1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

I can never stick with an idea

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by Marine, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Vizel

Vizel

Resources:
    Resources:
    Last year when I was working on the map I did ask around, and none would do it for me. Currently, I'm keeping an eye on a specific workshop since he's already done one model for me for my TD. Once his request level drops a bit I'll ask him for it cuz he did an amazing job :p

I figured dice wouldn't be too hard (I mean, come on, they're just cubes, lol) but it's not anything I can do, I'm no artist. And it's not monopoly that I'm making.

EDIT: Oic, he's looking for dice model too. Seriously, if someone made a decent dice model it would be very helpful for people, and I imagine it would be used quite a bit.

2. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Helping the community through request and do keeps it alive.

3. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    i can help people with the trigger editor but i cant create models.

4. Peukka

Peukka

Resources:
    Resources:
    I believe it's because community is decreasing, too bad :/. But unbelievable big community still for such old game.

5. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well if you think hive is big, then what is xgm? xgm is still the leading warcraft 3 forum. from daily visitors, estimated site value ($) with a gigantus 17520 $ while hive having 16060 $. That means warcraft 3 is still kicking. 3rd and 4th on the list is Goblin Academy and ChaosRealm.

6. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    could you give me a link for that. i dont intend to leave the hive workshop but when the hive workshop wont help me with models i need to ask for help somewhere else.

7. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    XgM is a russian site, you can visit it here: http://xgm.ru/

Goblin Academy is a chinese site, you can visit it here: http://bbs.islga.org/

Chaos Realm is the place if you need anime stuff but that is not the thing they can offer, you can visit it here: http://chaosrealm.info/index/ I'm a mod there so if you need help you can ask me.

8. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    i dont speak russian but i could look for interesting models.(i dont know what category they are in though.) considering the fact that the english speaking communities are slowly vanishing or dying, this website should get more people.

9. Drunken_Jackal

Drunken_Jackal

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thats what Google Chrome is there for.

10. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    i dont use it. i use internet explorer, firefox and safari.

11. ChaosWyrm

ChaosWyrm

Resources:
    Resources:
    I always find myself sticking with the same idea, but nuking my process and starting over again for some reason. I'm still not sure why I do this.

12. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    i dont start over unless the map gets deleted or lost.(i dont delete my maps on purpose.) i recently started working on a map that i hadnt worked on for years. i guess that i was somewhat out of ideas when i started but working on other projects have given me new ideas.

13. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    i am currently stuck on a project that i really want help with so if anybody would help me i would be grateful.

14. Vizel

Vizel

Resources:
    Resources:
    Depends on what kind of map, what you're stuck on, and how much help you require. :D

15. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    i need a lot of models for my blood and magic map. specially a nymph and a gnome.(because warcraft 3 lack fitting models.) if anybody wants to help me with that i can give them a screen shot of how they look in the real blood and magic. i need a custom interface as well. the gameplay however is under control.(unless something else bugs up that is.)

16. Overtime

Overtime

Resources:
    Resources:
    Here's some reasons (that I picked up)

1. Negativity <---This is number one reason
    - When the community hates this map idea,
    "OMG it's Dota Clone!"
    "Anime Arena sux"
    "Noob triggers"
    Seriously. The last time I've let my friend host a map in the hive, he was bombed with negativity and hasn't come back... yet.

2. Triggers triggers triggers!
    - The point when making a trigger ability (like my Culling blade) becomes too hard, or again, the community bombshells the trigger system. Bonus points if the trigger system IS based on another person's map.
    - Still having trouble on Using Nuke Ward to try to make a "Nuke". effect.

3. Map size
    - Map size too big for an AoS? Oops. Map size too small for an Arena? Oops. Map tileset is not fitting? Triple oops. I find this common towards me, from switching Ashenvale to Dalaran/Cityscape often, as Ashenvale (AoS), while the latter is for Arenas.
    - Geez. Terrain... is flat.

4. AI for non melee
    - Happens often when making an AI for the Arena/AoS/other map you're making. A Simple Every X Second, move Hero X to random point in region whatever should suffice- albeit they should be more "different".

5. Getting information
    - Getting information from the top maps, are usually protected, and... there's no way besides Hard code hacking to help you see the information. Usually draws the line where "I can't replicate Couter Helix without Axe hitting himself!" action.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  17. kkots

kkots

Resources:
    Resources:
    You think making maps is easy? You have to make yourself suffer tremendous pain to achieve anything. It is not supposed to be fun to make a game.

Only in the end it will bring satisfactory. If you have got an idea, you have to remember that no one in this world is going to move a single finger to implement it for you. There is only one person who will make a map based on it. And there will always be people who appreciate that.

Warcraft is "dying" like any other game with time, and it's normal. I, for example, still play Wc3 and always will, because it is the first game for which I made a map with a trigger. Now it turned out I have programmer's mind!

I didn't read pages 9-12, so sorry if I repeated someone else's thoughts.

18. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    i know how difficult it is to create maps but i refuse to give up. one problem i have is that people dont even look at the topics where i ask for help anymore.

19. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes it is fun to create if you can feel that. That pain your are speaking of is relevant to laziness and parasitic plague of humanity.

20. Vizel

Vizel

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is true. It also made me bust a gut. Touche, my friend.