How do you think the case of obesity and overweight will develop and can be combated?

Level 4
To start off, some quick facts from WHO:
  • Worldwide obesity has nearly tripled since 1975.
  • In 2016, more than 1.9 billion adults, 18 years and older, were overweight. Of these over 650 million were obese.
  • 39% of adults aged 18 years and over were overweight in 2016, and 13% were obese.
  • Most of the world's population live in countries where overweight and obesity kills more people than underweight.
  • 38 million children under the age of 5 were overweight or obese in 2019.
  • Over 340 million children and adolescents aged 5-19 were overweight or obese in 2016.
  • Obesity is preventable.
In a world with stationary, physically passivizing jobs, commonplace bad dietal habits, and predatory food industry, among other factors, plaguing the developed world and, to an ever-increasing extent, the developing world, a kind of obesogenic environment can be seen as rattling societies.
There are medical and nonmedical costs to overweight and obesity. In a 2019 study by Yusefzadeh et al. it was found that "obese people spend 32% more for medical costs compared to people with normal weight" (note obese ≠ overweight). Indirect costs of obesity was found by numerous studies to account for the majority of costs incurred by obesity (e.g., lower productivity). The authors said that due to environmental changes during the last 30 years, it is harder for people to maintain a healthy weight - should this continue, the prevalence of obesity will increase. Directly quoting the study.
As the prevalence of obesity increases, the prevalence of diseases related to obesity including diabetes type 2, cardiovascular diseases, and different types of cancers (endometrium, postmenopausal breast, kidney, and colon cancer), musculoskeletal disorders, sleep apnea, and diseases related to the gallbladder is also being increased.

Based on the World Health Organization statistics, obesity accounts for 60% of the deaths among the Iranian people (21,000 per year) and it is the fifth cause of death in the world. Based on this organization, approximately 2.8 million adults die annually because of obesity or overweight in the world. In addition, 44% of diabetes burden, 23% of cardiovascular disease burden, and 7%–41% of specific cancers burden in the world are related with obesity and overweight.
Promotion of physical activity and healthy dietal habits is no doubt part of the solution - but how aggressively should this be carried out? Also, should the food industry be regulated, and if yes, how aggressively? What other governmental actions (e.g. reducing the cost of overweight-related healthcare services) do you see as bettering the situation?

Moreover, as the title reads, how do you think the situation of obesity and overweight will develop worldwide?

I personally think that, as more and more people in developing countries enter the middle class, overweight and obesity as a global phenomenon will worsen. And as to what kinds of actions could governments make, healthy lifestyle must be promoted in school curricula as I see one's lifestyle habits in childhood predict, to some extent, those in their adulthood. Healthy school meals must also be a thing.

Level 10
The solution, of course, is physical activity and diet.

Nutrition
Talking about diet, the biggest culprit here is sugar. Sweets in general are very unhealthy and should be a rare treat, but it's not just that. Very commonly consumed types of foods like bread (and other grain products), various veggies, alcohol are full of carbohydrates, that increase sugar levels in blood. Now, sugar is a source of energy for the body. But with our sugar-infested food today, as well as our generally sedentary lifestyle, our bodies are getting excess amounts of sugar. And where does the excess go? It's stored as fat.

How do you drop this fat? Exercise, obviously. Physical activity. However, it's not just that. If you keep eating high amounts of carbs, your body is going to keep using the energy from those eaten carbs, rather than burning your stores of energy (body fat). Thus, you also have to adjust your diet. And before you go to grab that carrot or broccoli, look at what diet actors used to get in shape (Chris Prat, the Rock, Christian Bale as a few examples):
They stopped eating sweets, drinking alcohol, eating grain products. Instead, they began eating lots of meat, eggs, fish, dairy. Essentially, least amount of carbs food.

And the logic is simple - if you consume less sugar, your body HAS to use the sugar stored in fat. Thus, burning fat. And to make sure that the body has such a need for energy, you must exercise. It's logic in practice, my dear Watson!

Exercise and education
Talking about physical activity... It's pretty straight forward. People need to get outside, walk, run, swim, exercise. There has to be a habit of doing physical activities, that has to be ingrained in people from early age.

And that, of course, is first of all the responsibility of the parents. As anything related to children is. But at the same time, I also think, that schools should have more physical fitness classes. Those should happen at least once a day. Even 1 hour of good physical exercise a day is going to help the situation very much.

Promotion of physical activity and healthy dietal habits is no doubt part of the solution - but how aggressively should this be carried out? Also, should the food industry be regulated, and if yes, how aggressively? What other governmental actions (e.g. reducing the cost of overweight-related healthcare services) do you see as bettering the situation?
I do not think government should regulate anything. Body weight and health is everyone's individual business. It's not government business to deal with it, nor does the government has a right to, even, to meddle in people's personal health matters.

