• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive's Member Populace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Cheers for an upgrade to the World Editor, there are some features of the interface that
WarCraft III simply cannot do in its current state.

Like for instance? Galaxy Editor only makes a few improvements, and in my opinion loses ground with the amount of complexity. I'm able to do more with World Editor than Galaxy Editor by far.

On top of that, the GUI in GE is dreadful to write. It takes twice as long, and only works right 50% of the time.

Like for instance? Galaxy Editor only makes a few improvements, and in my opinion loses ground with the amount of complexity. I'm able to do more with World Editor than Galaxy Editor by far.

On top of that, the GUI in GE is dreadful to write. It takes twice as long, and only works right 50% of the time.
Well sir, you then are too weak in this thing. Either you become better, or get kicked off the league. That's how it is, you can't blame an editor for your lazyness and expecting stuff to be done the way you want them to be done when not doing them like you should. Take time and learn the editor.
starcraft 2 will never be better from wc3...In my opinion Blizzard should upgrade the World editor make it better or even make WC4 it will be so good :)
I still don't get why the "Wc4" idea is that supported. It is not even possible to do this while WoW is up, and WoW isn't going down unless the number of players drops to less than 500k. Maybe less. But Blizzard is NOT making Wc4 anytime soon. And never will.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Maybe if someone who knows a lot about coding and that could re-program the Wc3 game engine and editor to do more than it does now? (No idea if this is possible...)

Rui

Rui

Level 41
For all the WC4 supports, I liked reading this article. The text is structured in a way that is pleasing to read, but for those who can't be arsed, the main reasons are possible conflicts between lore of future WoW expansions and WC4, as well as e-sports being occupied by WoW and SC2, which is a strategy game, like the traditional Warcraft. Not to mention Diablo III is also in development plus expansions for it and expansions for SC2. Basically, all franchises are being worked on at moment except strategy Warcraft. I know zero of economy, but I imagine Blizzard's thought was: we should have a card to play after WoW, SC2 and Diablo III are fully explored (with so many expansions for WoW, figures they'll run out of ideas someday, the next expansion may well be the last). The author of the article wrote 2018 as a possible date for WC4 to be heard of. I was more optimist and thought 2015 or 2016, but after considering the arguments presented, he may well be right. Despite WoW, it's kind of unfair considering StarCraft players only had to wait 12 years.

Level 22
Well sir, you then are too weak in this thing. Either you become better, or get kicked off the league. That's how it is, you can't blame an editor for your lazyness and expecting stuff to be done the way you want them to be done when not doing them like you should. Take time and learn the editor.

1. I'm not sure, you even know what subject we are on.

2. It's spelled "Laziness"

3. The editor doesn't need to be learned, I already know the editor like the back of my hand, and it sucks.
Example, you have two cars. A Mercedes, and a Prius, the Mercedes will get me there faster with the expense of gas mileage, the Prius will just get me better gas mileage, now if you are in a race, which car would you want to have?

Level 22

3. The editor doesn't need to be learned, I already know the editor like the back of my hand, and it sucks.
Example, you have two cars. A Mercedes, and a Prius, the Mercedes will get me there faster with the expense of gas mileage, the Prius will just get me better gas mileage, now if you are in a race, which car would you want to have?

Mercedes.

I don't think you get what i mean. It has nothing to do with mileage. It has to do with the driver. A driver that is used in using automatic cars and is not used in non-auto cars, will perform worse with the latter. You're in the first category.

