• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hosted Project of the Year 2009 (and 2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
TKoK is good, no doubt, but I kinda dislike the static programming they did.

But you like D3:WC3s gui shit splatted all over ?

And how static the coding is has nothing to do with how popular/played/good TKoK was 2008.

But you like D3:WC3s gui shit splatted all over ?
Yeah, that's bad.

And how static the coding is has nothing to do with how popular/played/good TKoK was 2008.
It is, it makes it harder to change. The coders also told something about releasing their systems officially at one day, but I kinda doubt anyone will use it, if it stays that static.

Level 8
Well they never intended to release any of the stuff they did for that map. They did it solely for it and for nothing else in mind. So in the end the static coding is a plus for them so they dont have bloated code full with unnecessary things.

In the end that means the static coding is actually a plus for that map. Anyway this is getting too offtopic. What I wanted to say is that the mods fucked it up this time...

Level 40
Ego? I just dont like the map and am voicing my opinion, Well i guess thats the hatemail.
Hmm? I wasn't even referring to most of your post, just the last line; people who post such lines ("I'm ready for the downvotes" on sites with karma, "I'm waiting for flaming" on sites without, etc) are basically saying that they know they're better than everyone else but since everyone else are idiots they'll get flamed for speaking the truth.

As for the rest of your post, just because you don't find it fun doesn't mean it isn't.

TKoK 2.XX was still in development swooping the bnet with around 10 full clans. Non stop games hosted of it. Lots of players. The fastest development a map has ever seen. Then it officially died feb 2009 and got resurrected now as 3.xx. Thats why I'm disappointed for choosing WC3:WoW that hasnt seen a release from 5(right ?) years over it...

TKoK also was not a hosted project here until a few months ago. No sense giving a HPotY award to a project that wasn't even hosted here at that time!

Rui

Rui

Level 41
The Kingdom of Kaliron should have definitely been awarded one of these. I agree with many of the arguments posted here. I spoke my thought on a private discussion, but it had no effect, as we here can see.
I have not, indeed, played all of our hosted projects; I will not oppose a refutation of my opinion because of that. However, I have a few things to say myself.
I agree that the award for Diablo III WarCraft may have been precipitated, with all due respect for its developers. Its terrain is excellent, indeed, perhaps the best I've seen for a Warcraft III playable map. However, The Kingdom of Kaliron far exceeded my expectations with this new edition 3 and I'm inclusively waiting on its next version right now; it is simply the closest you can get to a full RPG game without actually buying one. As for Diablo III WarCraft, I do not think it is a game I'd end up playing very often, even if people in the realm I play on hosted something decent for once; the map is indeed too simple.
Wc3:WoW is promising, but promises are all we get from the screenshots. It is hard to believe a project this big until we have downloaded it to our computers.

Those are my thoughts. I hope this doesn't seem like an undermining of staff coherency or relationship; they took a decision and I am against it but will respect it nevertheless. My argument has, as I've said, a weak point because I did not play every hosted project.

Level 17
We talked about this in the chat today, and i said almost exactly the same thing as what you said about diablo 3 warcraft.
I personally think that TKoK beats D3W, but it ended up with the fact that TKoK havent been a hosted project for so long in 2009, so people said that it didnt deserve the to be the hosted project of the year. But who knows, TKoK maybe win 2010? :D

Level 8
Eh, TKoK is a little too hyped as well.

Ehh? What has hype to do with it being the worthy winner of 2008 ?

@Pyre: Get your facts straight. TKoK was hives most active and biggest project of 2008. Getting hosted around start of summer 2008 and getting graveyarded start of fall 2009. I want to know how that doesnt qualify for 2008.

I'm amazed by the comments posted by most of the mods...

Level 17

@Pyre: Get your facts straight. TKoK was hives most active and biggest project of 2008. Getting hosted around start of summer 2008 and getting graveyarded start of fall 2009. I want to know how that doesnt qualify for 2008.

Im amazed how people seriously try to make the mods change their mind, it wont happen. I actually think Wc3:WoW is one of the most popular wc3 projects in all time, even if it is not really released to the public yet.
And not to mention the fact that TKoK was much different before it reached 3.0.0. I mean, at that time, it was just another warcraft 3 RPG with some epic UI. It was not the same back then.. and i know that, becouse i played that RPG myself at that time.

So both projects wins, but in different ways, and i guess they decided wc3:wow in the end..

Level 8
Im amazed how people seriously try to make the mods change their mind, it wont happen. I actually think Wc3:WoW is one of the most popular wc3 projects in all time, even if it is not really released to the public yet.
And not to mention the fact that TKoK was much different before it reached 3.0.0. I mean, at that time, it was just another warcraft 3 RPG with some epic UI. It was not the same back then.. and i know that, becouse i played that RPG myself at that time.

