1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Icon Contest #10 ~ The Poll

Discussion in 'Poll Depository' started by Pharaoh_, Jul 29, 2012.

?

Which entry do you like the most?

Poll closed Aug 15, 2012.
  1. Apheraz Lucent

18.8%
  2. Fjury

7.3%
  3. Marcos DAB

22.9%
  4. PeeKay

26.0%
  5. kola

7.3%
  6. morbent

3.1%
  7. JollyD

2.1%
  8. Sin'dorei300

12.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This post is overtly hostile, I don't like your tone.

I didn't realize he had announced it, I just noticed today.

2. I3lackDeath

I3lackDeath

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Oh, don't be so sensitive. I shall use /sarcasm from now on. -.-

3. JollyD

JollyD

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Calm down please, both.

4. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I won't be.

Btw your post count is 777.

5. GhostKnife

GhostKnife

Resources:
    Resources:
    These all look great, and a lot of work put into them. Nice work to all!

6. BeTaGod-

BeTaGod-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow really high quality work here! Kinda hard choice, but i went for Apheraz Lucent. Good luck to all though!

7. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Peekay is in the lead!

8. Xian

Xian

Resources:
    Resources:
    At least on this contest there's no one that has like 30 votes and all others got 4, lol, this made the contest interesting.

9. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No the interesting part is, Sin'dorei and Apheraz have the highest quality icons and they are very far behind.

10. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Another poll voting discussion? *Sigh*
    That's why poll makes 25 or 30% of total scoring.

I just can't wait for the results! Polls should be shorter :mad:

11. I3lackDeath

I3lackDeath

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I'd like to hear your definition of quality in this case.
    Actually, no, I don't.

Also, what Apheraz said. Polls don't count that much towards the actual results, for a good reason. I am looking forward to the results, as this should be a pretty close call between some contestants.

12. Kingz

Kingz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Taken from zephyr contest #9.

o.o

Just find it odd and wanted to share.

13. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well it just seems to me, PeeKay's icons are very undefined, and not sharp, they just lack a crispness, especially the unit icon, which lacks shading on the beak, and generally looks pretty cartoonish, and the colors don't contrast at all. Apheraz's on the other hand are very sharp, very defined, good flare effects, really nice contrast of colors.

Sin'dorei has a nice color scheme, very clear and defined, though the unit icon is a bit cartoonish, the heavy bash icon is absolutely superb.

And MarcosDAB has a good color scheme, but the icons are relatively misshapen in certain places, and I can't really tell what they are, or what they represent.

I voted for FJury just on originality.

14. Kingz

Kingz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Here is my opinion on some of the icons:

No offense but to me Apheraz's icons seem to be trying too much.
    They got all these effects and background elements that are trying to hide some flaws of the actual icon object.
    I am not an artist so this again is my subjective opinion.

On the other hand i found Peekay's icons quite marvelous, thus my vote for him.
    The beak of the unit and the freedom one could use a little tiny bit more work perhaps but others are superb really.

The other contestant i wanted to vote for was certainly Sin'dorei300 as the bash icon is just spectacular but the drink ale is meh.

Fjury would have probably made a much better entry with his last 2 skills if he had the time, i really like 3 of those.

Others did good also, i am just pointing out some i find personally peculiar.

15. I3lackDeath

I3lackDeath

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I always looked at contest entries regarding multiple criteria, an important one for me was improvement. I really love all of PeeKay's work, yet he is set in his style already, hence you don't see any "improvement" there.
    Sin improved well since he started, Apheraz aswell. Both have their unique style, but still try various things out to stretch their limits and reach new areas.
    Marcos has improved a lot starting from IC #9 aswell.
    I haven't seen too much of Fjury, so I can't say too much about him as an artist.
    Jolly finished quite some journey aswell, he improved over time, yet there's still more for him to learn (techniques, experimenting with effects and stuff).

All in all, as I said multiple times by now, the entries of this contest very impressive, hence it will be interesting to see the results. Also, every contestant shows a different style, which makes contests even more interesting and the results versatile.

16. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I like that you are leaving feedback for the entries, guys. I implore you to keep doing this, when voting on a poll. :]

17. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes the drink ale icon and unit icon are meh, too cartoonish.

Where we disagree, is that I think the flares and effects in Apheraz's make it look all the more spectacular, rather than hide some obscure flaws, the icons wouldn't be the same without the effects.

18. I3lackDeath

I3lackDeath

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I am really tired of this "too cartoonish" argument. If you want icons to fit in with Warcraft 3, they have to be cartoonish to a certain degree. If you want photo realism, icon creating is not the way to go, and it is ridiculous to go that way. Why waste your time to create a photo-realistic image for a 64x64 picture?

Hence "realism" is no judging criteria, Blizzard feeling (cartoonish looks, positioning, colours, dynamics etc etc.) is.

19. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Spotted the secrets of my style, haven't you? :)

If you take a closer look, there are two main colors used in each icon: Pink skin tone color and Purple armor color. Since they are next to each other in the color circle, they do wonders in color matching. Blue goes after purple, green afterwards, so everything matches well and flows, due to lack of opposite colors. That's where white comes. The energy burst, the eye blink, the runes and the comets kick that monotone colorset in the face, and also reunite the whole iconset even more (like a silk fabric), at the cost of dramatic impact.

However, there are mistakes I haven't noticed. First icon lacks perspective and dramatic shading, second is too smoothly shaded and overall round, third is fine, I guess (green/blue gem/blade colors connect the fourth icon better), while the last icon lost details because she's too small and the bright effects overwhelm her and turn attention away from what should have been the center. In the end, the effects are really bouncing between overwhelming appearance and sharpness (or dramatic appearance).

I'm an Icon Mod, but I'm not an image of perfection. I do make mistakes. A plenty of them, actually. I tend to draw attention away from where it should be focused, overexpose the image to sharp outlines, make rubberish textures where noise is required, and sometimes nothing goes right (or left). But some people still like me and my style, and with every suggestion, I'm getting better, and that's what I strive for. And maybe, just maybe, I like being imperfect ;)

[/aph'sbitchyperiodsayings]

20. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I agree with this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.