• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How Long do you think Beta will take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I thought I heard sometime ago from Blizzard that Beta will take 4-6 months? Is it true? If, so than we should expect SC2 to be released late summer or early fall of this year(Winter at the latest if they plan on taking it slow just, so they can release it around Christmas time). What is your estimate on how long Beta will take?

Level 2
Well knowing blizzard they will drag the beta all the way to the summer where then everyone will take a break from the game then release it once the summer ends.

Level 4
Id hope summer, but who knows. They already spent too much damn time making it. No matter how long it takes, I just hope it comes out as expected or beyond expectation.

Level 2
they should release the map editor even if we cant try the maps so there would a somewhat collection of custom maps at release

Level 15
From what i've played, i have encountered very few problems with B.net 2.0 and the game itself, i think it's mainly an issue of balancing melee (which i'm sure is priority number 1 for them, as they hope SC2 will become a very popular esport), and just giving the entire game that polish that comes with Blizzard games.

Level 14
From what i've played, i have encountered very few problems with B.net 2.0 and the game itself, i think it's mainly an issue of balancing melee (which i'm sure is priority number 1 for them, as they hope SC2 will become a very popular esport), and just giving the entire game that polish that comes with Blizzard games.

I doubt it's the priority to balance, I think it's battle.net 2.0 that it's the main priority atm since they've been spending so much time on it.

Level 6
I'm hoping for late summer, however, I wouldn't mind if it came out Christmas.

Thanks for all the responses, so far.

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

I thought I heard sometime ago from Blizzard that Beta will take 4-6 months? Is it true? If, so than we should expect SC2 to be released late summer or early fall of this year(Winter at the latest if they plan on taking it slow just, so they can release it around Christmas time). What is your estimate on how long Beta will take?

At This Point, A Couple of Years Wouldn't Surprise Me

Level 22
THIS here, will given an explanations to why it's taking so long and so on, and will hopefully make ppl stop saying (in Blizzard forum), 'I need a key'. Xordiah was very nice to answer some questions including a personal to me, so here is the answer:

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23393189966&sid=3000
There are a lot more than 10.000 people getting into this beta. :) Just a quick explanation on why this process works the way it does, a beta is not only there to test the balance and see how players like the game, it is also to test the infrastructure of the game. Inviting players in waves makes sure that the infrastructure is able to handle the first load before inviting more players, gradually increasing the numbers. This helps our IT teams make sure everything runs smoothly and or catch any problems and fix them before having a large load on the infastructure.
This is definitely not to make you guys suffer or anything - it is just a necessity of beta testing for us. :)

Level 2
Cat is probably going to make a november release. They have already started stalling. It isn't even in beta yet, and we would probably know if it was in alpha (friends and family alpha was leaked fast). November is the WoW tradition.

Blizzard isn't going to release Cat and SC2 at the same time either. There are a fair amount of people who are going to take a break from WoW when SC2 comes out (/cancel subscription), most people in my guild are cancelling subs for a few months for SC2. If you add in the fact that they will probably buy SC2 instead of Cat it might be months before they get around to buying Cat and get back on WoW.

Diablo 2 Release = June 29
Diablo 2 LOD = June 27
Starcraft = April 1
Starcraft Brood War = November 30 (but same year as starcraft)
WC3 RoC = July 3
WC3 FF = July 3

The most recent non-mmos were released in Q2. Expect SC2 anywhere between April-July. (The past betas for those games havn't lasted 6 months anyway).

Level 15
Well, seeing as they've been having immense server issues over on the east coast of the US (my friends from florida can only play between 2am and like 6am, or else they'll dc), i think the beta testing might take a little longer, as their Beta testing pool has been "contaminated" if you will.

B.net 2.0 was down for like 3 hours the other day while they performed server maintenance and released the patch, and the server issues still have not been fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.