1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

I can never stick with an idea

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by Marine, Apr 8, 2012.

1. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Ham Ham, thats what I call words of wisdom...

3 to 4 years from now, you'll see who the real warcraft 3 fan is, they will remain and never stop modding.

2. Drunken_Jackal

Drunken_Jackal

Resources:
    Resources:
    On food, many popular programming-based companies used Coke and sweets to keep them awake at their early stages.
    Ahh the programmers life :D

3. WaterKnight

WaterKnight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I also find myself eating chocolate when trying to concentrate.

4. NightElf125

NightElf125

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    ^ What kind? Dark chocolate is the good stuff :p

5. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Warerknight

same, but I always eat tobleron or sneakers

6. Drunken_Jackal

Drunken_Jackal

Resources:
    Resources:
    I eat nutella with bread when trying :D

7. Vizel

Vizel

Resources:
    Resources:
    <3 nutella, omfg. It's amazing.

If you need a quick energy boost, a handful of peanuts will do the trick. And it's natural, for you people who don't want to drink caffeine or energy shots.

Unless you're allergic to peanuts. In which case,I recommend mountain dew, :D

I run off mountain dew when I need to concentrate. Taking breaks from it to drink some water is a good idea, though. I practically live off caffeine anyway, without it I can't think or function very well at all, lol.

So, don't become reliant on caffeine, but it may help you focus. As stated many times above, try something small and work your way up. Alter an already existing map like one of the hundreds of arenas, like angel arena. Put some unique twists in it, fix some things, change some stuff around. Move up to a minigame, perhaps. But don't do something too complicated or it could get painful (Like me..I tried to create yahtzee in wc3...didn't go well...). Or, help someone out with their project.

8. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If you want to stick to an idea, do something that looks cool, share a screenshot with everyone, see that everybody likes it and get motivation to continue.

9. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    my problem is that get tired of each project after a while and then it helps to switch project.

10. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    look i'm a resourceful person i don't know how to code a sh*t in the editor but i always get to make my maps :p , i even was making a mod for editors for warcraft 3 , but since i had to format my pc i stopped mapping.

11. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    dont be discouraged, just do the work again. i lost parts of a map because i forgot to save it but it didnt stop me from continuing.

12. Ham Ham

Ham Ham

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Keep auto-saving on.
    I remember when I was making an awesome terrain for a contest back in 2007, and power was shut down. I lost 3 or 4 hours of mapping progress and it made me abandon the contest.

13. map designer

map designer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    or do as many versions of your map. I make many versions for my map, and, in each version, there is a little addition, and a little fix to a bug.

I think your cure lies within the wisdom of sonofjay

If you like your map, you will play it, and you will make it to the better, and you will get new ideas. between, I really love playing my map, really!! that I sometimes...dream of it, and it sometimes inspire me with good ideas.

that means you should be fan number 1 in your fan list.

14. Vizel

Vizel

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have self-motivation issues...

I can't trick my brain into...anything. Period.

I can't even do it in my dreams. If it's impossible I wake up....stupid literal brain.

But if self-motivation doesn't work, outside motivation can help a lot :D

15. frostloh

frostloh

Resources:
    Resources:
    Triggers.

I hate it when I spend hours working on triggers, only to find some bug or unforeseen function of a line that renders the whole bunch obsolete. The learning process is like History taught with algebraic formulae...and that's only for GUI. And most custom spells require trigger knowledge nowadays, with dummy units and whatnot. I literally can't make a map that requires the players to do something more complicated than unit 1 kills unit 2 without getting down and dirty with those forked up lines of code.

16. Kam

Kam

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I have one project. I've worked on it since this game was released.

17. I have a few maps that I could finish, but when people stop posting on the map threads and I start only seeing my posts 3-4 times in a row then I just quit due to lack of intrest. If I know that at least one person is following my map and will play it when it is complete then I will get the map done.

Its just like my campaign Dreamscape that I've been 'working' on since a month or so after I joined THW. The first time there were about 3-4 people following it and the thread had a post a day which kept me going, then after awhile people just stoped then I thought the idea was bad and scrapped it all and re-started. That has happened 3 times already =.=

18. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    people stop responding to my map projects as well but it doesnt stop me.

19. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Imagine how satisfied you'll be after your triggers work properly and the time has paid off.

20. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    True, but no just on triggers, if you done well on terraining and object editor and you see the result, it feels like heaven.