What the government could do, at the most, is educate people properly about need of exercise, about dangers of sweets, etc.

Last edited:
Level 4
Talking about diet, the biggest culprit here is sugar. Sweets in general are very unhealthy and should be a rare treat, but it's not just that. Very commonly consumed types of foods like bread (and other grain products), various veggies, alcohol are full of carbohydrates, that increase sugar levels in blood. Now, sugar is a source of energy for the body. But with our sugar-infested food today, as well as our generally sedentary lifestyle, our bodies are getting excess amounts of sugar. And where does the excess go? It's stored as fat.
I feel fixating on blaming carbs instead of calories in general is a meme. Now, I do not doubt for a second that a lot of us get too many carbs in respect to physical activity. But I feel like adding to this that 1g of carbs has around 4kcal and 1g of fat around 9kcal and that furthermore, the body can't use fat directly as an energy source. There's also the simple–complex divide in carbs (e.g. white bread–rye bread). The former absorbs faster, spiking up blood sugar content (note that this might be desirable, say, in the midst of heavy exercise, think maltodextrin). Fat is largely worthless and is needed very little (by quantity) by bodily functions, say, as an ingredient in lipid barriers, brains... In fact, tablespoon of rapeseed oil sates the daily need.
I do not think government should regulate anything. Body weight and health is everyone's individual business. It's not government business to deal with it, nor does the government has a right to, even, to meddle in people's personal health matters.
What do you say about "[u]se subsidies to incentivize healthy food and taxes to disincentivize less-healthy purchases" (Obesity and inequities - WHO/Europe)? I feel like cost plays a big factor here. We could draw parallel to tobacco taxation and look how it's affected the smoking rates. Directly quoting a study by Bader et al. (2011):
The economic literature has made unique and important contributions to our understanding of the effectiveness of tobacco taxation on ameliorating the health consequences of smoking. Increased tobacco taxes, passed on to consumers in the form of higher cigarette prices, provide an economic disincentive to those who smoke or may be contemplating smoking. Indeed, the evidence from this knowledge synthesis strongly supports increasing cigarette prices through tobacco taxation as a powerful strategy for achieving major reductions in smoking behavior among some, but not all, high-risk populations.

Last edited:
Level 10
I feel fixating on blaming carbs instead of calories in general is a meme. Now, I do not doubt for a second that a lot of us get too many carbs in respect to physical activity. But I feel like adding to this that 1g of carbs has around 4kcal and 1g of fat around 9kcal and that furthermore, the body can't use fat directly as an energy source. There's also the simple–complex divide in carbs (e.g. white bread–rye bread). The former absorbs faster, spiking up blood sugar content (note that this might be desirable, say, in the midst of heavy exercise, think maltodextrin). Fat is largely worthless and is needed very little (by quantity) by bodily functions, say, as an ingredient in lipid barriers, brains... In fact, tablespoon of rapeseed oil sates the daily need.
This is a highly debated topic, however, there are a few things to say about fat-rich animal products:
Article above points out, that higher fat intake in poor countries doesn't cause higher prevalence in obesity. Also, with the decline of fat consumption in US over the last 2 decades, the prevalence of obesity actually increased.

This article tackles the famous experiment with rodents, that was supposed to prove how high-fat diet causes obesity. The problem is, as the article points out, that the diet given to rodents contained quite large amount of sugar.

The previous article also points to this study, that confirms, that rodents fed the Ketogenic diet were the healthiest. On the contrary, even though rodents, who were fed high-carb diet were consuming similar amount of calories, they got fat. And they dropped the excess weight once moving over to Keto diet.

All of this just supports further what I pointed out before - people who body-build for carrier (like actors) switch to Keto diet (or something close) to build muscle bulk and lose excess fat. And while yes, there are still debates over fat vs. carbs, but studies and diet results consistently show more benefits in Keto diet, while showing clear correlations between eating high amount of carbs and obesity.

What do you say about "[u]se subsidies to incentivize healthy food and taxes to disincentivize less-healthy purchases" (Obesity and inequities - WHO/Europe)? I feel like cost plays a big factor here. We could draw parallel to tobacco taxation and look how it's affected the smoking rates. Directly quoting a study by Bader et al. (2011):
I believe in free market and economy. I believe that the government should not enforce things like this. Either directly, or through prices.

As I said, the only thing the government should do, as I believe, is to help educate people.

At the same time, I highly doubt that the government will do it, because modern governments are consisting of businessmen. It's not in their interest to turn people against a huge part of the economy. Why, do you think, McDonalds and the entire junk food industry still exists? Why do soda companies like Coca Cola still exist? Why are these businesses still allowed to exist and are as large as ever? Because the government isn't concerned with protecting people's health. There's huge amounts of money in junk food industry, and it fuels the pharmaceutical (and medical) industry as well.

