• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icefrog working for Valve's DotA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Gee, Valve and Icefrog, how...quaint...Look, whoever thinks anything will impact people on gg-arena (for example) in therms of DotA-players, is sadly mistaken. I've known "DotArds" for a few years now and personally some are still loyal to this map and probably will be for more years to come. Also, I know at least two people who I tried to convert into HoN players (Heroes of Newerth). They were hooked at first, but in under a week, the great graphics, no lag and built-in VOIP didn't even phase them, for once again...they were DotA-ing...
You want to get rid of DotA?...we'll have to sacrifice W3 in the process, friends...T_T

Level 12
The bigest reason for dota popularity is fact that dota is created in time when you didnt have many decent maps....,dota obtain lot of fans in that time...You can make much better map than dota now, but that map will never be popular like dota becouse dota become something like tradition...But i dont like dota,and i hate players who only play dota every day. PS: found bag(leak) in dota....

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Gee, Valve and Icefrog, how...quaint...Look, whoever thinks anything will impact people on gg-arena (for example) in therms of DotA-players, is sadly mistaken. I've known "DotArds" for a few years now and personally some are still loyal to this map and probably will be for more years to come. Also, I know at least two people who I tried to convert into HoN players (Heroes of Newerth). They were hooked at first, but in under a week, the great graphics, no lag and built-in VOIP didn't even phase them, for once again...they were DotA-ing...
You want to get rid of DotA?...we'll have to sacrifice W3 in the process, friends...T_T

It's not enough. Sure the graphics are better, the gameplay is almost exactly the same, there is nearly no lag (but heck it ain't in DotA either) and what's a built-in VOIP good for? DotA still beats HoN as it is at the moment.

Aye, to get rid of DotA, you'd have to get rid of the WC3 game altogether, shutting down the BNet servers wouldn't have much of an effect at all.

Level 8
Wel, if bnet 2.0 is as slow as bnet and loading maps take that much time, its natural that people want to play most popular maps, so in the end there will probably be one map which is insanely popular.

In wc3 it just happened to be DotA. What it will be in sc2, well see then.

Thats just the nature of game, where you cant play without waiting for enough people to join, and where leaving hurts so much, because you cant join in the game which has already been started.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Because the same thing would happen? Dota4sc2 would pretty much stop any other map from becoming popular, like what happened with wc3.

That's not true, essentially - only people who like DotA play DotA, if you like TD you will play TD, and a TD will become popular. DotA is mostly played off BNet anyway, I don't think it will be different for SC2.

Level 12
Wel, if bnet 2.0 is as slow as bnet and loading maps take that much time, its natural that people want to play most popular maps, so in the end there will probably be one map which is insanely popular.

I thougth B.net 2.0 was faster, because it uses actuall servers instead of having players host?
Anyway, it should. I hate the delay in B.net.

Level 25
Valve puts their multiplayer games together the same way, except for Left 4 Dead. And by same way, I mean in general terms of how playing online is laid out. The server browser is pretty much the same, same dull menus, modify spray, etc.

VALVe wants money. Hence the quick release of Left 4 Dead 2. Since DotA is really successful in WarCraft III, I'm almost completely certain that VALVe's DotA will be exactly the same, except for the menu. Just better graphics really, but the design and concept of the game and perhaps the general look and layout will also remain identical, that way its as exactly the same as the other game and veteran DotA players can easily jump to the newer DotA game without having to go through much of an adjustment phase.

Will I buy it? Definitely not. I hate DotA. Will others buy it? Most likely... except for you guys who also hate it. :grin:

Level 13
As far as I know, Blizzard copyright only covers models, icons, sounds, lore and other stuff directly related to WC3.
If they only copy the cocept of DotA, not the models and such, Blizzard would have no base to sue them.
I suppose they hired Icefrog because he copyrighted the idea... so they couldn't simply steal it :p

Level 8
They hired IceFrog because of his name.

All they are trying to do is to ride with his succes, like he rided with DotAs succes. They want to use IceFrog to get all those DotA players.

If they are no fools, they know that IceFrog aint behind DotAs succes. So is there any reason why they would really want IceFrog to handle all that development stuff?

They just give him some team to do all the real work and keep him because of his name.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

They hired IceFrog because of his name.

All they are trying to do is to ride with his succes, like he rided with DotAs succes. They want to use IceFrog to get all those DotA players.

If they are no fools, they know that IceFrog aint behind DotAs succes. So is there any reason why they would really want IceFrog to handle all that development stuff?

They just give him some team to do all the real work and keep him because of his name.

Seriously, you need to start recognizing the qualities of IceFrog. The DotA game as it is today is vastly different from what it was when Eul made his initial map, and Guinsoo's is also a far cry from it, gameplay-wise, not only the community.

Level 40
Seriously, you need to start recognizing the qualities of IceFrog. The DotA game as it is today is vastly different from what it was when Eul made his initial map, and Guinsoo's is also a far cry from it, gameplay-wise, not only the community.
Guinsoo's was relatively entertaining due to its fact that nearly everything was broken (rather than very select heroes/combinations nowadays), the heroes at least seemed similar (nowadays lots of the new heroes seem hacked on, especially due to the contrast between custom and melee skills). Also, I think that Nightcrawler video proves how much of an idiot IceFrog can be.

Level 7
Dreadnought[dA];1387128 said:
League of Legends involves too much teamwork (currently it's 5 man gank squads/lots of roaming), and less individual skill. DotA requires tons of individual skill. So it's really up to preference. Heroes of Newerth is sortof a joke IMO. It's just DotA with a banlist that works.

LoL has been altered with the last patch to be a bit more about lanepushing rather than the awful 5 man gank squads it was before.

Status
Not open for further replies.