• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Spirituality Poll

Do you consider yourself religious?

• Very Religious

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Atheist

Votes: 52 40.3%
  • Religious

Votes: 22 17.1%
  • Not Really... (leaning towards no)

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • I Practice a Non-Theistic Religion

Votes: 13 10.1%
  • I Don't Know...

Votes: 9 7.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
I wonder what will happen to religion when we finally discover an alien species (I'd be happy with slime mold).

The entirety of religion is based on the concept that humans are special in some way, and yet if we find organisms on other planets, it would throw that entire concept away. Especially if it is intelligent.

Well I would say religion is more so based on finding some meaning to what seems to be a world without order and mans place in it (a way to tolerate death too). I wouldn't say all religion is based on the concept that humans are superior to other living beings, though most religions do hold man above animal. Idk, I don't think finding alien species will destroy the notion of religion, though it would (hopefully) change peoples perceptions on evolution so they wouldn't be so opposed to the notion.

Level 35
Alien life won't do anything to it...

Any intelligent life we come in contact with at any rate is either too advanced for us to comprehend properly, or else too far away to matter (due to the nature of space)....On a side note I think it would be exceedingly amusing if aliens came to proselytize Christianity to our lost world.

Missionaries from another world...I wonder what that would do to Atheism?

Probably nothing?

Level 15
Alien life won't do anything to it...

Any intelligent life we come in contact with at any rate is either too advanced for us to comprehend properly, or else too far away to matter (due to the nature of space)....On a side note I think it would be exceedingly amusing if aliens came to proselytize Christianity to our lost world.

Missionaries from another world...I wonder what that would do to Atheism?

Probably nothing?

What makes you think that they would be too far away?

Anyways, like I said, I would be happy with Slime Mold, look it up, rather interesting organisms (It's not what you think)

Also, what are your specific beliefs, things like Young Earth, evolution, 7 days, woman being from ribs, etc.

Level 35
Intelligent life would most likely be too far away, and if Steven Hawking, and any myriad of scientists are correct on that issue...they are too far away. Slime mold, or any form of lesser organisms would not matter much by default: We have mold on Earth.

All I can say, is that really, life on other worlds would affect faith (certainly my faith) for naught, if anything, life on other planets would inevitably, and merely bolster it.

As for my specific beliefs: I'll talk about them at another time.

Level 16
613ac9dd24a691781bd126b00d605b89.jpg

But, yeah. I actually consider myself agnostic atheist. There was a time, when I switched between athiest, and believing in god, but at this point, I'd be best described as agnostic atheist. When I did believe in god, I did believe strongly in free will, which from my understanding contradicts most established religions, although I could be wrong. I've always been against organized religions since I was young, though. My parents luckily let me choose as to what I wanted to believe, and not forcing anything upon me. I personally think people should be instilled with the basic ethics, and morality (integrity, honesty, etc.), and from there given the open choice as to what they want to believe.

~Snap

Last edited:
Level 35
"God can do anything, and keeping that in mind: While he may have the power to do any action, God does what is best, rather than what is deemed 'convenient'. It is a fallacy to assume that because The Limitless God does not do things your way, or by your own (inevitably flawed) methods...that he is a flawed god, or non-existent. God painted the big picture with the little details, we did not."

"Evil is the product of the abuse of free-will, to dominate a being's free-will is to do Evil: To void a person immediately who is about to by their own free-will commit an evil, is to dominate him, and that is an evil."

Mercy, Justice, and Love does a better job of restoring good from evil, than what Epicurius would imply. What people want from that statement, is prevention via domination of those whom they deem 'evil' to never be able to act otherwise, to be slaves, not realising their own evil actions.

Which is not to say God does not prevent evil in many cases, only that man likes to whine about things he doesn't know about, and presumes much he doesn't understand.

And Oh_Snap, no, Christianity does Not contradict Free-will at any rate. You can't over-ride free-will, it is impossible to, let alone contradict it. Even at gunpoint, you make your choices of your own accord.

Level 15
...it looks like mold...google says its mold...it has mold in its name...its mold. We have mold/fungi on Earth.

It's not mold.

The main one I find interesting are the Dictyosteliida. Which lives as individual cells that are scattered, but when food runs out, they gather into a slug, which climbs to a decently high spot, when it turns into a plantlike stalk that releases spores, they then mostly die.

Level 16
And Oh_Snap, no, Christianity does Not contradict Free-will at any rate. You can't over-ride free-will, it is impossible to, let alone contradict it. Even at gunpoint, you make your choices of your own accord.

Because I'm too lazy to find another source, I'll quote wikipedia. :D

Wikipedia said:
In Christian theology, God is described as omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent; a notion which some people, Christians and non-Christians alike, believe implies that not only has God always known what choices individuals will make tomorrow, but has actually determined those choices. That is, they believe, by virtue of his foreknowledge he knows what will influence individual choices, and by virtue of his omnipotence he controls those factors. This becomes especially important for the doctrines relating to salvation and predestination.

Which was my original understanding of it.

~Snap

I'm a normal religious person and I respect each human's idea about the existence of a God...

But if we're going to blame religion for what has happened to us, better yet blame humanity itself, since humans are the reason why there are religions...

Anyway, since a long time ago, I always believed that the bad side of humanity is the problem of this world... The human's greed for power, money etc... And I think each one of us has at least one of the bad sides of humanity, its human nature after all...

Level 14
You want to see a light, holy being purely light? If you just look at the sun while there's an eclipse, you'll burn your eyes without some protection. And sun is not made of pure light, and is not holy. How can you see a holy being? Anyways, believe in God or not, it is your right.

