• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I can never stick with an idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Last year when I was working on the map I did ask around, and none would do it for me. Currently, I'm keeping an eye on a specific workshop since he's already done one model for me for my TD. Once his request level drops a bit I'll ask him for it cuz he did an amazing job :p

I figured dice wouldn't be too hard (I mean, come on, they're just cubes, lol) but it's not anything I can do, I'm no artist. And it's not monopoly that I'm making.

EDIT: Oic, he's looking for dice model too. Seriously, if someone made a decent dice model it would be very helpful for people, and I imagine it would be used quite a bit.

Level 21
i need a lot of models for my blood and magic map. specially a nymph and a gnome.(because warcraft 3 lack fitting models.) if anybody wants to help me with that i can give them a screen shot of how they look in the real blood and magic. i need a custom interface as well. the gameplay however is under control.(unless something else bugs up that is.)

Level 1
Here's some reasons (that I picked up)

1. Negativity <---This is number one reason
- When the community hates this map idea,
"OMG it's Dota Clone!"
"Anime Arena sux"
"Noob triggers"
Seriously. The last time I've let my friend host a map in the hive, he was bombed with negativity and hasn't come back... yet.

2. Triggers triggers triggers!
- The point when making a trigger ability (like my Culling blade) becomes too hard, or again, the community bombshells the trigger system. Bonus points if the trigger system IS based on another person's map.
- Still having trouble on Using Nuke Ward to try to make a "Nuke". effect.

3. Map size
- Map size too big for an AoS? Oops. Map size too small for an Arena? Oops. Map tileset is not fitting? Triple oops. I find this common towards me, from switching Ashenvale to Dalaran/Cityscape often, as Ashenvale (AoS), while the latter is for Arenas.
- Geez. Terrain... is flat.

4. AI for non melee
- Happens often when making an AI for the Arena/AoS/other map you're making. A Simple Every X Second, move Hero X to random point in region whatever should suffice- albeit they should be more "different".

5. Getting information
- Getting information from the top maps, are usually protected, and... there's no way besides Hard code hacking to help you see the information. Usually draws the line where "I can't replicate Couter Helix without Axe hitting himself!" action.

Last edited:
Level 11
You think making maps is easy? You have to make yourself suffer tremendous pain to achieve anything. It is not supposed to be fun to make a game.

Only in the end it will bring satisfactory. If you have got an idea, you have to remember that no one in this world is going to move a single finger to implement it for you. There is only one person who will make a map based on it. And there will always be people who appreciate that.

Warcraft is "dying" like any other game with time, and it's normal. I, for example, still play Wc3 and always will, because it is the first game for which I made a map with a trigger. Now it turned out I have programmer's mind!

I didn't read pages 9-12, so sorry if I repeated someone else's thoughts.

Level 26
You think making maps is easy? You have to make yourself suffer tremendous pain to achieve anything. It is not supposed to be fun to make a game.

Depends on the individual mindset and which challenge you take on. What means "it's not supposed to". Not like anyone would decide this for you.

Only in the end it will bring satisfactory. If you have got an idea, you have to remember that no one in this world is going to move a single finger to implement it for you. There is only one person who will make a map based on it. And there will always be people who appreciate that.

You can have quite some fun/satisfaction carving your map, especially when you have a clear goal/picture to see your progress. There may be people who like to participate in the map/project or, when criticizing, I deal with it, too, in order to display what could be advantageous for it.

I have worked for a couple of years on my main project and still have my motivation here and there, also because you can learn new things during the development.

Level 10
When i was eight, i didn't even understand what was triggering, object editor, and so on. Eventually, i just end up making melee maps (although all my melee maps files are now permanently gone along with my old laptop) while fooling around with the AI Editor :p. Plus, i didn't even had a tutorial as i never used the Internet before that time. Without those tutorials, now i am so terrible at making triggers, which is my main problem and time is my second problem. I am now fifteen. I don't have the time to make maps as much as when i was younger. Although, i felt excited everytime i make a map and just never stop thinking bout it until it is finished. And yeah, kicking someone's butt in a game of my own is something very satisfying and fun. After all, you are the one who knows all the secrets and treasures of the map. And i will also take every criticism as a way to improve my map.

Level 11
I've made about 10 maps since 2008 but I started modding regularly in 2009, I sorta finished 2 of them and then I started one larger project that I spent maybe 25 days on. I never really liked the outcome so I remade the entire map for a different game-play. The new project got about 30 days and when the alpha testing started I noticed how bad I was at Attack order triggers which ended with me remaking the map again but not as much as the first one just to fix the previous problems and to hopefully improve the fun level with the "I M P R O V E D" game-play.
So after about 15 days of experimenting and WE working the new game-play ended with a total flop. It was to complicated to learn in one game and very imbalanced, the attack wave triggers are still bad and several bugs were standing in my way so I had enough of that map.

Now days I try to do smaller modding projects but mostly I only find time to enjoy others finished maps. The biggest problem for me is to find inspiration and time to finish my projects since my life is slowly demanding more and more of me. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.