• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Miscellanous / Other] Warcraft III: Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20

What is Warcraft III: Community Edition?​

Warcraft III: Community Edition is a launcher designed specifically for Warcraft III, version 1.29.2.9231, nothing more, nothing less. You can grab your own copy of 1.29.2 here, under the Game Files tab.

But .. why is Warcraft III: Community Edition?​

I was looking for a challenge, and always wondered how hard it would be to add Lua support to a version of the game that never had it. Turns out it wasn't easy, but it was possible. While doing this, patch 1.33 hit with the grace of the Chicxulub meteor which prompted other people to join the project and expand on the features. The team now consist primarily of @BogdanW3, @TriggerHappy, myself, and several other members offering support or feedback.

The goal of Warcraft III: Community Edition has officially become to be a stable point to work from where we as a community can decide what we want to add and how we want it added.

So how do I use Warcraft III: Community Edition?​

For now, the launcher isn't released, it will be released when it's ready for use within the next 3 months.

So what is HiveForged?​

HiveForged was the original "working name", but with help from others the name is now official Warcraft III: Community Edition, or W3CE for short.

List of technical stuff​

• Requires .NET 6.0.

Last edited:

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20

Current Working Features​

• Maps can be coded in Lua, by importing a custom war3map.lua file into the map with a config or main function.
    • The Lua engine is currently version 5.4, but will likely be changed to 5.3.4 for security and compatibility.
  • Launcher can load a large amount of maps newer than 1.29.2, including maps made for 1.32.10 (1.33 coming soon).
  • Models of newer versions can be loaded directly, as long as they are SD compatible.
  • Many retail natives have been implemented, like:
    • Most of the frame natives.
    • Most of the ability and unit instance API.
    • The new generic damage API, including additional functionality like mixed damage types.
    • The new sync API, so you can easily load data locally and sync it to others.
    • Various minor things that are annoying to type out or I have forgotten.
  • A custom PvPGN Battle.net server has been set up that works automatically with our launcher for multiplayer support.

Current Experimental Features​

• Mumble API, for adding 3d positional voice chat to maps.
  • Functionality to add some buffs directly to a unit without needing a dummy caster.
  • Functionality to cast many abilities directly without needing a dummy caster.

Last edited:
If I reply to this, then I will receive status updates in the future, right?

Honestly, I think I would care less about lua support versus just getting a platform for everybody to move to where existing maps work, like what Reforged wanted to be. I really like being able to just spin up multiplayer and play with a friend online if I want, although I guess after the pandemic I have been less and less able to find the time to actually play.

Status
Not open for further replies.