So both projects wins, but in different ways, and i guess they decided wc3:wow in the end..

I'm amazed how you can still compare WC3:WoW to TKoK 2.XX, I mean is there even place for such a thing...

"And not to mention the fact that TKoK was much different before it reached 3.0.0. I mean, at that time, it was just another warcraft 3 RPG with some epic UI."
And this shows how much you've played wc3 RPGs... Name a RPG that is just another warcarft 3 RPG at the level of TKoK 2.XX...

I've been on the staff since 2008 and I do not remember any Kingdom of Kaliron hosted project during that time.

At all.

Level 8
Wc3: WoW is interesting, TKoK 2.XX was meh (haven't seen 3, can't comment on that). It may have been shiny but it was repetitive and got boring rather quickly.
Sadly non of us knows how interesting Wc3:WoW is due to noone actually getting to play it... TKoK 2.XX being meh is just absurd. It being repetitive ? Are you kidding me here? I guess you haven't played 2.XX too(not only 3.XX).
Good projects are about more than cool art.
I'm out of comments...Isn't this exactly why I'm saying TKoK should've won over Wc3:WoW or D3:WoW ?
I've been on the staff since 2008 and I do not remember any Kingdom of Kaliron hosted project during that time.

At all.
Your mind seems to be failing then... Go check last page of it at the hosted projects and check the dates if you think I'm just coming up with numbers...

Level 40
Sadly non of us knows how interesting Wc3:WoW is due to noone actually getting to play it... TKoK 2.XX being meh is just absurd. It being repetitive ? Are you kidding me here? I guess you haven't played 2.XX too(not only 3.XX).
Oh no! Someone who disagrees with me, it can't be true! I cannot be wrong, they must be lying! Yes! That's the only explanation!

No, I'm not kidding. It's repetitive. I played one game with a bunch of people, finished the first few areas (the gnolls, the cave, and maybe one more... we were wandering around some desert at the end) until I got bored due to the gameplay being grinding creeps for however long I had played. I eventually left and didn't bother to save because I knew I had no interest going through it again.

Wc3:WoW released a public pre-alpha a while back (I thought this was common knowledge?) so some people got to play it. In addition, I think being a hosted project is more about the making than it is about the game at the end; hosted completed projects (and yes, this includes D3W) are to an extent just glorified map threads.

TKoK doesn't contribute something interesting to Warcraft modding the same way Wc3: WoW has, and I think that's the most important factor. As for D3W (and the 2009) award, I can't comment because the main difference for me (other than D3W's terrain being awesome, but as I said art isn't everything) was that D3W was a lot faster paced and as a result more interesting.

I'm out of comments...Isn't this exactly why I'm saying TKoK should've won over Wc3:WoW or D3:WoW ?
Cool art aside, I found TKoK to be much like any other RPG grind out there.

Level 8
Oh no! Someone who disagrees with me, it can't be true! I cannot be wrong, they must be lying! Yes! That's the only explanation!
Oh no! Pulling lame tricks to sound cool! I think I have layed down enough facts backing whatever statement I have, so in this specific situation, you are this guy described with that sentence.

No, I'm not kidding. It's repetitive. I played one game with a bunch of people, finished the first few areas (the gnolls, the cave, and maybe one more... we were wandering around some desert at the end) until I got bored due to the gameplay being grinding creeps for however long I had played. I eventually left and didn't bother to save because I knew I had no interest going through it again.
And this just shows how much you played it. Just FYI you played the first 2 zones of the game that were designed to get the player to know the game first. The actual game started right after the barrens. Too bad you are ignorant and missed that.

Wc3:WoW released a public pre-alpha a while back (I thought this was common knowledge?) so some people got to play it. In addition, I think being a hosted project is more about the making than it is about the game at the end; hosted completed projects (and yes, this includes D3W) are to an extent just glorified map threads.
Yes, I've played that alpha, do I need to comment how bad it was? Not to consider that was way before 2008 so what does it have to do with the reward?

TKoK doesn't contribute something interesting to Warcraft modding the same way Wc3: WoW has, and I think that's the most important factor.
What do the others contribute if I may know.

Cool art aside, I found TKoK to be much like any other RPG grind out there.
Already mentioned why.

Level 40
And this just shows how much you played it. Just FYI you played the first 2 zones of the game that were designed to get the player to know the game first. The actual game started right after the barrens. Too bad you are ignorant and missed that.
If the "actual game" doesn't warn me that it doesn't start until after I grind for several hours then it isn't my ignorance. In fact, if it makes me grind for several hours to have fun why would I not just go play another game which is fun from day one?

