• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #11 - A Hero's Skillset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Wow, why is everyone mad at PeeKay suddenly :D? It aint bad, I mean these icons are amazing! Sure, they don't match that well, I mean that second looks like a sword, which, in my opinion, has nothing to do with werewolves and the colors aren't that... matchy, but, wow, these icons are good :p

If you take a look at the hero PeeKay based his icons on, you'll see that its model does in fact use blades, so there's nothing wrong with the second icon.
Now, I agree with everyone about the color differentiations and whatnot, but I'm guessing he wanted to use the colors of the icons used for the hero.
My personal favourite is the third one; it's obvious that it represents a wolfman howling (someone said that its image wasn't clear).

Level 49
actualy i mostly love Kola icons, he realy rise up for past year :)

what i wanted to say about my entry - the fist thing i following when making some icon - usefullnes. So, cuz of that, "boring" design of second skill maybe not really badass and unique, but really useful for some secondary abilities, buffs and passives. So, in that case i saved purple color scheme of first icon, let it can be used aswell as an icon, as a replace for basic orc ability or for any skill based on a summon\use of spirit wolf model. The third icon is lacks universality, but can be also find a use in pair with some lycanthrope model. The last icon fits universality of first two icons and can be used on any units with wolf theme included or for upgrade icon.
At the icon section some people disgusting it's red color; but how would you else image in cartoonish style something badass?

Last edited:
Level 15
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1951940-post41.html
The base hero.
Icons:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

As he mantioned before, blizzard rarely use the one and only color for all of the hero icon: and by that I mean that this colorfull iconset is defenintly my favorite so far!

Level 49
i´ll join ! :)
i finished icons for Mephestrial´s Hero

auras.png

rainingblood.png

reapz.png

i´ll finish the fourth after i reinstall the photoshop :)

Dude, PLEASE, rework em.
1. Looks realy dirity and overdarkened. Add recognizable shape defination, more variations of colors, let this icon be recognisable from far.
2. In a case that first one shows some sort of thorns (?), the second looks like blooded(?) throns. But well, choosen colors are realy break off the expression and i really cannot understand, what is actualy shown on it.
3. White background? It is trolling? You know that white color is the brightest one in any color-scheme, so, all other elements are darken than the background. In a case that these objects are not "contrasted shown", and u try use details on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 49
Free themed contests attract more people, and are more pleasant.

With so few entries. Maybe is best to change the contest theme to more people participate.

actualy there is no so much people that making icons and want parcipicate. But ok, i thing is realy bad idea to make a judging or post results with just 3 or 4 entries. Too bad for us.

Level 15
actualy there is no so much people that making icons and want parcipicate. But ok, i thing is realy bad idea to make a judging or post results with just 3 or 4 entries. Too bad for us.

Don't be like that, cheer up! the only reason there aren't a lot of entries is that all others are watching and want to know how to make icons like them.
Get cheered up you all! even one entry is a lot!!! go go go 3-4 entries of best icons in the site.
Go go , go ,gogo!. :fp:
:goblin_yeah: :thumbs_up: :goblin_good_job:

Level 49
Don't be like that, cheer up! the only reason there aren't a lot of entries is that all others are watching and want to know how to make icons like them.
Get cheered up you all! even one entry is a lot!!! go go go 3-4 entries of best icons in the site.

So, maybe then let rehost this contest with the point in rules that obligate parcipicators to make a short tutorial with explanation of how they create thier icons and let judges make some new point in judging-ratings about tutorials too? It sounds interesting and, i think, will be much more useful than an actual type of contests?

Level 25

This is incorrect. Personally I chose not to join because the theme is just boring as heck and is very limited creativity-wise. I reckon others feel likewise. Hopefully the next contest will allow for some more artistic freedom.

Level 49
This is incorrect. Personally I chose not to join because the theme is just boring as heck and is very limited creativity-wise. I reckon others feel likewise. Hopefully the next contest will allow for some more artistic freedom.

I had same ideas, but i love contests and challenges, so, i always up for some events. But theme is really, really boring.

Level 49
The theme of this icon contest is very similar to the one we previously had for #10.
So naturally, it's limited and not too attractive.
However, as I said, this theme was sure to be hosted next (for further information, you can ask Pharaoh_).

Ow, no, really no. Your theme at #10 was great for an theme-based icon contest with a lot of artistic-freedom. It's works was based on just a model with any of skills ideas, so, u no needed just turn on your mad-fantasy and make some skill-set of images based on your OWN view of fitting abilities for the hero. At this contest we have an ready hero with lore, and skills, and we need just to replace basic icons with something fitting. So, its around only 40 heroes (i remind that previous contest was not limited by some special models) with fixed skills (totaly 4*40 = 160 skills). And problem is that these new icons should fit original spell, so, there for each one icon is too limited space for creativity. It is incomparable themes. One is huge and unlimited, other is limited like a $%#$. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.