• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

how can i get opengl working in windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
where have you been when older versions of windows was present? i have used windows since winows 3.1(also used version 3.0 but never had that myself). i know what i am talking about. ever since windows 95, direct draw have been software rendered. it have never spoken with the gpu directly unlike 3dfx, opengl and direct 3d. direct draw used the cpu only so how well direct draw based games could run depended on the cpu. some games managed to greatly improve software rendering but it required a really powerful cpu. no versions of doom 3 or quake 4 works for more than a few minutes in windows 10. they work perfectly in windows 8.1.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
where have you been when older versions of windows was present? [...]
On IBM/PC compatible computers, I was probably using MS-DOS 3.2 with all kinds of text mode accelerators (yay! zeno!) and, later, many flavors of built-in / installable VESA drivers (1.x, 2.0, VBE/AF), plus Scitech Nucleus.

I was also using the GEM/3 Desktop.

...and fyi I have also been using Windows, starting with v3.0

Regarding 2D 'acceleration' on Windows, ever heard of WinG on Windows 3.1x and W9x?
WinG - Wikipedia
:wink:

[...] i know what i am talking about. [...]
:hohum:

[...] ever since windows 95, direct draw have been software rendered. it have never spoken with the gpu directly unlike 3dfx, opengl and direct 3d. direct draw used the cpu only so how well direct draw based games could run depended on the cpu.. [...]
Only if your graphic card from the early/mid-1990s did not even support blitting, I would guess.

Please read the stuff on Wikipedia about it, from my previous post.

Again, please post your personal views regarding DirectDraw and/or Direct3D to Microsoft. And please provide us a link in this thread.

[...] some games managed to greatly improve software rendering but it required a really powerful cpu [...]
Oucast immediately comes to mind here (yay! voxels!)
:cute:

no versions of doom 3 or quake 4 works for more than a few minutes in windows 10. they work perfectly in windows 8.1.
For Doom 3 and Quake 4 support, please open another thread. Please create one thread per game and per PC you have trouble running the game on.

This thread is about your personal belief that OpenGL is not supported in Windows 10.
Well, since it is supported in Windows 10, then it means the case is solved.

Again, if you have issues with running some of your video games in Windows 10 for whatever reason, then I suggest that you open other threads in the Computer Tech sub-forum. Again, please create one thread per game and per PC you have trouble running the game on.

the topic you linked is about securom which is not used by ghost master.
How do you know that Ghost Master does not use SecuROM?
What does your copy of Ghost Master use?

Again, the topic I linked to earlier proves that you were made aware since June 7, 2016 that some copy protections, including SecuROM, are not supported by Windows 10

Too bad that you do not try to help Dr Super Good (nor any of us) by helping yourself...

:ogre_hurrhurr:
[...] the people on the ghost master forum could not help me with ghost master. [...]

♫ When there's something strange
in your Ghost Master
who you gonna call?
GoG.com

(alas, no more savings - too bad)

i updated drivers on the laptop and tried to force ghost master to run in direct 3d but it does not seem to support direct 3d at all.
How did you try to run Ghost Master in D3D mode?

the link was a dead end with no actual downloads.
Which link?

i am not a programmer so i can not fix a software problem that requires emulators.
Who is talking about that?

i have been looking around and i am not the only person unable to get opengl working in windows 10.
not likely. many peopøe have reported issues with opengl in windows 10. they all use opengl.
Please post the relevant links in this thread

Post your pc specs. What cpu, gpu, what windows 10 build. If you dont know how to look it up then google it.
[...]

Run this program:
Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 17.0.8.2
Then reinstall your drivers.

And type up a decent response for god's sake. All we got from you until now is a one shit sentence post.
Please do what eejin said

Again, you say you are asking for help with a specific operating system, yet you keep failing to mention what Windows 10 build(s) you are using, despite being asked several times to do so, among many other things.

