• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I want to shoot Windows Explorer in the head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
I want to blow its freaking head off. I've been having nothing but problems with Windows Explorer since I reformatted about 2 weeks ago. The thing is driving me crazy, it is often using up 100% of my cpu power and it rarely responds and I am forced to end it. I can't count the number of error reports I've sent off... Recently, something even more maddening has begun: I cannot open one of my folders for more then 30 seconds without Explorer crashing and having to close. This folder just contains my music and has worked previously with out any problems. Any ideas, folks?

Level 45
1. Reformat.
2. Get Firefox (and use it)
3. Get a good firewall.
4. Get a good antivirus and some adware scanners like:
Ad-Aware SE Personal
http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE...045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

avast! Antivirus(not sure if this is the right prog
http://www.avast.com/eng/down_cleaner.html

Peer guardian (stops p2p watch gaurds, and protects your ports etc)
http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

5.Scan comp daily and the usual stuff.

Im guessing you have traffic on your computer from not so good sources eg, hacker, trojans,malware etc.

I think iv had trouble with my windows explorer, but that was due to when i had a lousy computer and had alot of stuff on.

Dunno, i suck at computers so this is all the help i can offer.

Level 18
Not Internet Explorer, fool, he means Windows Explorer, the actual OS file-managing system, the thing that you use to open folders etc.

And brad, it sounds like there's something wrong with your windows installation, either that or something's wrong with your HD that windows can't deal with. Run a few diagnostic tools like chkdsk etc.

-*meow*

Level 45
i use firefox, been using IE alot in the past, and mecheon convinced me to use Firefox and once i tried it i fell in love with the tabs :), never tried opera though.. when i first heard about it i heard it cost money, then other people say its free, but id rather stick to firefox.

also brad, defragging might help if not..god save us all .. or listen to Shados

Level 18
i use firefox, been using IE alot in the past, and mecheon convinced me to use Firefox and once i tried it i fell in love with the tabs :), never tried opera though.. when i first heard about it i heard it cost money, then other people say its free, but id rather stick to firefox.

also brad, defragging might help if not..god save us all .. or listen to Shados

Opera's free, and it had tabbed browsing long before FF. Seriously, FF copied most of the features that make it better than IE from Opera.

And brad, you don't neccesarily need to reinstall windows, just insert your windows disk and see if you can "Repair Installation", much less of a hassle.

-*meow*

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Not Internet Explorer, fool, he means Windows Explorer, the actual OS file-managing system, the thing that you use to open folders etc.

And brad, it sounds like there's something wrong with your windows installation, either that or something's wrong with your HD that windows can't deal with. Run a few diagnostic tools like chkdsk etc.

-*meow*

Actually. That is the same program just with different settings. iexplore.exe

Get totalcommander (google it)
I use it for every time I want to manage my files etc..

Get Firefox for internet (or opera)
I prefer firefox..

Level 36
I have to close the bloody thing down all the time because it stops responding. If you actually close the process and not end task, well there goes your start bar at the bottom of your desktop XD I'll try all of your suggestions, thanks guys. And I use Firefox, I like Opera to but it doesn't really make a difference for me.

Level 18
Nah, use avira antivir. Even the free version is leet, and they just gave me one month free of the premium version. Probably because they like me.

And how can you say there's not much of a difference brad? Mouse gestures wtfpwn all other browsers by themselves, let alone Opera's other features!

-*meow*

Status
Not open for further replies.