For all the WC4 supports, I liked reading this article. The text is structured in a way that is pleasing to read, but for those who can't be arsed, the main reasons are possible conflicts between lore of future WoW expansions and WC4, as well as e-sports being occupied by WoW and SC2, which is a strategy game, like the traditional Warcraft. Not to mention Diablo III is also in development plus expansions for it and expansions for SC2. Basically, all franchises are being worked on at moment except strategy Warcraft. I know zero of economy, but I imagine Blizzard's thought was: we should have a card to play after WoW, SC2 and Diablo III are fully explored (with so many expansions for WoW, figures they'll run out of ideas someday, the next expansion may well be the last). The author of the article wrote 2018 as a possible date for WC4 to be heard of. I was more optimist and thought 2015 or 2016, but after considering the arguments presented, he may well be right. Despite WoW, it's kind of unfair considering StarCraft players only had to wait 12 years.
By the plans Blizzard has set, they plan on adding 2 more expansions in WoW, and Titan. And there's an expansion to Diablo III, and there's Legacy of the Void.

Level 22
Now back on-topic then... Galaxy Editor's immense complexity and lack of user-friendliness has definitely dampened SC2's modding success quite a bit.

Despite all of the new features in SC2 I still think WC3 and World Editor kicks ass, and there are a lot of people who say the same thing. Plus I would assume that this being a WC3 website is going to cause problems in the process of switching over to SC2 in time, too many people are still attached to WC3 at the moment.

Level 6
Like i said, it's the user that is putting limits in the editor.

uh

ooook

I'm not really in any rush to start editing on SC2 just because it takes so much longer to make maps compared to WC3. Ease of use is important, otherwise everyone would be making their own stand-alone 'maps' independent of SC2 and WC3. Mapping is a recreation at the end of the day.

Level 22
"The Hive is a WarCraft 3 AND StarCraft 2 modding community."
There is no limitation to warcraft 3 whatsoever, and you cannot call it such. And it's not limiting the Sc2 section, more like boosting it from the ones moving from Wc3 to Sc2.

11tsbba.jpg

And

2ajn82g.jpg

Yeah, I had to. ^^

Last edited:
Level 5
it's not dead, it's just diminishing coz of new games but if bloody blizzard updates WC3 yearly, I believe more than a 1000 will post everyday...

It's not new games, its host bots making it impossible to fill a genuine game with players, this started the decline of the player base and has only snowballed to result in fewer people, IMO TFT is unplayable and blizzard has stopped supporting wc3 and will not address the host bot issue. WC3 Ladder will not be at blizzcon this year which shows that activision doesnt want to support a game that no longer brings them profit. personally i would pay money for a new DLC that removed host bots even if it added little other content

That's quite interesting considering it's not.

To me, StarCraft 2 is gone. I'm not going to pay hundreds to upgrade
my computer just so I can play this one game.

To be honest all blizzard games have notoriously low system reqs, i could link you an 80-100$ graphics card that could flawlessly run sc2. I don't think SC2 is a replacement for wc3 because the community and the modding simply arent the same. I dont enjoy SC2 custom games, the editor is less accessible and it doesn't allow the same type of freedom for map creation as wc3 world editor did. sure there were dozens of bad maps and LOAP clones, but the laissez faire attitude made for a stronger community as a whole.

DOTA2, HoN, and LoL will cause the DOTA spamming of the games list to end, but DOTA isnt the problem. The list has been cluttered with dota games since 2007 at least, but it was still playable. The true cause of the community's decline is the spamming of host bots. These games dont go away if people dont join, there could be 2-3 people in each bot game but they'll never connect with eachother and get a full house. RoC is still playable because there are less bots but i am afraid even this will change. Is there any action we can take as a community to stop the spamming of host bots? I've emailed blizzard tech support, who told me to post on the forum, after accumulating dozens of posts against host bots on the forum, blizzard still has no comment. We need to launch a campaign in favor of stopping host bots, lots of emails to technical support, lots of activity on the BNET forum. If we had done this sooner, the community would still have a chance. There is no replacement as of yet to wc3 for custom maps, the battle chest is 20$ and still on sale at every major retailer. As online games age, they dont disappear, they simply move to different countries where they become more accessible with the passage of time. WC3 can still be a viable game if only the host bots strangling custom gaming could be removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.