We should not rely on the government. Our health, and wellbeing, has to be ensured by us, ourselves.

Last edited:
Level 8
Society at large bears the responsibility of providing the individual enough monetary resources and free time to even be able to care in the first place. If your day is crammed with responsiblities from the moment you wake up, chances are you'll be eating bad because it's faster.

Society + parents bear the responsibility of teaching basic habits around food such as limiting sugar, trying to eat at regular hours etc.

The adult individual bears the responsibility for self-education and for figuring out a method to restrict or burn calories that they do not abhor. There are endless ways. Keto, swimming, weight training, walks, team sports, climbing, martial arts, hiking, running, intermittent fasting, frisbee golf, dancing, canoeing or just counting calories and measuring meals. you name it.
For every person in the 1st world who's got enough time over to care, it's your job to try different methods until you find one that works for you because it's painless/fun enough for you to stick with it.

Level 4
Article above points out, that higher fat intake in poor countries doesn't cause higher prevalence in obesity.
That study, in its conclusion, seems to align with my view, "reduction in total calories ingested and enhancement of physical activity appear to be the most effective physiological alternatives".
I feel fixating on blaming carbs instead of calories in general is a meme.
Attacking carbs as a whole and subsequent epiphanies such as a keto diet is just what I'd expect out of a women's magazine. Hopefully people consult their doctors in order to arrive at educated decisions on their health before engaging with any fad diets.
Also, with the decline of fat consumption in US over the last 2 decades, the prevalence of obesity actually increased.
Are you implying a causal relationship here?
On the contrary, even though rodents, who were fed high-carb diet were consuming similar amount of calories, they got fat.
HF had 31.7% sucrose/maltodextrin in their diet. So it'd align with my view, taking into account the simple–complex divide, that such diet be unhealthy. And the diet I would promote wouldn't have 20.7% lard...
Edit: I might've looked at the wrong column. Which diet were you referring to?
[...] people who body-build for carrier (like actors) switch to Keto diet (or something close) to build muscle bulk and lose excess fat [...]
Are you saying keto diet is beneficial for muscle buildup? I can buy that keto could alter the metabolic state such that weight loss be easier, but this claim I couldn't find tenable backing for.

Edit: I don't have a strong opinion on free market, but regardless it was good to hear your reasoning for opposing governmental interference on this subject.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 58
Sugar is only a problem if you eat more of it than you need. This is usually the result of very bad eating habits or a poor diet.
They stopped eating sweets, drinking alcohol, eating grain products. Instead, they began eating lots of meat, eggs, fish, dairy. Essentially, least amount of carbs food.
That is to put on muscle mass, and not lose weight. Your body can convert meats into fat just as well as sugars, if not even better due to meats already having stored fats. However meats contain a lot of other chemicals your body needs so help form a good diet which in turn results in feeling less hungry and so eating less. Eating less is less energy to potentially turn to fat.

And the logic is simple - if you consume less sugar, your body HAS to use the sugar stored in fat. Thus, burning fat. And to make sure that the body has such a need for energy, you must exercise. It's logic in practice, my dear Watson!
Breaking down fat can put a lot of strain on your metabolism. This can be especially problematic for people with diabetes who already have issue controlling their blood sugar level.
Talking about physical activity... It's pretty straight forward. People need to get outside, walk, run, swim, exercise. There has to be a habit of doing physical activities, that has to be ingrained in people from early age.
Or they can eat a more balanced diet, feel less hungry, eat less in total and so not need to burn away excess energy. In other words solving the cause rather than the effect.

This also is not recommended at the current time given the current state of the world. Being active is contradictory to trying to stop a virus spreading.
But at the same time, I also think, that schools should have more physical fitness classes. Those should happen at least once a day. Even 1 hour of good physical exercise a day is going to help the situation very much.
This is largely contradictory to sending children to school in the first place. Being tired from all that sport is not good for learning things and you send kids to school to learn things and not to kick balls around. Maybe it could be targeted specifically at individuals who are overweight (and not diabetic or other underlying health conditions which sport makes worse), but if anything kids should not be forced to do PE at all.

What do you say about "se subsidies to incentivize healthy food and taxes to disincentivize less-healthy purchases" (Obesity and inequities - WHO/Europe)? I feel like cost plays a big factor here. We could draw parallel to tobacco taxation and look how it's affected the smoking rates. Directly quoting a study by Bader et al. (2011):
Unfair and goes against peoples traditions. People were eating sugar long before obesity was a problem. In addition to that it punishes people who already eat well and who are not overweight by making them pay more for the few times they do eat something "unhealthy".

