1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Units have been turned into heroes in our latest Icon Contest! Vote for the best icon set at the Icon Contest #18 Poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

I can never stick with an idea

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by Marine, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Vizel

Vizel

Resources:
    Resources:
    I was making more of a joke on logical brain vs artistic brain.. It wasn't meant to be taken so literal... -.-

2. Graveworm

Graveworm

Resources:
    Resources:
    i've started a few maps too. some became finished, some not. a few years ago i started to fix the "ultimate angel arena 11.0"...and when i reached the point where i had to fix the triggers, i stopped for years, cuz i have 0.1 experience with that. some days ago, when i had a wc3 lanparty in my room, i started to work on it again...and now i try to get behind all the trigger-stuff. atm i'm stuck again (with a star flying from a spelltarget to the caster; dummy doesnt wanna work like i want him to), but i got time, beer, a bit weed and so i work at the champs again :)
    maybe u just get bored bcuz u'r too sober to forget everything else =)

3. MasterTrainer

MasterTrainer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    When I create maps, I always prepare for one thing: that is when I think that too much detail is required, and that takes away the effort of map-making.
    I think of doing many maps at once, then just finish one of them when I feel like it. Some I leave alone, and never really finish. Then someday when I browse through my library of maps, I find an unfinished one, and either finish it, or delete it.
    I also just discovered this: It's a little fun to turn a spell test map into a part of a campaign, but somehow I lose motivation a little while later. Ironic because when I'm far away from the Editor I think of doing a lot of great maps.

4. leventopoulo

leventopoulo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I believe that people try their best at making maps, some people try for months. But unfortunately, moderators or cocky commenters discourage them. They bring their spirit down in a way that crushes their dreams. Thus they never make maps again.. Believe me it is true.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  5. morbent

morbent

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Why nowadays map making is failing? Cuz Warcraft 3 is old, I don't want to say it but it is. I tell my friends "hey lets play Warcraft 3", "nooo, look at the dumb graphics we got Diablo 3" and I say "is it all graphics that matter? Don't you remember when you played this game and said Woaaaah the best game ever!". It's like... DotA, people play the dumb League of Legends and say DotA is dumb, we hate it - it has dumb graphics. Well it is Warcraft that gave birth to the games you play now, wow. I believe it's just because people have no respect to Warcraft 3 anymore, and less and less people play it. People just don't want to make a map that will be played for 3 days from their friends and they're going to go play Diablo 3 after that. It won't be worth the time, lets say it. There aren't many players left, you can host your map and play it with randoms but it can't get famous... it will be one for one game. You won't get a reward lets call it. Because the feeling of seeing your map hosted randomly in Warcraft 3 just makes you feel... good? I've hosted some of my maps and when I saw one of them hosted by random players I just opened War3 Editor and started making a map, the ideas came into me... but I'm a different case, I got lazy and forgot about it at like 2/5 finished of it. The moment I read CloudWolf's saying that he and his friends will go in Starcraft 2 to make maps just... made me feel like we lost other good Map Makers, modelers...Warcraft is just... old. Admit it. We need Warcraft 4 :D

6. WaterKnight

WaterKnight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's not just the graphics I do not like about DotA in comparison to League of Legends. When I say that the graphics of DotA do suck, it's less because of the wc3 engine but rather the style that I dislike. In that aspect, Heroes of Newerth or DotA2 do not please me either. Style matters a lot. Even the sharpest detail cannot make up for it.

7. Setokaiva

Setokaiva

Resources:
    Resources:
    I get this problem all the time. So many good ideas swimming through my head but I find I haven't got the energy to do them all at once, then my initiative dies out. Best thing is to keep your momentum going; find a simple idea, i.e make a new unit, and do the map one step at a time.

Try and link what you've made to the rest of the mapmaking process; for example, let's say you've made some units, now you need some terrain for them to run around on. Spawn a few enemies for them to fight, watch the battle and adjust their specs accordingly. Devise new arenas and bits of terrain where the battles could take place; and if the map is going to include bases, simply start by making the areas more open and link them together by pathways. Now that you have a terrain and some units running around, try enhancing things by using triggers and imports -- knockback systems, teleporters, music, custom models, better looking doodads and tilesets, things like that. Just keep the momentum going by doing one little thing at a time and thinking about how this could either link to something else or enhance the quality of another feature.

8. Vizel

Vizel

Resources:
    Resources:
    If Starcraft 2 or the launch of D3 is any indication, I don't want Warcraft 4. Warcraft 4 will suck worse than SC2 in this case. SC2 flopped because activision is a bunch of morons who just want shit to get pumped out for the monies and don't care about the players.

