1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Role Playing Game] Iceborn

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by APproject, Dec 23, 2012.

?

Which of the following options would be the most enjoyable for you?

1. Long gameplay.

36 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Complex ability interaction with each other.

15 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. Abundance of ability special effects.

7 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. Astonishing feel and atmosphere, also a great storyline to follow.

81 vote(s)
    48.2%
  5. More events where mind is put to the test and less of hack'n'slash.

25 vote(s)
    14.9%
  6. Something else. (I would be thankful to be informed about it)

4 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Let's say, following the release of your Iceborn I'd download it and make a thread called "Frostborn" where I would mod your map but put in a bunch of new locations and change the quests/features and what not.
    Because hey man, what harm do I do to you by using your work without your permission ? I mean, I'm just honoring your hard work if anything.

Would you like that ? :p

Either way, I don't mind your use of the assets as they are clearly implemented in a meaningful way and are beneficial to the overall quality of your mod.
    Just keep in mind (no matter how slim the odds are) that you could bring THW some legal ramifications, because shall there be any ownership claims they would be directed towards them rather than you.
    Similarly to how Youtube is legally responsible for any copyrighted content on their site shall they fail to take it down following any ownership claims.
    So they are fully entitled to reject your mod shall they deem fit.

2. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks, Hell_Master, I added some doodads beneath the ground level so it is more filled up.

I would let that happen and I am sure about that. There must be one thing pointed out though. User who do this should not deem it all as his own work. If one picks my map and says: *I made all of this*, this wouldn't be really fair, but I wouldn't care about it much anyway, because I'd know the truth, I'm giving this open for all and this is in the internet after all. In my situation, I don't call these models mine, I just have them in a map to play certain role because it fits really well, dealing no potent harm.

But I see your point. It is rather sad that some people are primitive enough to complain if anything, that is considered to be theirs, is used somewhere else, what are they trying to achieve? They just cut on its popularity. You probably know that nothing in this world is original, everything is just a modified version of an older version, and by saying everything I mean EVERYTHING. Even Dota has nothing really their own.

Why listening to a song which was downloaded without paying for it and listening to the same song on the radio is so different even if the result is the same, I still hear it. Same with models, these models are being seen in a different game, but result is the same, I still see them. Youtube would not take down all materials that are considered to be illegal, they just can't keep up with all videos, someone has to complain firstly.

All this issue lacks some rational thought in it.

Yet threat to Hive is clear no matter how silly it sounds, because Dota is a free game, right? Probably I'll have to replace these anyway..

3. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This is just sad that you called this people 'primitive' because I know someone here who makes tremendous models solely for his project and one day he just learned that someone took the liberty to rip his models and use it without his concern and the guy was just so sad because he spend bloody hours making those models from scratch and the dude who rip it from his map only took a few minutes to get them without even asking him. I can really understand why the guy got depressed about that since its his hard work and he just didn't expect that his models will be ripped. You can talk freely about people messing around your work because you know to yourself from the start that you'll leave it open source some people doesn't.

So here is my suggestion, why not contact whoever made the models you used from Dota 2 and try to ask for permission? If that is too much of a hassle then just keep this matter a secrecy, I'm not really a RiP hater.

Probably true, but the hours they spend making it is real.

The reason why I'm convincing you to change it is not because its a RIP(heck I'm a moderator on a Ripping site before) its just because Hive doesn't accept maps with RIPS from other game except Blizzard's games.

4. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    But why the guy was so sad? I still don't really understand. So he worked hard and he wanted to protect it from anyone *Hahaha, this belongs to me and only me, no one can take it, only my map will have it* Why he wanted to protect? He belong to a modding community after all. And asking for permission is usually a positive answer, if one may agree to share, what is the point to really ask. I see people saying *do not do anything without my permission* And when I ask, they always let, so what's the point? And protecting it from anyone is a dim-witted thing to do.