The effect of such taxes on destroying food culture is already visible in the U.K. Due to the "sugar tax" it is now impossible to get some traditional treats with real or correct amounts of sugar in them, instead using artificial sweeteners or vastly reduced sugar. Not only do artificial sweeteners have bad reactions with some people, but they also do not taste the same as real sugar. Putting less real sugar in also alters the flavour of the product, changing it so it is not the same product, despite them calling it the same. Some of these recipes originated hundreds of years ago, and now they are being butchered by the sugar tax to the point future generations may never taste the real thing.
Why, do you think, McDonalds and the entire junk food industry still exists? Why do soda companies like Coca Cola still exist? Why are these businesses still allowed to exist and are as large as ever?
Because medicine, and the understanding of human health in general, is very primitive and close to hitting two stones together when compared with other areas of science which are constructing intricate, large scale and reliable 5nm structures. According to modern ethics, it is unethical to actually try to fix human health, instead letting them die more slowly is the only ethical answer to healthcare.

There is almost certainly an "unethical" solution to all obesity. For example changing people's metabolism such that it passes through excess energy rather than turning it into fat, or generates understandable/measurable feedback when too much fat is being created due to a dietary problems so that corrective action can be taken.

Last edited:
Level 10
Sorry for the late reply, but now I finally can address this :D

Sugar is only a problem if you eat more of it than you need. This is usually the result of very bad eating habits or a poor diet.
Indeed, I agree. The problem is, however, that most of today's food contains high amounts of added sugar. Not even mentioning things like sweet soda drinks (which can almost be called liquid sugar), things like bread and other grain products, as well as most fruit and some vegetables. As the source below states, naturally occurring sugar isn't a problem. But excess amount is very harmful:

That is to put on muscle mass, and not lose weight.
That is for both, actually. Ketonic diet contains a lot of protein and very little carbs, meaning that it helps your body burn fat very effectively AND, at the same time, build muscle mass.

Your body can convert meats into fat just as well as sugars, if not even better due to meats already having stored fats. However meats contain a lot of other chemicals your body needs so help form a good diet which in turn results in feeling less hungry and so eating less. Eating less is less energy to potentially turn to fat.
For one, there are multiple kinds of meat. Something like chicken and fish actually have very low amount of fat, while still providing you with protein and other nutrients you'd get from meat. For another, animal fats are, in fact, good for you. For indeed, they give you energy much like sugar, BUT they don't raise your blood sugar level. In fact, there are people apparently going keto to battle diabetes:

Also, as this article says:
If you already consume a moderate or high amount of carbs, lean meat is probably better. However, at the same time - Inuits in antarctica, as well as nomads in Mongolia live in complete carnivore diet. Eating not just the meat, but everything from an animal. And in general, humans have lived for millions of years mainly eating food of animal origin. While sugar, grain and vegetables have only been farmed and consumed for a few thousand years.

Lastly, just another source that contains some links on why saturated animal fat is good, in fact:

Breaking down fat can put a lot of strain on your metabolism. This can be especially problematic for people with diabetes who already have issue controlling their blood sugar level.
Breaking down processed hydrogenated fats or trans fats (contained in fast/fried food and oils) is straining your metabolism, because it's difficult to break down. Natural animal fat is, in fact, very easy to break down for the human body.

Or they can eat a more balanced diet, feel less hungry, eat less in total and so not need to burn away excess energy. In other words solving the cause rather than the effect.
Yes, eating balanced diet is good. Thing is, however, that balanced diet (as pointed out by previous sources) can consist of fully ketogenic diet - eating red meat with the fat eliminates the need to consume sugar (getting enough energy). Or, the balanced diet can include a moderate amount of naturally occurring sugar (fruits and vegetables) and lean meat.

Added sugar is a bad thing either way.

Also, if you are not moving much, it doesn't matter how little you eat (within reason). You will still be gaining weight. Unless, of course, you starve yourself. Which is even worse.

This also is not recommended at the current time given the current state of the world. Being active is contradictory to trying to stop a virus spreading.
No one is keeping you from driving to a park (with few people) for a walk, or run. Also, being outside (even among people) doesn't endanger them if you are not sneezing or coughing. Or wear a mask. No one is sitting at home, anyways. And the only ones, being actually in any danger, are high risk groups.

This is largely contradictory to sending children to school in the first place. Being tired from all that sport is not good for learning things and you send kids to school to learn things and not to kick balls around.
First of all, mental and physical exercise are different. And it is, in fact, healthy to balance mental work with some physical exercise. Source below actually explains, that physical exercise reduces stress and makes you feel better.

Which is especially true in children, who love to play. Children, even more than adults, NEED physical activity. It is literally vital to their development and health. Also, 1 hour of physical exercise a day is not going to tire kids out. It doesn't have any negative effects, literally.

