• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] How does the NE Sentinel ability work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Supposedly, it sends an owl to a tree. But I tried tinkering with it to see what can be customised and it never cools down, as in as soon as I send the bird away the ability disappears and the bird just hangs around the tree forever.

Where do you set what unit gets sent, etc. and if you can change the variables? I mean, what am I missing here?

Level 11
Change "Data - Number of Owls" to 0 for infinite charges.

Change "Stats - Effect" to a custom effect to change the visual above the tree. It doesn't actually summon any kind of unit. Also change "Art - Missile Art" of course.

Sentinel is hard coded to be permanent until the tree dies, you cannot change its duration in the object editor. The closest you could get would be replacing the tree it's cast on with a different tree after a set amount of time via triggers.

Level 8
It's pretty easy to just trigger an ability identical to sentinel with a duration, though.

If you use sentry ward skill you will get the same effect with duration.

Remember about target

This is intriguing. What do you have in mind? I mean, the point of the Sentinel ability is that it dies when the tree dies, right. With a ward, it will probably need to be triggered, I'm guessing?

Level 11
This is intriguing. What do you have in mind? I mean, the point of the Sentinel ability is that it dies when the tree dies, right. With a ward, it will probably need to be triggered, I'm guessing?

You can and should still use the Sentinel ability, just set the effect to something small and the effect height to -300, as well as the vision radius to 0 and all that, effectively making the ability have no effect - but it will still attach to the tree, which means you won't be able to cast it on the same tree twice, which makes this a little easier to do.

• Trigger1
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Hashtable - Create a hashtable
      • Set Hashtable = (Last created hashtable)

• Trigger2
    • Events
      • (Place your events here)
    • Conditions
      • (Place your conditions here)
    • Actions
      • (Create your dummy unit, give it an expiration timer, and do whatever else you want FIRST, then do the following)
      • Set integer = (Key (Last created unit))
      • Set integer2 = (Key (Target destructible of ability being cast))
      • Hashtable - Save Handle Of(Target destructible of ability being cast) as 1 of integer in Hashtable
      • Hashtable - Save Handle Of(Last created unit) as 1 of integer2 in Hashtable
      • Trigger - Add to Trigger3 <gen> the event (Destructible - (Load 1 of integer in Hashtable) dies)

• Trigger3
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Kill (Load 1 of (Key (Dying destructible)) in Hashtable)

Level 9

Of course yes. Just when tree dies kill all wards in radius of 10. That will remove senty ward. This way you will simply have Sentiel with duration. I think linking ward with tree is easier than triggering duration to Sentiel.

Status
Not open for further replies.