Blizzard merging with activision screwed it up for everyone.

I did not buy sc2, and I'm glad I didn't.

I did not buy D3 (Online only? screw you!) and I'm glad I didn't, even though i have waited 12 years for it.

The fact of the matter is, mergers in the gaming industry screw the players.

Squaresoft merging with Enix destroyed the final fantasy series (wtf was ff13? SERIOUSLY, a disgrace to the name!) pumping out side games and rehashes instead of putting some effort into making a decent new game that actually fits their franchises.

Activision-Blizzard merger screwed us just as well. WOW Cataclysm? PANDAS? SC2 and it's poor execution, loads of bugs and lack of documentation? Hello Activision watermark.

Blizzard as some of us once knew it is dead. Activision has their greedy claws in every aspect of Blizzard now, and it's dead to me, and many others. Blizzard coming out with Warcraft 4 WOULD be the end of warcraft 3. SC2 took away a chunk of the community and WC4 would take another fair chunk to another worthless game that will flop as bad as SC2.

9. Reaper51

Reaper51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Agreed.

Lets take a look at the features coming out with HOTS.

Multiplayer resume from replay
    Global Play
    Multilanguage support
    Clan/group system
    Unranked matchmaking
    Multiplayer replay viewing
    Blizzard Developement Tools
    An improved map editor

Now tell me why Blizzard waited until HOTS to release all of these things sc2 should have had 2 years ago plus LAN.

10. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    i got starcraft 2 but the editor is difficult to use so i dont use it much. i dont feed trolls though. if you must troll please go somewhere else.

11. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    meh, gonna stick on warcraft 3 for now, I don't like diablo 3 and starcraft 2 either(can't use the editor properly >:C)

But still warcraft 3 I love it than the other game this day, graphics, graphics, graphics, fuck your gameplay sucks.

warcraft 3 is great game, the editor offers you lots of things.

12. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    i prefer warcraft 3 myself plus that i have more warcraft 3 projects so until some of those are done warcraft 3 will be my focus. besides, there is still plenty of players playing warcraft 3.

13. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    mostly, my maps are not intended for marketing purposes, its more of a map made for my friends.

14. Drunken_Jackal

Drunken_Jackal

Resources:
    Resources:
    You mean Warcraft 3 is not meant for profitable games :D
    But, hey Warcraft 3 gives aspiring game developers (although the real thing is 1000% harder) a sort of boost.

15. NightElf125

NightElf125

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The real thing involves a lot of experience with other more complicated software, true (as I know because I'm majoring in Game Design), but the basic fundamental aspects of designing the game are very much like the ones in making a Warcraft III map. You can learn a lot and it's good to start modding in whatever way you can. :)

I think a good tactic to avoid the pitfalls of not ever releasing a map is to switch to making different, short and simple maps that still interest you and keep your motivation to make maps up. Participating in the contests here is a good way to do that.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  16. Ham Ham

Ham Ham

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    *sigh*
    It's time to face it, guys.
    You should have expected it before. Warcraft 3 is an old game, and it's becoming a cult game. One kind of game that is not played by 12 year old boys that think graphics should be the most important thing on any game, but played by real gamers. It's happening the same thing with Warcraft 3 that happened with many other games like Doom, Quake, Age of Empires, Starcraft 1, Mechwarrior, and many others: it's becoming a classic game.
    This doesn't means in any way that Wc3 modding scene will die. Things will get a bid slower, but change for the better,with more mature players and modders, with people that care more about gameplay than awsum grapikx!
    Fear not! In the Doomworld Forums (the Doom equivalent of The Hive Workshop) there are still hundreds of people working on levels, gameplay enhancement mods, and updating source-ports at full steam like if we still were in the late 90s, and I am talking about an almost 20 year-old game. What makes you think that Warcraft 3 modding will disappear if Doom modding didn't disappeared?

Warcraft 3 will never fade away. It's a classic, and it will live forever. Don't hesitate to start a brand new map right now, because there WILL be people to play your map. There will ALWAYS be.

About people having problems to do it's first map, all you need is focus. Get ANYTHING done. When I started mapping back on 2006, I made at least 5 or 6 small maps in a single year. It helped me to get enough experience to start with bigger maps.

17. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    my problem is mostly energy to work on the maps.

18. NightElf125

NightElf125

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Eat lots of healthy foods, drink lots of water, avoid sugar/junk food, will do wonders.

19. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    i drink plenty of water but that just makes me weaker.

20. NightElf125

NightElf125

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    How about food? You need both, they go hand in hand. :p Also try eating lots of fish, if you don't like it then take omega 3 in a supplement form. Great way to get the energy you need in my opinion.