Lastly, children come to school to grow as people. And physical growth cannot be neglected. If they aren't very active at home, at least they can be active in school. Not to mention, that kids spend many hours with intense mental work and stress. They need the relieve. And the best relieve - physical activity!

Because medicine, and the understanding of human health in general, is very primitive and close to hitting two stones together when compared with other areas of science which are constructing intricate, large scale and reliable 5nm structures. According to modern ethics, it is unethical to actually try to fix human health, instead letting them die more slowly is the only ethical answer to healthcare.

There is almost certainly an "unethical" solution to all obesity. For example changing people's metabolism such that it passes through excess energy rather than turning it into fat, or generates understandable/measurable feedback when too much fat is being created due to a dietary problems so that corrective action can be taken.
Uhm... That is completely not true. We are very well aware what excess (or added) sugar does to the body. There are reasons why there are some symbolic regulations, like not allowing energy drinks to minors. Even the misconceptions about animal fat are being outted, and an increasing amount of people are switching to ketogenic diet.

Governments are very well aware of the issues, but they are allowing this industry to exist. Because money. Money is always the answer with capitalist governments.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 58
Breaking down processed hydrogenated fats or trans fats (contained in fast/fried food and oils) is straining your metabolism, because it's difficult to break down. Natural animal fat is, in fact, very easy to break down for the human body.
I was referring to human body fat as broken down by its owner's metabolism. It is a storage of energy after all and has to be converted for your body to get rid of it. That process puts strain on the human body which can lead to or contribute towards health problems in some people. Let us not forget it also releases any stored harmful chemicals that the body then also has to deal with, such as those you pick up from eating food or pollution in the environment.
First of all, mental and physical exercise are different. And it is, in fact, healthy to balance mental work with some physical exercise. Source below actually explains, that physical exercise reduces stress and makes you feel better.
No it does not. I hated PE (Physical Education) at school and so did other family members of mine. In fact, the most stressful time I had at school was during PE. Would take a math exam over it any day. Now that I am an adult it is not something I would want any of my children to do for sure.
Also, 1 hour of physical exercise a day is not going to tire kids out. It doesn't have any negative effects, literally.
Next to the number of days of school children lost due to injuries sustained from doing PE (myself included) there was also a noticeable reduction in performance immediately after PE. There is no way you can expect someone to perform as well in an exam straight, or even later in the day, after having to run around a football (soccer) field for an hour. This is not factoring the long term health problems it has caused some individuals.
Lastly, children come to school to grow as people.
They go to school to learn knowledge. Growing as people is meant to be a product of that.
If they aren't very active at home, at least they can be active in school.
Or more like, they are not very active at home because they were very active at school and are tired out from the PE they had to do on top of all the walking between the class rooms and during lunch. This already totals over an hour a day of climbing stairs and walking before the PE.

Not to mention, that kids spend many hours with intense mental work and stress. They need the relieve. And the best relieve - physical activity!
Given how easy most the stuff at school is, it is hardly "intense mental work". And the best way I found to relax after school was to play Warcraft III custom maps.
That is completely not true. We are very well aware what excess (or added) sugar does to the body.
Which is nothing as long as people do not eat excessively, or more importantly eat a balanced diet. Also that still is not an actual modern solution, like an injection or pill, or even genetic modification that fixes it so your body automatically rejects excess sugar, passing it harmlessly. Certainly would not be called ethical currently.
Even the misconceptions about animal fat are being outted, and an increasing amount of people are switching to ketogenic diet.
If anything people are moving away from "ketogenic" diets due to socioeconomic problems. It is hard to justify a lot or high quality meat when you need to feed a large family on a shoe string budget. Tell them the facts of a balanced diet all you want, does not mean they can afford one. If they cannot afford one, then who else will pay for one for them?

A lot of obesity today can be tied to socioeconomic problems.

Governments are very well aware of the issues, but they are allowing this industry to exist. Because money. Money is always the answer with capitalist governments.
Because nothing is fundamentally wrong with the industry selling sugary drinks. They are not forcing you to consume their sugary drinks, people are making that decision themselves. If children paid more attention to learning at school, instead of having to do so much PE, then maybe they would realise for themselves that a lot of sugary drinks are not good for their health and they would naturally force the industry to change direction. Instead when I was at school they cut the number of lessons designed to teach just that and replaced them with PE.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 53
Given how easy most the stuff at school is, it is hardly "intense mental work". And the best way I found to relax after school was to play Warcraft III custom maps.
Then I see no reason why physical education would be such a problem then. You make it sound like the army...
It doesn't matter if you like it or not, thinking your kids shouldn't do exercise is pretty limiting their development. Brains are not enough when your physique gets tired from a little required exercise here and there.
Imagine those liking PE not wanting their kids to take math classes...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 58
Imagine those liking PE not wanting their kids to take math classes...
They already are not taking maths classes... Or as good as. Which is another problem with PE at school.
Brains are not enough when your physique gets tired from a little required exercise here and there.
Children already get a lot of exercise just being at school. One of my school days had me climbing over 15 stories worth of stairs both up and down in total just to get between classes, and then there was all the standing and walking which totalled over an hour a day.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 53
Children already get a lot of exercise just being at school. One of my school days had me climbing over 15 stories worth of stairs both up and down in total just to get between classes, and then there was all the standing and walking which totalled over an hour a day.
I disagree. It's not a general thing. Your experience may be one of, let's say many, but it isn't the norm.

