1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Role Playing Game] Iceborn

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by APproject, Dec 23, 2012.

?

Which of the following options would be the most enjoyable for you?

1. Long gameplay.

36 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Complex ability interaction with each other.

15 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. Abundance of ability special effects.

7 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. Astonishing feel and atmosphere, also a great storyline to follow.

81 vote(s)
    48.2%
  5. More events where mind is put to the test and less of hack'n'slash.

25 vote(s)
    14.9%
  6. Something else. (I would be thankful to be informed about it)

4 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Mythic

Mythic

Media Manager

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Though it's a bit gloomy and overwhelming, it's amazing and probably the best singe player can offer. I'm curious as to where you get models, as I've never seen those before. Do you make them?

2. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    It's quite amazing! I must say it's a privilege to watch your progress! It must have taken you ages to improve your terraining skills! I am greatly impressed!

3. neo_sluf

neo_sluf

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    They are ripped from WoW... but others are adjusted by AProject to fit in the map..

4. Mythic

Mythic

Media Manager

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Really? Is it approvable?

5. Hell_Master

Hell_Master

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Approvable though only IF AP will at least give link to the site it was ripped on. It's also a form of crediting or thanking.

This is what I know though this might not be true at some circumstances or on other's opinion.

6. neo_sluf

neo_sluf

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It depends on the site.. on wc3net it is not allowed... but i think its ok as long as it comes from WoW and not ripped from other games such as DOTA 2...

7. Gwy

Gwy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Imo WOW-Rips for wc3 are officially approved from Blizz and Hive.
    There was a long discussion 2 years ago.
    I know it only because the map "world of ancients" was first rejected beacuase of rips and then approved

8. theblitched

theblitched

Resources:
    Resources:
    Please release!! I can't take it anymore! I want to play this map now :D

9. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks, guys, I appreciate it very much. :)

Yes, I edit models and skins for existing WoW rips or regular models from Hive, I also rip models from WoW myself. And yeah, there are models from Dota, but I don't understand how can it be harmful to anyone.

And I edit models, many of them, but I do not deem them as my own, I won't even provide some kind of credit for myself, I do not require it, it is pointless and meaningless. Map itself will be also unprotected and free for anyone to explore or use material from it. I try to be a part of this community without chaining anyone with some kind of illusiuon of rights.

Of course credits will be given for every import with site directed except for few metrials that has its author missing. Do not accept it offensive in any way, I just express my opinion without any other intention. I simply find this credit / game rip issue silly in this kind of its usage.

Concerning the project, I lack time for it greatly. I am having a ton of free time during this weekend, but I forgot to bring my PC from Uni to home, silly me. I hope to get on it soon, yet other activities prevent me from doing so. I was expecting to finish it this year, but sadly with this kind of progress it is impossible to do so.

10. Pinachet

Pinachet

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Damn, all those dungeons are sweet! Object placement is great and the dungeoncrawler feel (judging by the vids) is really well done.
    Looking good so far, I'd so like to play this on a different game engine tho (something providing better effects I mean). But even in Wc3 some places look sick graphics-wise

11. T. D. W.

T. D. W.

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I have been watching this for a little while, and every time, i get more surprised than ever, just speaking of the "breathtaking" terrain, i just can't imagine how much work or the technique the terrain takes, i really can't imagine how all this got together, my breath is taken now xD

12. Justicebringer

Justicebringer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    You mean Dota 2?
    Its illegal to import things from non Blizzard made
    games. So i think you should replace them then.
    By the way i support using wow resources, they
    are neat! :)

13. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank you very much, guys. It means a lot to me. :)

I do have models from Dota 2, like a few. But to my mind this is really silly to call it illegal, because I do not require money for my work, I do not deem my work as some kind of product made for market, it is just for fun and all free. I may keep these few models and replace them only if staff theatened to reject the map, I'll take the risk, because these models fits really well and it does no harm to anyone after all.

So the terrain expands. This is a path which will lead to 3 other areas. These two archs may lead to these areas as well as the end of this path. Planning to add there really nice two optional quests. By the way, this terrain design area is before the very last one, so everything is coming to an end, I may complete this map within a month or two I hope. Terrain may change as it is not really the final view.

Screenie
    [​IMG]

14. I_am_Death

I_am_Death

Resources:
    Resources:
    woah, screenies *-*
    u r making me become an impatient man :mad: (jst kiddin' :p)

15. D_King23

D_King23

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yay new screenies!! :D
    EPIC!! XD

16. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    They will since it will be so unfair for other maps that got rejected because of imported materials from other games if this get approved.

17. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah, you are right. But I am still taking the risk and changing it if most necessary. Moderators usually don't play at least one third of a map due to time consumption, so I might get away with it if no one complained what a big criminal I am for using a model for NPC who just stand and talk, model that is a forbidden fruit for so *obvious* reasons.

I probably sound like a really bad and stupid person now, but there is just no way I support or understand why it is illegal. This project is nothing official, I don't sell it, it is all for fun and I don't really harm Dota 2 authors in any possible way (by using their material without a permission? Okay, where is the harm now?), more like I show my gratitude and interest in their hard work because I find it worth attention.

18. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If you can take the effort to find or rip model with probably a ridiculous file size then why not take the effort to search for a HQ model made by someone specifically for Warcraft 3 but with lower filesize but still fits what you're looking for?

I want to argue more about this topic but I'm already seeing it being pointless if you already really made up your mind. I'll just say good luck and I'll just wait here till its done and play it.

19. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Some of these illegal models fits the context perfectly, their look represent the atmosphere, personality and basically what they are really well. Certain model look may even change the course of a gameplay, even if one just stand, or is just an enemy attack unit. I could find something else of course, but then it would not be the best option. :)
    Why? I want to hear your arguments, I'm open for a discussion and a change only if I am presented with good contra arguments.

20. Hell_Master

Hell_Master

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    That is one cool early wip of a terrain. But to suggest, you might want to fill the empty sides with something maybe with a statue or anything that you find great and also you can add some doodads/destructibles at the air seeing from your previous screenshots.

I am getting excited on each screenshot you are posting so good luck, we will see what will turn out of this. This project is really underrated if I can also say, this needs much more attention.