You seem to be trying to spin a major design flaw as my fault.

Level 8
If the "actual game" doesn't warn me that it doesn't start until after I grind for several hours then it isn't my ignorance. In fact, if it makes me grind for several hours to have fun why would I not just go play another game which is fun from day one?

You seem to be trying to spin a major design flaw as my fault.
Major design flaw? Getting to barrens for several hours. The more you post the more i see you are incompetent in the field we are discussing.

EDIT: Even if it takes more then an hour or 2(because of retarded players), you are still doing quests all the way to the third zone, never having to grind anything. It was designed so you get the proper level just by doing all the quests with some random killing of creeps in your way while doing so.

Go play WoW if you haven't. From what I remember all you do the first 5 game hours is killing stuff and running around. If I remember correct they are still the leading MMO out there. I guess they have a design flaw too.

YA POOT! IGNORANT! rofl.
Ohh, look another dude that just came to cheer for someone. If you ain't got something to say on the matter, why bother posting ?

Level 40
The grinding isn't what most people like (many complain about it in fact); notice how there are ways to get around all the leveling. People for the most part are interested in either interesting quests (roleplayers) or PvP (others).

I've played WoW and I don't enjoy it. Also, I had been in the barrens for about half the time, and it's likely I wasn't an amazing player on my first try indeed (I've never been fond of modern RPGs; I play NetHack and Diablo, the former for its strategy and thought [lacking from most if not all modern titles] and the latter for its fast pace and the hordes of tough enemies). However, if the game is tailored to so-called amazing players then it fulfills a niche market and doesn't really have a place in a popularity contest anyways. I found it boring and stupid. Most people I know who have actually played it find it boring and stupid. Fun is subjective whether you like it or not.

Wc3: WoW inspires more modders. D3W is more fun (for most people, anyways) and popular. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Level 8
So in the end, you're changing your statement that the better the art, the better the game ehh ?

Aand I think im gonna repeat myself but there was no grinding in TKoK(unless you want all the epic items ofc). There were always Quests to do to get lvl and you were always finding yourself the proper level for the next zone, with the next chunk of quests and boss fight(which like no other rpg is unique and scripted to actually require strategy).

I see you just don't want to change your view of it no matter what is placed infront of your eyes, so I guess the only proper move by me is to give up. I'm gonna point to that 1 sentence you tried to be funny with. Peace

Level 17
So in the end, you're changing your statement that the better the art, the better the game ehh ?
As far as i can tell
I've never been fond of modern RPGs; I play NetHack and Diablo,
just yell "ITS GAMEPLAY AND NOT GRAPHIC THAT MAKES THE GAME."

And seriously, doing quests at low level in wow is far much more fun then doing quests at low level in TKoK. It goes much faster in wow, you actually do quests, its fun to run around and explore, in TKoK its like "kill 30 of those damn gnolls to the left and come back" in wow you get to explore, kill different creatures, and like i said, it goes much faster to get to the higher levels!

So you are wrong about wow being a big flaw at the start...

Level 4
TKoK's biggest flaw would probably be the way the experiences of first-time players greatly differ as a result of disorganized play. To me, TKoK has never been a map that you could enjoy by only playing random public games and so far, this has continued to be the case, even more so with 3.0 as the difficulty skyrocketed.

At its worst, TKoK is an unendurable grindfest that seems to be going nowhere because your cleric thinks he's a damage-dealer, your phantom stalker thinks he's a tank, and your hydromancer has lost consciousness after opening up the inventory screen. Or maybe it's because 3 people left because they couldn't figure out how to pick a hero. Or maybe it's because everyone in the game is ignoring quests. Who knows, the point is that the majority of public games are played along these unfortunate and monotonous lines which only results in a terrible experience that might have destroyed any interest these TKoK virgins possessed when they started playing.

At its best, TKoK is, by far, the most challenging WC3 RPG that has ever shown itself on Battle.net which requires undivided concentration and a solid team in order to surpass its greatest challenges. By having the types of classes that RPGS and MMO's generally require, by working as a team, and by completing quests designed for your current level, TKoK can easily become one of the shortest RPG maps you have ever played.

Putting all of that into consideration, it is understandable that TKoK didn't win.

-TKoK's Director of Public Relations (Self-proclaimed :-D)

Level 4
We're on a website dedicated to WC3 modding, in a thread that is exclusively about WC3 projects and it's silly to limit my judgment to the projects listed as well as other projects (maps) which aren't?

I'll keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.