• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How about some magic(or no magic)

Trick or Treat?Who's the best street magician?

• Criss Angel

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • David Blaine

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
the cup "trick" takes the cake as the ultimate of all time in my opinion.

I'm positive that Criss Angel uses staged audiences/plants and video editing as mentioned, and i assume a serious response from him to such a claim would be, "who is it hurting?". And honestly that's what i think is great about Criss, is that he uses technology to his advantage, and the fact that he is fooling so may people, even if he's not doing the illusion, is what magic is all about.. Fooling the audience, and video-editing and staged audiences is fair game, there's nothing to dislike about that because there's no such thing as FAKE magic!

Level 26
the cup "trick" takes the cake as the ultimate of all time in my opinion.

I'm positive that Criss Angel uses staged audiences/plants and video editing as mentioned, and i assume a serious response from him to such a claim would be, "who is it hurting?". And honestly that's what i think is great about Criss, is that he uses technology to his advantage, and the fact that he is fooling so may people, even if he's not doing the illusion, is what magic is all about.. Fooling the audience, and video-editing and staged audiences is fair game, there's nothing to dislike about that because there's no such thing as FAKE magic!
It's not hurting anyone. Moreso, it's hurting integrity. Magic is a work of art, making things more complex than they really are. When you figure out a real magic trick, where the magician really does mystify his audience, you think, "gee, it must have taken a real genius to think that up. someone who can think outside the box". When you realize something is video edited, and the audience that acts surprised is just a bunch of plants, well, any idiot can do that.

Would you rather have the painting, or a photo of it?

What is it about magic tricks that can amaze an audience much more than special effects can?

Level 26
Well it's obvious to me Criss uses those techniques.. It may not be so obvious to others, and that's where i'm coming from. But that's doesn't mean his tricks don't amaze me.

Realism.
Why would you be amazed by his tricks if you're a person who can clearly see the lack of innovation in his tricks? Would you support an advertisement of which uses fake testimonials from people who didn't really try out the product? It'd be like supporting an artist who you know stole the picture from another guy. If you know any idiot can do the things Criss Angel does, why would you still hold him in such high esteem?

Level 9
I didn't mean to imply all of his tricks. Though i don't have a TV anymore, i'm sure even still some of them would be fascinating to watch.

I didn't have to buy or do anything extra in order to watch his show.. so why not watch it? It's not crystal to anyone when and where he is using editing, it's something one sort of realizes after watching it for awhile.. Which means you've watched his shows just as much or even more than myself! haha.. And who else is doing what he's doing? What show do they have? Where is their media for me to freely watch?

Your final comment is attacking his character and not his tricks. I hold his nature of using technology, or any means to fool people as the essence of magic in high regard strictly for the reason that i knew people would be mad at him for using video-editing, etc.. Again, it is not always clear when he has employed low-quality trickery, like a fake test-subject, but it's safe to assume he does it a lot. And what's the fun in watching if you're going to keep doubt on the forefront of your mind when you know it to be an illusion in the first place?
As for his character, he is a good showman in the way that he is not afraid to express himself. And that's what makes the $$ is a good show. You could have a band with awesome music but if you don't please the crowd with a show than you'll fail in the business. You could have crappy music with an awesome show and you'd be making your way up the ladder.
There doesn't exist one person who appeals to everyone.

And for the record, i never said his tricks were not innovative. Of course you have the redundant or even common tricks but how else is he going to make a TV series without them? If you think it's easy to come up with a mystifying trick, do it, because as you said, anyone can!

