• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #12 - Spells on Different Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actual state:
209577-albums5234-picture87175.png
209577-albums5234-picture87016.png
209577-albums5234-picture87468.png
209577-albums5234-picture87845.png
209577-albums5234-picture87860.png
209577-albums5234-picture87863.png

Feedback is appreciated!

Last edited:
Level 25
LOOKS NICE BRO:goblin_good_job::goblin_good_job::goblin_good_job::goblin_good_job:

Thanks!

lack of detail results in outlined dull style.

Please give some positive comments too, atleast I TRIED making some FREEHAND, and I give my all and this is what you will say? You're so negative. Being your icon not allowed here will not mean you can insult other people.

EDIT:
Finals:
icons_17563_btn.jpg

icons_17562_btn.jpg

icons_17564_btn.jpg

icons_17565_btn.jpg

Get them in the Icon Section while they're hot :) I know they're blurry but it's not in-game.

Here:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/icons-541/btngromberserk2-256299/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/icons-541/btnarthaslifedrain-256300/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/icons-541/btnmountaingiantpulverize-256301/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/icons-541/btnnecromanceranimatedead-256302/

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Nice to see another contestant... contesting! :p

Definitely some interesting ideas you have there, Chen; many of them seem to struggle with a certain 'fuzzy' or 'blurry' quality, but I'm not quite sure I can put my finger on it. Anyway, good luck!

lack of detail results in outlined dull style.
Please give some positive comments too, atleast I TRIED making some FREEHAND, and I give my all and this is what you will say? You're so negative. Being your icon not allowed here will not mean you can insult other people.
A Void, before you defend yourself saying that 'you're just critiquing' or whatever, recognize that 'tone' and 'balance' are equally as important as the words you say (especially on the Internet). You're post contains no positive advice or encouragement to counter-balance the negative, and is written in a style the borders on rude.

Consider the effect your words have on others.

Nice to see another contestant... contesting! :p

Definitely some interesting ideas you have there, Chen; many of them seem to struggle with a certain 'fuzzy' or 'blurry' quality, but I'm not quite sure I can put my finger on it. Anyway, good luck!

A Void, before you defend yourself saying that 'you're just critiquing' or whatever, recognize that 'tone' and 'balance' are equally as important as the words you say (especially on the Internet). You're post contains no positive advice or encouragement to counter-balance the negative, and is written in a style the borders on rude.

Consider the effect your words have on others.

I was just criticizing his style of icons, this is after all appropriate theme to do this or I cant even do that? I am helping him understand his mistakes rather than secretly lie to him that his icons are detailed and excellent. Apparently it is otherwise and I am just stating my opinion about it. You can ignore the opinion if you need to. And please don't pretend that I insulted you, when I haven't even included any slightest insults.

Edit: His final icons look rather worse, they look blurred and dumped-out. <My Opinion, as always>.

Level 31
Thanks!

EDIT:
Finals:
icons_17563_btn.jpg

icons_17562_btn.jpg

icons_17564_btn.jpg

icons_17565_btn.jpg

Get them in the Icon Section while they're hot :) I know they're blurry but it's not in-game.

Here:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/icons-541/btngromberserk2-256299/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/icons-541/btnarthaslifedrain-256300/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/icons-541/btnmountaingiantpulverize-256301/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/icons-541/btnnecromanceranimatedead-256302/

First of all, good job on completing your first contest entry :) And, on this page, you should upload a .png version of your icons instead of a .jpg, they won't look blurry this way.

As for the icons, they are good but I have a few tips for you. Drawing heads is no easy task, try using a reference picture to help you get the proportions right. This should also give you hints on where to apply shades and where to apply lights (depending on the light source that you personally chose). Also, when shading or highlighting a surface, try using a different color to create a realistic look. For example, if you want to apply shadow on a yellow surface, you might want to use a dark orange or even red-ish color. Let's talk about the backgrounds now, for the mountain giant icon, the glow/effect that you made on the ground could be a bit more dramatic/dynamic/eye candy/(whatever!!), don't let us see the end of the spikes, make them more colorful, make them less opaque etc. The red glow on the orc icon has the same flaws...

I could go on, but damnit, it's getting late and I'm tired XD Anyways, keep on drawing and all that stuff I just said should naturally come to you.

EDIT: Looking at your big sized drawings on the last page, your not making it easy for yourself, you should draw in a bigger size like 350x350 so you can detail your work easily (i personally prefer 512x512). Of course, if you feel comfortable to draw at this size, go on, but you can always make your image at a bigger size and zoom-out to draw and zoom-in when necessary.

Level 25
I was just criticizing his style of icons, this is after all appropriate theme to do this or I cant even do that? I am helping him understand his mistakes rather than secretly lie to him that his icons are detailed and excellent. Apparently it is otherwise and I am just stating my opinion about it. You can ignore the opinion if you need to. And please don't pretend that I insulted you, when I haven't even included any slightest insults.

Edit: His final icons look rather worse, they look blurred and dumped-out. <My Opinion, as always>.

I'm rather a noob/begginer or discouraged because of you. I repeat, At least I tried making some freehand unlike you.

First of all, good job on completing your first contest entry :) And, on this page, you should upload a .png version of your icons instead of a .jpg, they won't look blurry this way.

As for the icons, they are good but I have a few tips for you. Drawing heads is no easy task, try using a reference picture to help you get the proportions right. This should also give you hints on where to apply shades and where to apply lights (depending on the light source that you personally chose). Also, when shading or highlighting a surface, try using a different color to create a realistic look. For example, if you want to apply shadow on a yellow surface, you might want to use a dark orange or even red-ish color. Let's talk about the backgrounds now, for the mountain giant icon, the glow/effect that you made on the ground could be a bit more dramatic/dynamic/eye candy/(whatever!!), don't let us see the end of the spikes, make them more colorful, make them less opaque etc. The red glow on the orc icon has the same flaws...

I could go on, but damnit, it's getting late and I'm tired XD Anyways, keep on drawing and all that stuff I just said should naturally come to you.

EDIT: Looking at your big sized drawings on the last page, your not making it easy for yourself, you should draw in a bigger size like 350x350 so you can detail your work easily (i personally prefer 512x512). Of course, if you feel comfortable to draw at this size, go on, but you can always make your image at a bigger size and zoom-out to draw and zoom-in when necessary.

Thanks! But I have no more time to improve them. Maybe next time :)

Edit:Gotta go sleep. I might improve these if i still have time remaining :)

Last edited:
Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Reworked horns and overall more sharpen
Sorry to keep complaining, but now the horns' angles make them seem to be converging. Demons' horns are usually diverging, though satyrs horn angles are a bit less pronounced.
I still think you could make the horns stand out better if you colored them a little more dark grey. They are better than in your previous version though.

Probably Final Entry:

Charm for Priestess of the Moon:
209577-albums5234-picture87908.png

Fan of Knives for Harpy:
209577-albums5234-picture87907.png

War Stomp for Naga Royal Guard:
209577-albums5234-picture87925.png

Critical Strike for Sylvanas Windrunner:
209577-albums5234-picture87911.png

Download: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/dsrp7w/_files/Icon%20Contest%2012%20Entry.zip
I like all of them. I believe the complaints you have received on the naga royal guard's war stomp is that the tail makes a strange angle. It's as if the naga was leaning forward or the side (really much) and the connection of that posture to the act of war stomping is unclear.
Very good job.

Level 10
My entry.
Scratchwork, I fallowed every rule.
I hope you like it! :)

Acolyte icon pack:

Charm:
kTUKFQl.jpg

Ethereal Form:
I1txkLb.jpg

Dark Ritual:
HeNkbyG.jpg