• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #18 - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys.

The second thread is here to stay.

I was thinking that we could do themes like the following:

Goblins vs Gnomes - Hearthstone exp inspiration

Emerald Nightmare - again Xavius needs an army of corrupted folks, nature and so much more

Demonic Summoning - thing about Portal Keeper Hazabel's fight in Legion or the Karazhan fight. So many ideas on how to portal to demon realms or summon and army of demons, etc.

There always must be a Lich King - turn one of Warcraft 3 Heroes into new Death Knight.
Draw new ability icons (4) to suit their new role, but save the idea of the spell itself.
Hero Example: Paladin (HU) -> Death Knight (UD)
Icon Example: Ressurection -> Animate Dead

Sci-Fi Alternative - draw 4 futuristic icon versions of Warcraft 3 standard icons

'took some ideas from older discussion threads.

Ideas will be added here if you post.

Past contests

Last edited:
Level 50
Well, for starters I'd make it 3 abilities + 1 portrait for ''There always must be a Lich King''. That theme seems interesting and engaging enough to attract people and offers a lot of space for creativity I suppose. This theme would probably be my choice in a poll.
Some other ideas would be:
Host/assigned mod picks one custom model and every contestant needs to make portrait icon + 3 ability icons for it (or makes a shortlist of custom models from which contestants choose themselves model they want to make icons for)

Sci-fi on paper is very interesting, however I'm not sure if it would attract many contestants.

Unit corresponding icons, themes I had picked back when I hosted 15th and 16th icon contests. Because they are very easy and inviting for anyone with a bit of imagination, since contestants can pick whatever in game unit they want and give it abilities they find fitting.

I don't mind thematically specific contests, however I don't think they are best choice since these contests desperately need more contestants at this moment, not themes which may filter out people. So themes which offer space for every contestant are my suggestion.

Level 49
In my opinion, we can host icon contest with theme "Make him Hero", that mean you can choose any ingame character and give him hero abilities. I don't think we will need unit icon, because there are warcraft 3 icons for units, but there can be a huge space for creative solutions around upgrading some casual unit into a hero with 3 or even 4 abilities.

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
Goblins v Gnomes is my favorite in that list, there's a lot of potential there and those two races need more love :)

My suggestion is:

Alchemy Shop - Quest Items for ingredients (like mushrooms and dried bat wings), containers (jeweled phials, skull flasks, jars of eyeballs...) or other test equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.