1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Altered Melee] Hour of the Scourge - Andorhal

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by izaiphovias, Dec 9, 2016.

?

Next playable faction should be?

1. Burning Legion

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Sha'tar / Aldor (Draenei)

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Dwarves

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. Alliance (Humans, Dwarves and Night Elves)

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. Blood Elves

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  6. Horde (Orcs, Trolls, Tauren)

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. izaiphovias

izaiphovias

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

Hand of Protection (the cripple ability) is supposed to be used on allies to turn them invulnerable. It shouldn't be possible to use it on enemies, I'll have to take a look on that.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Edit:

Since I did not get any more feedback, I guessed the map was ready and it has been officially posted: Hour of the Scourge - Andorhal

2. Even

Even

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wait, how do we get the skeletons to be archers again? Don't we need to do the ability near a Graveyard, or what?

3. Jampion

Jampion

JASS Reviewer

Resources:
    Resources:
    I will give some feedback about the Argent Crusade. I have played a bit with them (did not try the other races yet) and think they have some pretty nice units.

I did take a good look at balancing and here is my opinion:
    Argent Crusade:

For balancing I will compare the units to standard warcraft 3 units.

Units:

Crusader: a bit stronger than footmen, especially with upgrades. I like it, because I think that otherwise footmen/crusader would be useless late game.
    However I think that Defend is overpowered like in normal warcraft 3. ;)

Squire: hard to tell, it's a really squishy unit (300 hp) for basically the same price as a rifleman.
    Has increased utility though and high damage.
    In general I think that this unit is rather weak, similar to troll berserkers.

Rifleman voice sounds weird on him. :confused:

Templar: very high hp (similar to tauren), very high armor (similar to knight) with upgraded Kodo aura. Considering all of this the unit might sound too strong, but since the aura gives no benefit once you have more of these units I think it's ok.

Ballista: In general I do not like the idea of giving nuking abilities to units, especially against heroes. I think here it's fine though. The damage is low enough so you need a lot of them to be effective against heroes and the cooldown is high enough that you really need to choose you target wisely.

Hippogryph: same as in normal warcraft

Strider: basically as strong as a night elf archer, but costs 100 gold and 1 supply more

Strider + Hippogryph: 410 gold, more than one frost wyrm, but only 30 damage
    Similar problem like Hippogryph riders in normal warcraft 3: very expensive unit with low damage. I think the idea of making a 3 supply unit as rider is very good, because this can increase the damage of the combined unit as well.

Argent Hawk: Probably best against casters, because of damage/attack type and possiblity to get fast to them. The teleport ability is very neat. Definitely a very unique and interesting unit.
    The Argent Hawk does not teleport to the target, if the light bolt kills the target. Looking at your triggers I think you can solve it by setting damage to 0 in the spell and dealing the damage in the teleportation trigger.

Cleric: I like the addition of a non-combat unit. The low hp make him really dangerous to use in combat. I think it's just worse compared to priests. With priests' heal you already have a very cost efficient heal. Good to restore mana though.

Priest: I think it would be a good idea to remove the heal from the priest to have a more important role for the cleric (my favourite unit of this race) and to reduce the number of autocast abilties on the priest.

Judicator: With mana shield this unit has up to 1550 hp, but is next useless if using mana only defensively. His abilities are very strong against heroes, because he forces enemy heroes to stay in the back. I think that he is too cheap in supply, because a higher supply cost and his overall weakness in normal combat could compensate for his strength against heroes.
    He is very different from other units in warcraft 3, which I like very much.
    The description of his holy weapons ability says spear even though he wields a hammer. Also his weapon sound sounds more like a sword.

Heroes:

Some of your heroes are very strong. I don't know, if this is intended, but I often feel like if heroes are to strong units become very weak and close to useless compared to them.

I like the design choice of having stronger roles (strength heroes more hp, intelligence heroes less hp), but I think this needs some tweaks. If strength heroes are far superior in combat and tanking, intelligence heroes should have better abilties.

Paladin:
    Smite is very strong. 5 second stun on heroes is devastating.
    Resurrection states the hotkey as Q, but is E.
    Divinity Aura is very overpowered. It heals more than 20 hit points! on a level 1 highlord per second.
    I like the combo of beacon of hope and flash of light.
    This is probably my favourite hero, because he is no hero who has brute force, but nice support abilities that can be very useful if used properly.

Lord Commander:
    Mighty strike is very strong. It only costs 80 mana deals damage like a coil and is aoe.
    Sundering Strike is too strong. It has 5 seconds cooldown, is extremelly mana efficient and it will make enemy ground units useless.
    In my opinion his aoe abilties are too strong, which is the reason why I do not like this balancing-wise.
    The mighty strike ability is a cool ability though. His two buff abilties are too similar in their purpose. They are great in a fight, but are too easily countere by dispel.

Highlord:
    Very high hp even on level one.
    Crusader strike lv3 hero duration is 1.5 but should be 0.01.
    Crusader strike also gets barely a benefit from leveling up. Maybe have higher cost/cooldown on level 1 but decrease them when you level up.
    I rate this hero second from his ability design, but I think he is the most balanced one. He has an interesting mixture of different abilities. And all of them have a different purpose which is nice. The hero can be played many different ways. :)

Grand Crusader:
    He is very weak compared to the three other heroes. I think he has too many passive abilities which makes other heroes to be more fun to play.

What does blessed armor do? I thought resistant skin would make units treated as heroes when under targets allowed and duration. :confused:

I like the amount of interesting upgrades, that also affect multiple units (holy weapons, purge soul and guardian of the ancient king)

In warcraft 3 all race have some kind of home advantage (militia, burrows,...). You could add something to the Argent Crusade as well.

I hope this is somewhat comprehensible. :p

4. izaiphovias

izaiphovias

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the feedback, Jampion! I'm glad you liked it.

I've applied some changes to the map, taking into consideration what you said. I do agree about the Priest heal, however I'm struggling to come up with a useful spell to replace it, the same thing for the worker abilities.

For the workers, I am considering on giving Crusade's Conscripts some kind of Militia ability, for the Kirin'tor's Engineers something that would assist them on building with magic, for Forsaken's Damned something to do with the Grim Plague and for the Scourge I am considering spawning zombies from dead Acolytes.

I should release a new version really soon in the map section, however this thread will no longer be updated.
    (link to the map page in the maps section in my signature)

5. KJmaster208

KJmaster208

Resources:
    Resources:
    there's any news for the new AI?

6. izaiphovias

izaiphovias

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Since I'm still tweaking the factions, the AI will have to wait. The map does however allow you to add normal AI (human, night elves, orcs and undead) players for testing.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edit:

Version 2.0 under development. The plan is to make all spells vJASS, so I can easily avoid MUI issues and other bugs that are easier to detect when coding in vJASS, also it will help me clear up that absurd amount of UDGs the maps is accumulating. This is due to the fact that I plan on allowing multiple players using the same faction, this is not possible at the moment because some spells do not work as MUI.

Also, I will change the map terrain to a bigger and more concise one that also will allow up to 12 players.

At the moment I have almost all Forsaken spells migrated to vJASS. I'm having issues with a specific one that damages the target whenever the caster is damaged as long as it has the debuff up, I have no idea on how to do that since you can't detect a damage event to all units. If I get no solution I might even replace or remove the spell.