• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HOW WOULD YOU COMPETE WITH DOTA?

Do you like dota?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
What people would love is a DotA with a semi-decent terrain and events that go on during play, like a raid on the main base or something. DotA is just gay

Level 3
DotA is a bit good, it's just the Allstar Forums that ruins the game. That's my opinion why DotA Allstars is crappy. If a better DotA is going to be made, that's if a forum gathers up as one and creates it together as a team. Allstars is nothing like that.

Level 12
I tried going against DotA a couple years ago. I attempted to make my own DotA at the time with some friends, it was called DotA Magma. Sadly, Allstars came along and shot it out of the sky so after that I just gave up reviving it. On a lighter note, even if a map isn't designed like DotA, it can still compete with it. Not to sound like I'm bragging but I'll use my footmen war as an example, both maps have about the same amount of heros, are around the same size and are highly addictive once you get into playing. The major difference is, I don't have a whole site, cash prize tournaments, cup holders, soda cans, taco shell wrappers, trading cards, t-shirts, underwear and stickers for my map. (Yea I know that was overkill but atleast its kinda funny). So my point is, its possible to compete with DotA even if your not trying along the lines of an AoS setup.

Hey it's you! I respect your maps :D... we are both alike, the elder map makers. Yeah you are right in those days I released Eternity Calls and rock... not untill when DotA allstars appear, suddenly bnet gets flooded with the DotA viruses! and everytime people host other maps, they are overwhelmed by DotA. Before CAstle Defense is one popular map, after dota is released, it is never played anymore...

Level 3
why the *beep* *beep* *beep* is everyone talking about how great or lame DOTA is in this thread..... This thread is about how to compete with DOTA remember....

but anyway here are my ideas about how to compete with DOTA:
a map must:
-be easy to learn for everybody!
-have a learning curve that will give an advantage to experienced players, but not too big of an advantage!
-have a lot of variations in how each game is played, so every game will be different!
-must have style! (which is absent in DOTA by my oppinion)

if all of these things are in your map in the right proportions, then it doesn't matter if it's an AOS, RPG, ARENA, MINI GAME MAP, or whatever else u can think of. It will just be popular!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Level 3
Lets say i only play DOTA to see whats so brilliant at it time by time i download the newest DOTA map and see if gameplay has any improvements.. but well its just not..

didn't you read what i just sayd??? DONT CHANGE THE SUBJECT, we're supposed to talk about competing with DOTA, not about how much it sux........

(this is how crap threads are born)

Level 11
Er sorry ranting...

Despite the fact this is an old thread, ill get to the point. THERE IS REALLY NO WAY TO COMPETE WITH IT! Allstars has been around since 2004 and there are no more "newbs" coming on to wc, and any ppl that do are instantly introduced to the game. The map has nothing different from any other AoS, i see maps like HoSk, a semi-original AoS idea that can't catch on because it takes longer then 10 seconds to learn how to play. Unlike Dota which takes oh....5 seconds, get a hero, utterly pwn and say your good with rigged heros, and farm a bit and make item combos, i don't know how a map is fun by just massing an item and using abilities, oh and 'teamwork' consists of doing a 3v1 on a hero and saying "OMG PWNED NOOB". Seriously DoTA has been ripping wc apart for a long time now. The original dota on RoC (which no one remembers anymore) was a decent game, i mean nothing special compared to the actual AoS game.
Oh and on that subject...I love how everyone says that "I'm making a DoTA-Like map, no one uses the term AoS anymore, i mean seriously...DoTA is not the only AoS, it wasn't the first one, and it isn't even notable.....
Oh and i don't want to be flamed by the pro-dota players, seriously have you ever PLAYED the original DoTA, and realize that allstars is a total ripoff and is the mutilation of a once-good map? To you all, DoTA Allstars fails (oh and this is an insanely long post that i really never do becasue nothing provokes me to do, but this DoTA is just disgusting) /end rant

Level 3
i agree with you all that DOTA has nothing original in it whatsoever, but the fact is that it is popular and will stay popular untill a warcraft editor from heaven redeems us from it. now that we all agree that DOTA sucks, lets all try to stick to how to beat DOTA ok???????????????????????????????????????????

THANK U VERY MUCH
:eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani:

Level 3
i agree with you all that DOTA has nothing original in it whatsoever, but the fact is that it is popular and will stay popular untill a warcraft editor from heaven redeems us from it. now that we all agree that DOTA sucks, lets all try to stick to how to beat DOTA ok???????????????????????????????????????????

THANK U VERY MUCH
:eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani: :eekani:

Just by looking at this post, this is all I can say for now:

So, we're going to make a map with all of the Hive members so it can overpower Allstars?

Level 27
Well you can play on private servers, saves money and you wouldn't get addicted to it cuz of the lack of people and...lag >.<

And Wow as we speak is updating graphics..slowly..
the new bc models have far more poly count than the usual.

The addiction is rly scaring me of WoW ( the payment even more :D ) because im already adicted ... ( fuck addiction )

Level 3
hey i got an idea: how bout we find ourselves a very old version of DOTA and add all sorts of stuff that isn't in allstars, like items and so..... if all those DOTA allstars lovers are so stupid, then they might fall for this 2 :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.