Please use the Winver command for that.

it is likely on the list of removed features but that is too long for me to read.
Please use the search feature on that page, by typing the word 'opengl'. And please tell us the results

1. [...]
  2. Update OS. Make sure Windows 10 has all updates installed.
  3. Uninstall the standard graphic driver Windows 10 installed. This is usually buggy or incomplete.
  4. Download and install the latest driver appropriate for your generic graphic card. This will install both OpenGL and Vulkan if the card support it. All modern cards from AMD and NVidia support advanced versions of both.
  5. Enjoy OpenGL. Enjoy Vulkan.
[...]
Please do what Dr Super Good said

according to my research opengl stopped working as part of the fall creators update. i am not sure if believe that or not but it could be a clue to fixing the problem. graphics is way beyond my knowledge however.
Please post your research in this thread

@andreasaspenberg: Please install and run OpenGL Extensions Viewer, to check whether or not OpenGL works properly on your PC:

OpenGL Extensions Viewer | realtech VR

Here you go, but you will have to experiment yourself:
VOGONS • View topic - The Wrapper Collection Project
Index of /wrappers/files
Please do what I said

You don't deserve to play games or own a computer.
Please try to take HappyTauren's words into account.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] my stinking laptop broke down(it does smell bad from time to time).
Maybe this guy could help?

mamadou.jpg

Reactions: Rem

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
ever since windows 95, direct draw have been software rendered.
Actually it was only with Windows Vista that it had to be software rendered because the windowing system it uses no longer supported the sort of operations DirectDraw needed. Some hardware support still exists since Windows 7, but only for the very most basic of operations, with software being used for most things.

Of course I could be wrong. In which case you would link to a credible article stating otherwise. Yes I learned after the time of DirectDraw so I do not know it perfectly. However I thought you were not a software developer so I am not sure if you truly know how DirectDraw worked and works now.
direct draw used the cpu only so how well direct draw based games could run depended on the cpu.
Like all old Microsoft APIs, both Direct3D and DirectDraw had a built in software emulator. Since full hardware DirectDraw was only supported by very old and special graphic accelerators, it was mostly software emulated. Similar to how early Direct3D was also mostly software emulated. People at the time did not care as the processor of next year was 50% faster than this years.
no versions of doom 3 or quake 4 works for more than a few minutes in windows 10. they work perfectly in windows 8.1.
Doom 3 uses Direct3D 8 I think. It was pretty cutting edge at its time, offering high quality real time shadows using some complex system before they were possible like they are now. Windows 10 has compatibility problems with Direct3D8, which is why Warcraft III performed like rubbish when using that until the update that moved it to link to Direct3D9.
they work perfectly in windows 8.1.
So did Warcraft III.

Level 21
warcraft 3 works perfectly in windows 10. doom 3 and quake 4 uses opengl(same engine, id tech 4). direct 3d never had software based 3d. direct draw never had hardware based 3d. for hardware based 3d there was direct 3d or 3dfx glide. when i upgraded my graphics card to handle doom 3 and quake 4(replaced it technically) my monitor was too old to handle direct 3d generated from the new card. it went black when i ran direct 3d based games but doom 3, quake 4 and ghost master worked perfectly because they use opengl. i replaced my monitor and i got pictures from direct 3d games as well. the old monitor was from maybe 1995.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
direct 3d never had software based 3d.
Microsoft says otherwise...

Play close attention to the part that says hardware acceleration support is optional for a Direct3D device. Also notice the part that referes to the "reference device" which is a pure software based Direct 3D device built by Microsoft and intended for driver verification purposes. The reference device is pure software and has all Direct3D 9 features.

Although the reference device did used to work, it no longer is supported as Direct3D 9 support is gone. Much like most of the debugging tools for Direct3D9, it has been lost to time.
for hardware based 3d there was direct 3d or 3dfx glide.
And OpenGL.
when i upgraded my graphics card to handle doom 3 and quake 4(replaced it technically) my monitor was too old to handle direct 3d generated from the new card
Sounds more like your monitor did not support the display format. Monitors are not even aware what is producing the graphics, only if they are a supported output format. Supported output formats are based on the number of scan lines per frame, scan line length and number of frames per second.
i replaced my monitor and i got pictures from direct 3d games as well.
I am guessing Direct3D defaulted to an unsupported frame rate or frame size.
the old monitor was from maybe 1995.
Old monitors from then had problem with higher resolution or refresh rate output formats.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] Since full hardware DirectDraw was only supported by very old and special graphic accelerators, it was mostly software emulated. Similar to how early Direct3D was also mostly software emulated. [...]
Not too old graphic accelerators / cards, I would say. Any kind of acceleration support on a Cirrus Logic CL-GD5430 from 1994 was very limited, even by the mid 1990s standards (but again, it was a very old graphics card, to begin with)
Cirrus Logic - Graphics history - Wikipedia

Full DirectDraw hardware acceleration did not require any special graphic accelerators; it required specific ones. The fact was simply that back then, not all of the 2D accelerator functions of the time were available in all graphic cards / chipsets. For example, an S3 Virge DX had iirc no Stretching and Effects caps at all, and had only a limited number of Color Key caps (=> limited hardware overlay support). Likewise, hardware support for FourCC codes was very limited, too (for example, no built-in support for YV12)
FAQ YV12 - Avisynth wiki

Moreover, such graphic cards could get crippled *or not* when one tried to later use them on NT-based OSes like Windows 2000. The reason was because of poor (or not) driver support on such OSes. For example on one hand, a Matrox Millenium card could become kind of useless on Windows 2000. But on the other hand, the stock driver available in Windows 2000 for S3 Virge DX cards was actually a little bit *better* imho than the official downloadable W9x driver for 16-bit rendering (565 instead of 5551). Go figure...