Level 26
I didn't mean to imply all of his tricks. Though i don't have a TV anymore, i'm sure even still some of them would be fascinating to watch.
Guess so.
I didn't have to buy or do anything extra in order to watch his show.. so why not watch it? It's not crystal to anyone when and where he is using editing, it's something one sort of realizes after watching it for awhile.. Which means you've watched his shows just as much or even more than myself! haha..
1. Unrelated.
2. Whoa, you talk about how I insult his character instead of his tricks, and you bring up something like this? Interesting...
And who else is doing what he's doing? What show do they have? Where is their media for me to freely watch?
Am I saying he's a bad entertainer? No. I'm saying he's a bad magician.
Your final comment is attacking his character and not his tricks. I hold his nature of using technology, or any means to fool people as the essence of magic in high regard strictly for the reason that i knew people would be mad at him for using video-editing, etc..
So you appreciate him because other people won't?
Again, it is not always clear when he has employed low-quality trickery, like a fake test-subject, but it's safe to assume he does it a lot. And what's the fun in watching if you're going to keep doubt on the forefront of your mind when you know it to be an illusion in the first place?
To "keep doubt on the forefront of your mind" is not exactly voluntary. You can't force yourself ignorant to the bullshit you see in shows like Mindfreak or Man vs Wild. And why would you?
As for his character, he is a good showman in the way that he is not afraid to express himself. And that's what makes the $$ is a good show. You could have a band with awesome music but if you don't please the crowd with a show than you'll fail in the business. You could have crappy music with an awesome show and you'd be making your way up the ladder.
There doesn't exist one person who appeals to everyone.
Never said otherwise.
And for the record, i never said his tricks were not innovative. Of course you have the redundant or even common tricks but how else is he going to make a TV series without them? If you think it's easy to come up with a mystifying trick, do it, because as you said, anyone can!
You're mixing the wires. I never said any idiot could come up with innovated tricks, I said any idiot can come up with the tricks Criss Angel does, for the most part. Hell, this qualifies.

Level 9
"So you appreciate him because other people won't?"

Not "him" and not because other people "won't". I simply made up my mind that using "tricks" to trick people is legitamate in the business of magic. And i imagine there are some people who do not appreciate such trickery if they were ever to find out, deeming it "fake" or lack-luster or anything to that sort. And i concluded that such people don't know what they're talking about.

The difference between those Youtube skits and Chriss Angel's TV series is a comedy factor. One is meant to make the viewer laugh, the other is to make the viewer stupified.
Everything everyone knows was learned from someone who was taught what they know from somebody else. There's really nothing which is original if one were to get analytical.

Level 27
Shame on you MySpaceBarBroke, the correct way to respond is this:
I'm positive that Criss Angel uses staged audiences/plants and video editing as mentioned, and i assume a serious response from him to such a claim would be, "who is it hurting?".
It doesn't matter that it's not hurting anyone.
And honestly that's what i think is great about Criss, is that he uses technology to his advantage, and the fact that he is fooling so may people, even if he's not doing the illusion, is what magic is all about..
No, the purpose of magic shows is to do something that nobody can explain, ever wonder why "A magician never reveals his secrets."?
Fooling the audience, and video-editing and staged audiences is fair game, there's nothing to dislike about that because there's no such thing as FAKE magic!
"Fake magic" is when your audience does know how you do your "magic".
When people know how the "magic" is done, it is no longer magic.
Since it is known how he does his "magic", it is not magic at all.

People like magic because they can't explain it. Hence the term "magic".

EDIT:
Everything everyone knows was learned from someone who was taught what they know from somebody else. There's really nothing which is original if one were to get analytical.
No, because people have this thing called "imagination". They imagine things that their "teachers" never thought of. I come to conclusions very often, only to find that someone else has already thought of that and I was right all along. I came up with the idea of base numbers before anyone or anything taught it to me.

Level 26
"So you appreciate him because other people won't?"

Not "him" and not because other people "won't". I simply made up my mind that using "tricks" to trick people is legitamate in the business of magic.
And i imagine there are some people who do not appreciate such trickery if they were ever to find out, deeming it "fake" or lack-luster or anything to that sort. And i concluded that such people don't know what they're talking about.
To this I refer to Man vs Wild, of which a man tries to survive in many harsh conditions, when, in reality, he eats five course meals with his staff in the middle of the shows, and sleeps at hotels. If I were to be against that, would I not know what I was talking about?
The difference between those Youtube skits and Chriss Angel's TV series is a comedy factor. One is meant to make the viewer laugh, the other is to make the viewer stupified.
Are you implying that that's the only difference? If so, then the David Blaine impersonator is just as much a magician as Criss Angel, correct?
Yes, there is. Of the 26 letters in the alphabet, you can make an infinite number of words. Of the limited number of elements, you can make an unlimited number of compounds. Originality is not what something is made up of, but how it's made.

Level 1
ive been playing pickles since forever, though with lorewyn its a nice time to make a tribal deck, im trying for faeries but noone at my local watering hole has and scion of oonas in the trade fodder

Level 8
can someone teach me the trick of walk on water? jajaja... well, at least tell me where is the trick, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.