Level 4
In fact, there are people apparently going keto to battle diabetes:
Do you have any studies on effect of ketogenic diet on prediabetics / (type 2) diabetics (not a YouTube video+personal story)? Am curious as I have diabetes in the family.
That is for both, actually. Ketonic diet contains a lot of protein and very little carbs, meaning that it helps your body burn fat very effectively AND, at the same time, build muscle mass.
Adult male can absorb roughly 30 g of protein per meal, and muscle-building diets are advised to have about a gram per pound of body mass of protein a day. Any excess protein will be just that, excess. Not to even begin with how we're on the wrong kind of protein: whey with casein for slow-release has proven most ideal.

Level 10
Do you have any studies on effect of ketogenic diet on prediabetics / (type 2) diabetics (not a YouTube video+personal story)? Am curious as I have diabetes in the family.
The point WAS the personal story there. And it does explain it very well - keto diet doesn't raise blood sugar level, like carb diet does. And at the same time, it supplies you with plenty of energy and nutrients to satiate you.

Adult male can absorb roughly 30 g of protein per meal, and muscle-building diets are advised to have about a gram per pound of body mass of protein a day. Any excess protein will be just that, excess. Not to even begin with how we're on the wrong kind of protein: whey with casein for slow-release has proven most ideal.
First of all, the "recommended" intake varies hugely based on individual person's organism, physique, age, gender, health and amount of daily physical exercise. You can't just throw 1 number for "adult male". There are lots of other factors.

Secondly, yes, excess protein is stored as fat. However, that is where the physical exercise comes in - that "excess" energy is used up and isn't stored. Also, ketonic diet is highly satiating, unlike high carb diets. Which is why you eat less, too. Which is why it's unlikely you will be getting excess protein unless you use supplements.

As for whey - it's just broken down somewhat faster, supposedly. But whey protein is primarily consumed, today, from whey protein shakes, though it's also contained in dairy products (that keto diet includes anyways). And protein shakes and other supplements are bad anyways, because they do not replace proper nutritious diet.

Protein shouldn't come from any one source, but from multiple sources. Which keto diet provides plenty. On top of them being very nutritious, in general.

I was referring to human body fat as broken down by its owner's metabolism. It is a storage of energy after all and has to be converted for your body to get rid of it. That process puts strain on the human body which can lead to or contribute towards health problems in some people.
Sure it puts strain on the human body. But that is not going to damage your body unless you overdo it. And it all works towards making your body healthier.

Let us not forget it also releases any stored harmful chemicals that the body then also has to deal with, such as those you pick up from eating food or pollution in the environment.
And your body is perfectly capable of dealing with that. Diet helps shed pounds, release toxins and reduce oxidative stress

No it does not. I hated PE (Physical Education) at school and so did other family members of mine. In fact, the most stressful time I had at school was during PE. Would take a math exam over it any day. Now that I am an adult it is not something I would want any of my children to do for sure.
Maybe you did not like it. So what? That doesn't disprove the health benefits of physical exercise.

Next to the number of days of school children lost due to injuries sustained from doing PE (myself included) there was also a noticeable reduction in performance immediately after PE. There is no way you can expect someone to perform as well in an exam straight, or even later in the day, after having to run around a football (soccer) field for an hour. This is not factoring the long term health problems it has caused some individuals.
Physical exercise classes are not army training. If there is any danger of injury, it's very low. Personally, I have never heard of kids getting injured, other than a few scrapes or cuts when playing outside. Which is nothing bad. It is norma

Also, again, physical exercise and mental exercise are different. And as the source states previously - physical exercise helps to REDUCE stress. Maybe you, yourself, did not like these lessons and thus, felt stressed during them. But that is not the problem of the physical exercise itself.

They go to school to learn knowledge. Growing as people is meant to be a product of that.
Knowledge, yes. But as stated before, physical development CANNOT be neglected. And kids do need a stress relieve every once in a while

Or more like, they are not very active at home because they were very active at school and are tired out from the PE they had to do on top of all the walking between the class rooms and during lunch. This already totals over an hour a day of climbing stairs and walking before the PE.
Walking between classes and climbing stairs while at school is not exercise. And it's definitely not enough if you spend most of the time sitting on your arse in class. Sorry but this statement - walking between classes or climbing stairs at school is workout - is laughable.

