• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make Starcraft II icons

Level 12
Try using Paint.NET. You can get it for free here. Simple open your DDS (by default, DDS is supported), grab the magic wand, select your white area (or where you want to be transparent), and hit "delete". The selected area will instantly become alpha channeled. This probably is not the best way to do it, but it works. If you want it professionally done, attach your DDS and I'll see what I can do.

Also remember that PNGs do work as well; they're almost just as good as a DDS, minus their size (slightly larger) and single layers.

Level 3
Actually I figured it out, the images I was using were already alpha channeled, it was the fact that I was 'creating new', thus the background was a solid white. When I open my images as layers, it works fine. Aside from them being horribly misshapen and ugly as hell. lol

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You can install the offical .dds editor made by microsoft themselves (who specified the .dds format) for free. It is part of the DirectX SDK which is a free set of tools aimed for developing programs for DirectX.

Be aware that a lot of the options it have are for buffers and not textures (as .dds is a buffer format of which textures are a small subset). Yes making a cube map of floating-point surfaces may sound cool but I do not think SC2 will make much use of them.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The bigger, the better, as you can add as much definition as you want for those tiny details.
Not entirly true. Remember that the icons will be displayed at a certain size only so any resolution above the size of the icon on the ingame interface just wastes space.

I would recon that the icons should be complient for native display on a 1080p complying display (so the icon is displayed 1:1) at standard interface layout. Any resolution above that is very rare and probably not worth the extra file size. If the icon is too big or too smaller, SC2 will auto scale it using filtering to the appropiate size.

As for that resolution... I do not know off hand. I guess it needs to be measured.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
If these pictures are for display on the forums (like to get help or give help), either attach them to your post or upload them to pastebin and link that.

If these pictures are finished icons or skins, upload them to the appropiate resource section (SC 2 Resources).

Level 2
64x64 is optimal for me, attached a simple unit icon/button.

Attachments

• Draenei Champ.gif
    Draenei Champ.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 327