has a chance to be inflicted by the demon's poison.
Spell_02_06.png
SPELL 02 -VENOM GRIP
The Hellknight launches towards a single target. Inflict your target with poison, lasts 20 seconds and deals X Damage per second + the enemy has slowed movement speed and attack speed.

DOWNLOAD HERE
For learning purposes, You can download the PSD and see my lousy work and structure :) cheers!

My entry was based on the hero model HELLKNIGHT created by the amazing Dionesiist.
portrait.gifSpell_01.gif Spell_02.gif

Attachments

• Hellknight_byMrGoblin.psd
    14.1 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Level 34
View attachment 367861
HELL KNIGHT - ICON CONTEST #20 - ENTRY - By Mr.Goblin

ICONNAME
View attachment 367859 HELL KNIGHT - PORTRAIT
The Hell knight, a lesser demon fuel by hatred: the most vile of poisons.

View attachment 367858 SPELL 01 - POISON SPIKES
Any units who attack the Hell knight has a chance to be inflicted by the demon's poison.
View attachment 367860 SPELL 02 -VENOM GRIP
The Hellknight launches towards a single target. Inflict your target with poison, lasts 20 seconds and deals X Damage per second + the enemy has slowed movement speed and attack speed.

DOWNLOAD HERE
For learning purposes, You can download the PSD and see my lousy work and structure :) cheers!

My entry was based on the hero model HELLKNIGHT created by the amazing Dionesiist.
View attachment 367864View attachment 367863 View attachment 367865

Love those colors, so vibrant! really clean and sharp, and very creative with the concept, never imagined that model using poison abilities!

Looking amazing, the model having tons of abilities animations and you being the co-author must be really helpful, these are the most fitting icons i've seen!

Level 50
Hello. We need you to post more WIPs of early versions of your icons, as we suspect they were not made in the intended way. Kindly also provide PSDs for each icon. You have a day before the poll is posted. Your actions will decide whether you'll be included.

I got this message from contest host.
Have I joined website yesterday and posted one icon so far to be talked to with such tone?
You know, I spend so much time and effort on those resources. Everything I posted I have spent a lot of time working on, drawing them from sketch to the completion, everything hand drawn. And I have been doing that for a long time now. And then I get messages like this? Well, I don't need that.

And there you go more wips, if you still have doubts feel free to not include me in the poll, as I certainly don't care anymore.

001WIP.png 001WIP.png 002WIP.png 003WIP.png 004WIP.png 006WIP.png 007WIP.png 008WIP.png 009WIP.png 0010WIP.png 0011WIP.png

01WIP.png 02WIP.png 03WIP.png 04WIP.png 05WIP.png 06WIP.png 07WIP.png 08WIP.png 09WIP.png 010WIP.png 011WIP.png 012WIP.png 013WIP.png 014WIP.png

0WIP.png 00WIP.png 1WIP.png 2WIP.png 3WIP.png 4WIP.png 5WIP.png 6WIP.png 7WIP.png 8WIP.png 9WIP.png 10WIP.png 11WIP.png 12WIP.png 13WIP.png 14WIP.png

Reactions: San
Level 34
lol ain't Mythic the host? who also happens to be the co-author (along with you), of the model you choose to make icons for? wtf, he should know very well your work, since you made the texture and concept from the ground for his friggin model o_o

Hm, this is totally strange! I mean I don't get it. What's the intended way in the staff's eyes? Freehand? Pretty sure that's what Murloco is giving us, not even 75%, but a hundred I believe!

I know GIMP on a basic level. Those are GIMP brushes, GIMP style. I can tell those are completely drawn just by looking.

The contest also clearly states 2 WIPs:
  • You must show at least 2 Works-in-Progress (WIP) for each of your submissions, before the deadline, as proof that they're yours.

So.. if this is the contest rules, what's with the "more WIPs" thing, especially for a member skilled and trustworthy?

Level 50
Hm, this is totally strange! I mean I don't get it. What's the intended way in the staff's eyes? Freehand? Pretty sure that's what Murloco is giving us, not even 75%, but a hundred I believe!

I know GIMP on a basic level. Those are GIMP brushes, GIMP style. I can tell those are completely drawn just by looking.

The contest also clearly states 2 WIPs:

So.. if this is the contest rules, what's with the "more WIPs" thing, especially for a member skilled and trustworthy?

lol ain't Mythic the host? who also happens to be the co-author (along with you), of the model you choose to make icons for? wtf, he should know very well your work, since you made the texture and concept from the ground for his friggin model o_o

Exactly. Hard to believe on various levels and I request for an explanation as to what is behind all of this.

To single me out without proper reason and demand for WIPs which are not described by contest rules, and even go so far to threaten that I have one day to provide all this content otherwise I will be disqualified, is type of behavior I will not tolerate. I am not some random noob who joined website two days ago to talk to me like that. I don't even need to remind about my experience, resources and my well known attitude towards clean creative process.

My guess is that another member who is now too shy to raise his hand, has, for whatever reason, somehow deceived Mythic into thinking those icons were made by ''not intended way'', whatever that means.

Regardless of that, it is beyond understanding to receive such warning from someone with whom I have literally made the very model for which I now created icons. We had hundred pages of conversation when making that model, worked entire month on creating it, discussed and reworked every single detail.

It is time to hear some explanation to this situation.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
The poll is delayed. Mythic lives in an area where there is currently dangerous weather causing black outs.

it’s important to note that there’s a whole team behind these mysterious actions and Mythic has to navigate in what he hears. We had some suspicions about foul play. We have to take that seriously regardless of how established the person in question is. I agree it is never nice to be suspected of something.

Anyway. When the poll is posted, it will include Murloc’s entry. But we have to wait it out and cross our fingers that Mythic is okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.