Oh indeed, you spent most of the time at school sitting, and you spend more time sitting at home. That is surely healthy... Especially considering, that the time spent sitting at computer could be spent socializing with kids, and playing outside.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I couldn't hold it back here.

Way of reducing stress is to change your activity. If you were doing mental work before, it is good to change that up with physical work. Which is why PE lessions are, in fact, good. Regardless of whether you personally liked them, or not.

Which is nothing as long as people do not eat excessively, or more importantly eat a balanced diet.
Except a balanced diet does NOT contain added sugar. You can live off a ketogenic diet, but you cannot live off of sugar. Sugar is, for the most part, useless because it has no nutritional value. Which is why it is (one of) the primary cause for obesity (and other health problems).

Also that still is not an actual modern solution, like an injection or pill, or even genetic modification that fixes it so your body automatically rejects excess sugar, passing it harmlessly. Certainly would not be called ethical currently.
Injections, pills, and similar "modern solutions" are far more harmful to your body than a good healthy diet and proper physical workout.

If anything people are moving away from "ketogenic" diets due to socioeconomic problems.
Except keto diet is the most googled diet in the recent years, and is only gaining popularity.

Generally, your arguments are seemingly based on nothing more than your own personal distaste of physical exercise, to the point, that you reject common sense and facts listed in the sources.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 58
Sure it puts strain on the human body. But that is not going to damage your body unless you overdo it. And it all works towards making your body healthier.
Depends on the person. Some people are better at breaking down their body fats than others. Cannot just generalise it to everyone.
Maybe you did not like it. So what? That doesn't disprove the health benefits of physical exercise.
Neither does the health benefits disprove any reduction in academic performance at schools.
Physical exercise classes are not army training. If there is any danger of injury, it's very low. Personally, I have never heard of kids getting injured, other than a few scrapes or cuts when playing outside. Which is nothing bad. It is norma
While I was at school a kid was impaled by a javelin doing PE. People spraining/breaking their wrists and getting fairly nasty cuts was common. I am pretty sure there were a few broken fingers as well. It was also common for children to be physically sick during or shortly after doing PE, likely due to their bodies being poisoned by all the biproducts involved with exercise.

As for myself, on top of the migraines I would occasionally get from doing PE I also was knocked out by hitting my head which cost a day from school. Less major injuries include foot long gashes on my legs as well as many scrapped knees, elbows and hands.

As for family members, one ended up with a cracked shin bone from PE that still has not healed many years later.
Knowledge, yes. But as stated before, physical development CANNOT be neglected. And kids do need a stress relieve every once in a while
Kids have video games and on demand streaming for stress relief now. The days of them kicking balls for that should be long gone.

Still most of the kids went off to do that sort of thing after school anyway which again raises the question why schools even have PE since the kids get more than enough exercise anyway. And yes, these kids that did extra exercise after school were overweight so lack of exercise has nothing to do with it and again it falls most likely to bad diet.

Walking between classes and climbing stairs while at school is not exercise. And it's definitely not enough if you spend most of the time sitting on your arse in class. Sorry but this statement - walking between classes or climbing stairs at school is workout - is laughable.
It is more than enough if you have a healthy diet.
Oh indeed, you spent most of the time at school sitting, and you spend more time sitting at home. That is surely healthy... Especially considering, that the time spent sitting at computer could be spent socializing with kids, and playing outside.
Yet despite this I was what could be considered underweight for most of my time at school. And this included me eating a lot of bread, chocolate, meat and rice. I literally used to come home from school and eat an entire chocolate bar before dinner and then have some treats afterwards. Despite this when I finished school I was so thin it looked like I was starved lol.

Except why play outside when you can play on a computer? Far more fun.
Way of reducing stress is to change your activity. If you were doing mental work before, it is good to change that up with physical work. Which is why PE lessions are, in fact, good. Regardless of whether you personally liked them, or not.
Children should not be getting stressed from their lessons anyway. They are hardly being taught abstract mathematics or something actually difficult to understand. Or maybe they should be more stressed since then maybe they would bother learning the stuff rather than getting mediocre marks in exams for some reason, the same exams I was getting close to 100%. They could name all the football players of their favourite teams, kick a ball a lot further than me but get 30-40% less total than me in most exams.

This is why I would go as far as to say PE needs to be abolished and replaced with extra academic lessons.
Except a balanced diet does NOT contain added sugar. You can live off a ketogenic diet, but you cannot live off of sugar. Sugar is, for the most part, useless because it has no nutritional value. Which is why it is (one of) the primary cause for obesity (and other health problems).
A balanced diet can contain added sugar since the presence of added sugar does not make it any less balanced. People would naturally eat less in total with a balanced diet, and so consume less food with added sugar anyway.

