1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

How to: Use Custom Music in Your Map

Discussion in 'General Mapping Tutorials' started by brad.dude03, Mar 4, 2007.

1. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You make a trigger for the music, and the event is Map Initialization. This will play the music for the player as soon as they finish loading.

2. I3arf

I3arf

Resources:
    Resources:
    I get it!

Just wanted to say thx. most of my sound imports are working now!

3. jee

jee

Resources:
    Resources:

Im having the same problem. I can import the sound file but i can't play it. It's an mp3 file (137 KB). Layer 3 56 kbps 32000 Hz.

4. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    As i've explained a million times, there is no solution for this. WE just rejects your audio file, so you need to find a different copy or a different file altogether.

5. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i understood why WE can't import these files even if they're compressed. Map files, when grouped in a campaign, crash when opened via game when they go over 4 MB. That's why. Single maps can exceed i think.

6. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No, the entire point is for the song to be compressed to something small, like 1 MB, which clearly shouldn't drive you over the 4 MB cap unless you have a hundred imports, in which case you should be making a campaign not a multiplayer map.

7. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    And that's really what i meant ;)

8. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    And there you go then :D

I guess that is indeed the only advice I can offer: Make sure that the size of your map, after importing music, does NOT exceed 4 MB's, or the map wont be playable on B.net, etc.

9. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    the map won't be playable from me neither if it trepass that size! xD
    I already solved the problem anyway, from long time by now. ;)

10. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Im too audio encoder no longer seems to have the same functions listed in your tutorial. Where and how do i convert musics as your tutorial explains?

11. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
  12. LordPerenoldeII

LordPerenoldeII

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It does't work on me. I followed every step of the tutorial but it won't find the lame encoder in the software!
    EDIT: Luckily, and i say LUCKILY, i found imToo audio encoder on a backup hard disk.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  13. Valenvai

Valenvai

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think I found a typo. You say click on 9600 Hz rate and click on the 96000. Looks like you were hungry and ate a 0. :p

14. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Nice catch! I've updated the post.

15. hypsandar

hypsandar

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just a thought, what's the point in converting it into "MP2" if world editor only reads "WAV" and "MP3"

16. AnonymousPro

AnonymousPro

Resources:
    Resources:
    Good tutorial. I just started making map, and this helped me a lot.

17. tulee

tulee

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hi guys!

I think this tutorial might be somewhat outdated ;p

A few months back when I started adding music to my maps, I failed spectacularly in trying to follow the second tutorial on the first page on the compressing music part (I was unable to compress any music successfully). My current map series each have 3-4 imported music songs, and the music is adding + approximately 22mb to each map just from the music. Even though it actually has no effect on lag in game, I think the such a high size is a considerable deterrent to people who want to play the maps. Was wondering if anyone has recently had success with lowering the file size of imported music without a noticeable decrease to the sound quality.

Thanks for your time!

18. Jamir

Jamir

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hi tulee! May I ask what audio editor you are using? I'm currently using Audacity to reduce the music imports for my campaign and it works. Each music file I edit is down to 50% of their original size. I can still reduce it a little bit more but I think I'm happy with the results, and it doesn't sound like it's too compressed.

Anyway, what I do is I set the music's rate once to 96000Hz then save it as MP3. And after I import it to WE, I set the pitch to 0.46.

The important part here is that the file size is directly proportional to the length of the music. So you may also want to cut out some unnecessary parts in it if you can. And Audacity is great at that.

Hope this helps!

Disclaimer. I'm not an expert on music editors, I too just followed the guides posted. :)

19. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The battle net limit size is increased, at least put 8 there :p (1.24 patch in mind)