If there was no 3D hardware support for something, then either the program did not run at all, or there were severe visual artifacts on screen. For example, unsupported hardware transparencies / blending often led to black squares around textures (generally seen with flare effects, when using S3 Virge DX cards with games from the mid-late 1990s)

Doom 3 uses Direct3D 8 I think. It was pretty cutting edge at its time, offering high quality real time shadows using some complex system before they were possible like they are now. [...]
I would have said OpenGL with shading language support. ID Software / John Carmack is/was an OpenGL evangelist.

The game's 3D engine was so cutting edge back then, that ID Software had decided to delay the commercial release of Doom 3 by one year, iirc.

warcraft 3 works perfectly in windows 10.
It works better on modern OSes (from Vista onwards) since Patch 1.27a. But the FMV issue is yet to be solved afaik.

direct 3d never had software based 3d.

Again:

DX7 Control Panel - Direct3D.jpg

By disabling hardware 3D acceleration, one can use the reference software renderer.
Not all games like this. Use with caution.

direct draw never had hardware based 3d.
Who said it had?

But one must also keep in mind that disabling DirectDraw hardware acceleration also disables Direct3D hardware acceleration. I am guessing this is because the 3D / 3DDevice caps are part of DirectDraw, and not of Direct3D on OSes up to and including Windows XP. Weird, huh?

Although the reference device did used to work, it no longer is supported as Direct3D 9 support is gone. Much like most of the debugging tools for Direct3D9, it has been lost to time.

*cough!* *cough!*

Lost and found:
Download DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime from Official Microsoft Download Center
... yet again.

:wink:

And OpenGL.
... and ATI 3DCIF

- VOGONS Vintage Driver Library
- Index of /wrappers/files/3DCIF

... and maybe others:
VOGONS • View topic - Proprietary 3D API's

rotfl, we are so very much off-topic
:xxd:

Again, the thread's subject matter has been solved already.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
diabling hardware acceleration disabled direct 3d completely. it could be disabled from within older versions of dxdiag but newer versions does not have that option. direct draw as well could be disabled.
As I have written already:
- by disabling hardware 3D acceleration, one can use the reference software renderer. Not all games like this. Use with caution.
- one must also keep in mind that disabling DirectDraw hardware acceleration also disables Direct3D hardware acceleration. I am guessing this is because the 3D / 3DDevice caps are part of DirectDraw, and not of Direct3D on OSes up to and including Windows XP.

I believe that the DirectX Control Panel is more powerful than the option to enable / disable 2D/3D acceleration from Dxdiag.

Oh btw, congratulations on finally admitting there is DirectDraw acceleration, and that such acceleration can be (de)activated at will for 2D and 3D rendering.

:grin:

i want to find a solution for doom 3 and quake 4.
You already know what you have to do in order to get technical support for these games, on your laptop which does smell bad from time to time.

... but remember, we have to make this thread 40 pages long. Therefore, I am counting on you to achieve this goal.

Last edited:
Level 21
no no no. diabling direct 3d disabled all games requiring it. direct draw could at least in some versions be disabled but doing so disabled direct 3d as well. think there might also have been versions where direct draw could be disabled without disabling direct 3d but i am not sure about that. what do i have to do to get doom 3 and quake 4 working?

pyf

pyf

Level 32
diabling direct 3d disabled all games requiring it. direct draw could at least in some versions be disabled but doing so disabled direct 3d as well. [...]
This is what I told you earlier.

Again, not all games like this. Regarding 3D accelerated games, some will run only on the Direct3D HAL.
Again, use with caution.

[...] think there might also have been versions where direct draw could be disabled without disabling direct 3d but i am not sure about that. [...]
On OSes up to and including Windows XP, I say no.

[...] what do i have to do to get doom 3 and quake 4 working?
You have to do what you are being told to do.

Running software on a laptop which does not smell bad from time to time maybe could help, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.