Injections, pills, and similar "modern solutions" are far more harmful to your body than a good healthy diet and proper physical workout.
I already explained why...

Except keto diet is the most googled diet in the recent years, and is only gaining popularity.
Being popular on google search trends does not make something any good. Only that it is popular.
Generally, your arguments are seemingly based on nothing more than your own personal distaste of physical exercise, to the point, that you reject common sense and facts listed in the sources.
Most of the linked websites do not sound like trustworthy or reliable sources.

The Harvard one also proves that "added sugar" is generally not a problem in the food industry as 42.2% of the average in take is Soda/energy/sports drinks. That is most of a persons added sugar just from that one source. There is absolutely no need to remove added sugar from anything else since just encouraging people to avoid that entirely optional section would reduce their added sugar intake by nearly half and likely push it well below unhealthy levels. Of course the data is from 2005/2006 so might not be entirely relevant anymore but still.

It also does not prove that high sugar alone is the cause for heart disease, only that people who's diet contains a lot of added sugar have a higher chance of dying from heart disease. People with such a diet are unlikely to have a balanced diet and as such the increase in risk of dying from heart disease
might be as a result of what they are not eating rather than what they are. It is possible that if they were eating more meat and vegetables it might significantly reduce the risk even with the same amount of sugar in total, but that was not what was researched.

First of all, the "recommended" intake varies hugely based on individual person's organism, physique, age, gender, health and amount of daily physical exercise. You can't just throw 1 number for "adult male". There are lots of other factors.
Actually this is based off of the amount of lean body mass a person has. You need a certain amount of proteins to maintain your current muscle mass, so the formula is actually rather simple. Something I have used extensively while dieting and training heavy resistance training: TDEE Calculator: Learn Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

Secondly, yes, excess protein is stored as fat.
Excess energy (calories) is stored as fat, excess protein while maintaining a caloric deficit is simply discarded of. All forms of energy/calories is stored as fat if you're in a huge caloric surplus without doing resistance training.

Protein shouldn't come from any one source, but from multiple sources. Which keto diet provides plenty.
Then you're doing keto wrong, like pretty much everyone who does it. Keto is mainly used as a very effective way to lose excess storages of water weight in your body. A proper keto diet should consist of ridiculous amounts of fat vs carbs and proteins, and is not viable for a healthy and consistent diet.

This is just plain wrong. Sugar does indeed have nutritional value, but not the kind of nutrition that will keep you alive very long. And it will completely mess up your blood sugar and insulin levels should you try to live off of sugar entirely. Sugar is however quite important to your body and muscle growth. All the carbs you eat will be converted to glucose after you eat it. When blood sugar rises the pancreas will produce insulin, which is a natural growth hormone. It's not without reason that people like Jay Cutler and Ronnie Coleman not only inject themselves with huge amounts of questionable liquids, but they also inject pure insulin. That's not healthy of course, but sugar is detrimental to your growth your whole life.

That's a huge generalization, and a pretty uninformed statement. It all depends, and some supplements that you rarely get from diet are 100% safe to get artificially. There's no evidence that suggests you're more healthy if you eat oranges rather than taking a vitamin C supplement.

It's a fad, gaining traction among others who listens to "health gurus" and similar pseudo-bullshit.

The recipe is super simple;

Want to lose weight? Eat at a 500 caloric deficit (+/- 200 calories).
Want to gain muscle? Resistance training/progressive overload and eat at a 300 caloric surplus with enough proteins.
Want to maintain your current weight and body composition? Eat at your exact TDEE.

As for your macro nutrients, they are optimal at 40/40/20, meaning 40% carbs, 40% proteins and 20% healthy fats.

Your sources of carbs, proteins and fats are also important, but you can't go wrong with stuff like pastas, poultry, rice, vegetables and so on.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 53
Except why play outside when you can play on a computer? Far more fun.
To some maybe... I've enjoyed my childhood outside playing with other kids much more than playing video games or watching cartoons. Of the last two, the latter actually had some use->learning English.
Or maybe they should be more stressed since then maybe they would bother learning the stuff rather than getting mediocre marks in exams for some reason, the same exams I was getting close to 100%. They could name all the football players of their favourite teams, kick a ball a lot further than me but get 30-40% less total than me in most exams.

This is why I would go as far as to say PE needs to be abolished and replaced with extra academic lessons.
Not everybody is made for learning hard sciences. Most have an affinity to physical practice. Humans didn't evolve as book worms you know. They were hunter-gatherers. With the advent of agriculture, still, it did not mean that the use of muscles wasn't needed anymore, on the contrary it was, but less often, so that seeds would be sowed and then grains, vegetables and fruits harvested.
Don't worry. If you want to be a robot, your dream might come true soon and atrophy would not be a problem anymore.