• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How To Write Longer Tooltips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I've installed WEU and tought that would enable me to write longer tooltips, but nooo, I still have limits. Maybe I haven't set something that needs to be set for longer tooltips to be writen. Does anyone knows?

P.S. What a hell are ubersplat and ubertip???

Level 12
I've installed WEU and tought that would enable me to write longer tooltips, but nooo, I still have limits. Maybe I haven't set something that needs to be set for longer tooltips to be writen. Does anyone knows?

P.S. What a hell are ubersplat and ubertip???

I don't bother with those ubers, but I'm pretty sure your tooltip is limited to however big the screen can be in comparison to the text size. So it doesn't clip.

You must be writing books in the tooltips, huh? =)

Level 4
No, not books. My skills have 5 levels and I like to write a nice and complete tooltip of what it does on each level. I've seen some maps with longer tooltips than mine so I'm wondering how to achive that.

Level 4
No Saishy, that's not it. I would gain 5-6 more letters that way. Have you played Requiem of Gods? Have you saw those tooltips. They almost reach the top of the screen and I have 21" monitor :)

Level 17
I'm not sure about this and I don't really feel like trying it out myself (bedtime here), but I think you should give my idea a try.
As you know, or not, all your map's strings are stored in the war3map.wts file. To open it you will need a tool, JassCraft, for example. With that, you can even edit them. So look up your tooltips in the war3map.wts file and edit them with JassCraft, go and write the book.
Don't forget to report back later, I too would like to know if it works or not :p

Level 7
I'm not sure about this and I don't really feel like trying it out myself (bedtime here), but I think you should give my idea a try.
As you know, or not, all your map's strings are stored in the war3map.wts file. To open it you will need a tool, JassCraft, for example. With that, you can even edit them. So look up your tooltips in the war3map.wts file and edit them with JassCraft, go and write the book.
Don't forget to report back later, I too would like to know if it works or not :p

this crazy thing might actually work xD

Level 4
I think there's another way without tampering on game files. Is't there some way to disable the limits with WEU or some other editor. I realy gotta ask this the guy who made Requiem of Gods map.

Level 4
Yes, but if I change some file that isn't contained inside my map than nobody beside me would be able to play that map unless they change that file the way I did. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not.

Level 4
I was thinking on war3map.wts file that you said. Where is that file anyway. If it's contained inside the map file than my appologies and yes that might work, but if it's somewhere inside the Warcraft installation folder (didn't find it there) than my theory is wright.

Level 17
Actually, a warcraft 3 map file is not a single file by certain means, but a compilation of several files.
When you create or open a map World Editor stores information in files named:
War3map.wts (strings)
War3map.j (JASS code)
War3mapMisc.txt (custom game constants)
War3mapSkin.txt (custom game interface)
..and many more (not to mention your imported models, they are stored in a different folder for each path).
And then when you save your map WE compiles (and packs) these files into a single file: yourmaptitle.w3x

I'm yet to check if my suggested solution works, but I'm 90% sure it will.

Level 19
JUST HOLD SHIFT WHILE YOU ARE DOUBLE CLICKING THE TOOLTIP TO CHANGE
now you can enter long texts

Level 4
It would be great if it were that easy. I just tried it and must say nothing again. The same amount of text can be inserted with or without holding the shift. Unless you're talking about WEU. Are you?

Level 14
In both saving on text space and making the tip easier to read, it could be better to write a tooltip like this:

Description... I value law, order, community and light. I love to protect the social order and the rule of law. At my best, I am just and protective. At my worst, I am authoratarian and dogmatic. My symbol is a sunburst. My enemies and black and red.

Damage: 40 / 50 / 80 / 110
Cooldown: 12
Range: 666

This way, you're not repeating anything, which saves you and your players time. If your tooltips surpass mine (which frequently intersect the multiboard, and use the method described), then I would suggest shortening them to a length players might actually read.

Level 4
After a long search I must inform you all that there's no possible way to write longer tooltips than they are! That's a good advice for tooltips Softmints and I might use it. That's all there is on this subject and I here by pronounce this thread closed. Go home!

Level 9
People, people! Why all the anger!? Ingwar, these people are trying to help you, show some respect! Also, the other might want to bare with a little more patience, Ingwar can't help that he doesn't understand what you say.

Level 4
There's no anger here and I respect and +rep everyone who helps me in any way. I saw the map and it's big becouse you used capital A and it looks long becouse there are no spaces or line breaks. You gotta have them in tooltips but they reduce the amount of letters you can input but never mind, it will do.

P.S. It doesn't matter if you hold shif or not while double clicking to edit the tooltips. Either way you can insert the same amount of letters. Please double check this before trying to convince me it is so!

Level 19
It ONLY doesnt work with Text - Description which you DONT see in anywhere

What the fu*k else do you need it to be ?
if you want longer than this, get a life

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.