As I said earlier, the most important thing is not to deem someone's else work as their own, which is a lie, but using it in a map, where is a crime here? If I were him, I'd be happy someone found my work interesting enough to be used in their work.

I do not wish to pose any negativity, this is just a discussion and I am glad people involve. :) I see your point, yet this is the problem of author himself, one upload his work into an internet and already doom it to be stolen, edited, etc, because any resource can be deprotected and used towards any purpose.

I'd love to contact the authors of these models, but I have no clue how to. I tried searching for authors, but I just can't find any. :( Or should I contact entire staff?

5. xAerox

xAerox

Resources:
    Resources:
    I kinda agree to what he said.

6. Hell_Master

Hell_Master

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I think yes, you could just contact the staff through Staff Contact and talk about this problem. Maybe this could be the solution. (I hope AP is referring to the staff of Hive to be sure of my comment)

7. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I know you didn't meant this but your statements kinda makes artists who doesn't want to see their models in other games/maps other than for the games/maps that they intended it to be used looks like the bad guy or something. xD (I seriously hope you didn't meant to sound like that [​IMG])

Just respect their decision if they don't want it to be used by others since you can already see them in the game they're exclusively made. Its not a written rule but more like a common sense.

Contacting the entire staff or just sending an email to Valve is your best bet.

There is no such thing as protected on Warcraft modding thus there is no such this as deprotected resources [​IMG]

8. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Not bad guys, no. I just criticise all this issue because it lacks some rational thought in it. Even though I don't really see much sense in all these decisions, I respect it, otherwise I wouldn't be willing to contact Valve, which I will try to do soon. By saying protected resources, I meant resources that are put into a protected map, or protected resource as in terms of permission need.

9. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:

Map Optimizing = Map Protection is a crazy myth.

I think we're getting kinda off-topic now.

10. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I wrote the letter to Valve yesturday, but still no response. I guess I picked the wrong email to send, wasn't really sure which one to pick. If no response within several days, I'll try something else.

Another terrain area, this looks like one big mess, but it is good from game camera point of view. There will be one of the last optional quests. Just a sudden environment change during these dark tunnels.
    Screenie
    [​IMG]

11. Hell_Master

Hell_Master

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    You are right, it was a sudden change at the type of environment but it is quite good though messy. I like the doodads/destructibles you used but again, it is quite messy. I do not even know if it's playable on that state.

But good job nonethless and keep going!

12. Blackcheeta23

Blackcheeta23

Resources:
    Resources:
    Good Luck To Your Map Looking Foward To IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Just a small spoiler:

I've been working on one quest for past two days and quest's reward is the dragon, which can be summoned for one minute with certain cooldown. Dragon itself is on his own, it keeps close to hero as a body guard for that minute. It has some nice lightning spells, planning to add even more. Here it is in the action, small screenie below:

[​IMG]

14. D_King23

D_King23

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wow that was a badass dragon xD Can't wait to see it released! :D

15. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    :goblin_jawdrop: Great! The screenies make me forget my own project! Good Luck!

16. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks. :)

New terrain after 6 hours of nonstop work today. There will be a puzzle for quest and in the end of this area will be a chest with pretty nice treasures and the last spell that can be learnt.

500 doodads left for the limit, so I will be forced to use Jass NewGen Pack for unlimited use of doodads once limit is reached.

And some of the notable statistics at this very point:

Total imported files: 1509 (185,790 KB)
    Custom sounds: 185
    Custom doodads: 343

Screenies (4)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What? You're still not over the limit? This map has shown great progress that it should have exceeded the doodad limit by now.

Anyway, great screenies and I really like your style.

18. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    looks sweet. Reminds me of Throne of Thunder and Throne of the Four winds a little.

maybe you should use the alpha tile on the ground there anyway? would be epic.

19. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks. :)

I tried my best to make terrain with the least amount of doodads because I wasn't planning to use Jass NewGen. Areas looks full of doodads yet there are only like 200-300 doodads per area because of doodads big scale and so on.
    What do you mean? :)

20. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources: