1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

I believe...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ash, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    Was it CnP? I find it difficult to believe you wrote all that in the time between post and edit.

-------------------------------

Your theory holds no more water than mine (by your logic). To quote you:
    "You're not ready, nor prepared, to accept other viewpoints, nor challenge them with an appropriate and well tailored, first hand argument."
    How is any of this a first hand argument?

Looking at your evidence, and the evidence given by everyone else, I consider it logical, and reasonable, to believe in a round Earth.

2. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Okay :)

3. Anachron

Anachron

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Holy shit.

I open a new thread and which says:

I beleave that Ash has to much freedom to write all that stuff.
    I you find arguments against that, post there please.

4. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    Is that "okay" aimed at the edits I made?

5. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nope, I'll reply to them here. I'll just report Anachron's post first.... Annnnd done.

I've just disproven gravity, answered all your questions and given a general framework of flat earth theory, and I still don't think you've read/tackled it all :p It seems like a 'I read the first paragraph but nothing else' answer, at best.

If my theory holds as much as yours, then why don't you consider it logical and reasonable to believe in both theories?

EDIT EDIT:
    Just read your CnP comment in the first post. The Quotes were, which take up the bulk of the post, whilst the rest is CnP'd from arguments I've made.

6. Squiggy

Squiggy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Now calm down guys - it's not like this thread is really serious stuff as if it was, it would have been opened at MT (which wouldn't last long there due to the topic).
    In conclusion, let's keep it lulz

7. Captain Griffen

Captain Griffen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Are you unable or unwilling to read?

"Public buildings / property != government property. Government property is private, not public, property."

Only if you live in Stalinist Russia. We have freedom of reporting in Europe.

What you do is not your information. It is actions, that can be reported on. As can basic information. There is no law that lets you remove all your information from the internet. Data protection acts govern it, but they give only limited control in specific ways, and no power to let you take down correct information about your actions.

8. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Speak for yourself, I'm serious!

9. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    No, no, I skim read. ;)

I didn't say it wasn't logical, or reasonable, I said a round Earth was more logical and reasonable. Although I do believe it's unreasonable for you to come to the conclusion that the Earth is flat.

As well, I never said the theory of gravity was correct, or anything relating to gravity. I can't even tell if you've disproven gravity, since I can barely wade through what you posted. I have no backing in physics, apart from what is taught in high school, which is very limited.

I would again like to point out that you said, "You're not ready, nor prepared, to accept other viewpoints, nor challenge them with an appropriate and well tailored, first hand argument."
    None of this is first hand. You're basing everything off of other people's work. We obviously don't have time to test every theory of science, even in the field you might be studying, and have to take accepted theory's for granted.

I take gravity for granted. I don't feel compelled to study it, and so I accept whatever is accepted by a majority willing to study it. If there is no general consensus, I take no side. This is generally how "knowledge" works.

10. Captain Griffen

Captain Griffen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Huzzah for burning Gallileo at the stake!

11. Elenai

Elenai

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    What about meteors?

If everything is traveling 'up' at a constant rate..And the earth is flat...

[​IMG]

A) would be impossible, since everything is moving at a constant rate 'upwards' the meteors would never hit, or else even if they are indeed traveling downwards to hit the surface of a flat earth the ones that miss the earth would inevitably fling themselves past the earth and into the void below....which...if everything is traveling 'up' at a constant rate, then nothing should be able to escape the upward thrust of the universe's course. Not even meteors.

B) Everything traveling upward at a constant rate means that inorder for anything to hit the earth, it must be using a bumper car like effect. Horizontal impact, which...we have clear evidence of vertical impact craters.

C) Everything going upwards...

Either the meteors move at the same constant rate as the earth and never hit it.

Or they break the constant speed physics this universe has wrapped around it, and they strike the mantle and core...which would not make an impact crater, or any of the effects we've seen with meteors. (See the meteor that hit Russia)

Then we have the visual in the corner, which is just a thought and not as thought out as the rest but still...

If the Earth is flat and moves upward at a constant rate simulating gravity...

Then why is it that free particles or objects like a ball, or a man jumping/bouncing up and down...inevitably go down...but the atmosphere being made up of free particles does not collapse? If the earth is flat then the atmosphere should itself, be flat. and not a dome. Even mountains settle and flatten over time, the less dense atmosphere should flatten in no time.

12. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah, I don't like how I said that. I won't bother editing it, but I'll change what I said here.

I was taught the basic idea of gravity; the stuff they cram in you during school. It made sense to me, and no one refuted it, and so I figured it was true. Lately I've seen arguments against it (PurplePoot being one of the first to talk to me about it), and now I've got a different view of it all. Basically I figure there's some truth to the original theories, but there are probably some flaws. I have no interest in finding out what really keeps us to the Earth, so I just take no "stand". I couldn't care less about the theory of gravity.

13. Captain Griffen

Captain Griffen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's not moving at a constant rate at all...? It's accellerating at a constant rate in its own non-inertial frame of reference. But why should meteors be moving at exactly the same speed?

14. Elenai

Elenai

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Everything is still supposed to be traveling 'up'. Meteors would not travel 'down'.

On another note:

How did a flat earth happen to form? And what of the other planets?

Why are stars and other celestial bodies spherical, and yet not the earth? Wouldn't the earth have been formed in a similar fashion to the rest of the universe's celestial devices?

What properties in physics, would have possibly allowed such a strange cylindrical formation, where as the other bodies are spheres? Assuming that they were not carved that way.

15. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Take it up with Einstein:
    Also, your god made the flat earth, silly. If you think this is a silly answer, then consider the question :p

16. Elenai

Elenai

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    But it is you who are currently here to answer the questions provided...not Einstein. Answer them. :)

My God made a round and spherical earth. ^^

17. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nowhere in the bible does it expressively state that your god created a round earth.

And I have, by quoting Einstein :p

18. Elenai

Elenai

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Doesn't say it is flat either :p

Well...quote more!

How does a cylindrical earth come to be in a universe filled with spheres?

19. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Q: "What about the stars, sun and moon and other planets? Are they flat too? What are they made of?"

A: The sun and moon, each 32 miles in diameter, circle Earth at a height of 3000 miles at its equator, located midway between the North Pole and the ice wall. A dense and unique gravitational field warps the path of the light rays creating a lower perceived sun or moon from greater distances. This continues until the light intersects the Earth appearing to set. Their apparent rising and setting are caused by the interruption of the horizon.

As for why the Earth's flat and nothing else is, that's an issue you'll have to take up with your god, I only have my theories.

20. Elenai

Elenai

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    The Space Place :: How do scientists know the distance between the planets? :D