Level 19
1. Hey, I read the Bible! That's not true.
2. Prayers aren't only to fulfill things.
3. lol, seriously, made me lol of the plain stupidity.
4. made me lol
5. Remember, old Christians are not modern ones!
6. Hum.. when did the Church ever laugh about this?
7. The Old Testament is not Christian.
8. Did it ever occur to you that the Trinity are extensions of one God..?
9. Who says we're made of dirt?
10. Human nature anyone?

Seriously, people, stop being so ignorant and start realizing there is a difference between idiotic Christians and normal Christians.

Level 21
Are you kidding me? The old Testament is christian....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Testament "The Old Testament is the collection of books that forms the first of the two-part Christian Biblical canon." What did you say? You are talking bullshit, you have no arguments, you don't even get what he means, so get away.... if you have no idea, it is better to shut it.

And yes, we are realizing that you are a idiotic christian... who doesn't even know the true origins of christianity, but well, religion is for the people which can't imagine the ways how intelligent people think... to explain easy things, that was the only intention of religion: Who created the earth? : God, Who created all animals? : God, it is so easy with such a idea about the reality, much easier to live, but I think we evolved enough to look behind those lies which were made up by people which were not intelligent enough to imagine the reality...

Level 34
1. Hey, I read the Bible! That's not true.
Good fiction novel. Spoiler: Jesus dies.

2. Prayers aren't only to fulfill things.
Yes they are, praying people want more money, just different interpretation.

3. lol, seriously, made me lol of the plain stupidity.
If your mobile phone's battery is empty then you simply recharge the battery and don't pray to God.

4. made me lol
The truth hurts.

5. Remember, old Christians are not modern ones!
Once a Christian, always a...

6. Hum.. when did the Church ever laugh about this?
I heard they laughed at burning Jews people in Spain.

7. The Old Testament is not Christian.
Despite that: It's a book that orders people to control other people.

8. Did it ever occur to you that the Trinity are extensions of one God..?
Did you know that a tomato is a fruit?

9. Who says we're made of dirt?
Your book tells you, Genesis section. With the whole Adam section.

10. Human nature anyone?
Blame your Eve on this.

Level 35
I find it somewhat amusing, that those who profess with utmost vehemence that God does not exist...apparently says that he exists "just enough" to be misinterpreted into any myriad of evil representations.

I don't believe in Shiva...you don't see me making fun of him, or hindus...I think there is something to be said of that...Don't you agree?

It is amusing when an atheist claims to know more about the Bible than a Christian: If they did, they would be a Christian. There is a difference between 'skimming for quotes', or 'reading through as fast as you can' just so you can say you read it...and by some (lol) leap of faith claim you know it: and actually Knowing it, studying it, and applying it to your own life. "I know the Bible, and I'm an atheist" is an impossibility. If you knew it, you would inevitably live it, and that would make you a Christian.

Really, it boils down to what it always has been...Superiority Complexes:

The bully (atheism) verses the geek (faith)...

Bully: "You're stupid! I am superior to you, I am stronger, bigger, smarter, and better than you are, I know more, I know facts, I know theories, I know best. Your ideas, your games, anything you find fun is stupid, anything you know is stupid. You're useless, a hindrance, a problem, a blight on the world, you get in the way of progress, you are a bad person, you are nothing, your ideas are nothing - yet at the same time your ideas that are nothing cause everything bad to happen, and you will end up as nothing. I am right, you are wrong, this is truth, this is reality. Telling the teacher won't do anything, they can't help you, they are too far away, your father is too far away, your father is evil by the way, your father does bad things, your father can't help you, on this playground your father doesn't even exist, he isn't going to pick you up from school you know, he isn't coming, he hates you, he doesn't want you to succeed, you should rebel and hate him too, I hate my father and look how mighty I am, you're without help...This world is crap, and you will never get over it, so live with it, and take your punishment you stupid geek."

Geek: "When I grow up, I will be far better off than you will be."

Bully: "Prove it! You'll never be better off than me, you'll rot in this useless town like everyone else! You have no proof of this better life! Don't be such an arrogant little prick to think you are going to be better than me! You arrogant little geek, how dare you! Prove it!"

Geek: "Time will flow. Proof will come."

Bully: "Ha! Typical response from a stupid neeeerd like you, who has nothing to say and has lost the argument. Get out of here, I hate your stupid face, and your stupid ideas, you are a hideous mark on this planet that shouldn't ever have existed."

Geek: "Patience is a virtue. I believe I will be going home soon: The clock is ticking and the bell is about to ring."

We all know how the typical geek/bully tables turn in time.

Level 13
Going "I'm right, you're wrong" in a guessing game is human nature?

I beg to differ.

EDIT: Lots of new post, this one's directed at Fussiler.

"It is amusing when an atheist claims to know more about the Bible than a Christian: If they did, they would be a Christian. There is a difference between 'skimming for quotes', or 'reading through as fast as you can' just so you can say you read it...and by some (lol) leap of faith claim you know it: and actually Knowing it, studying it, and applying it to your own life. "I know the Bible, and I'm an atheist" is an impossibility. If you knew it, you would inevitably live it, and that would make you a Christian."

Not at all. I can say happily that i have read the bible. it is naive to think that if somone 'truly' understood the bible that they would be a christian. Don't make me laugh. Just because somone understands somthing doesn't mean its right.

"""and your: Really, it boils down to what it always has...Superiority Complexes:

The bully (atheism) verses the geek (faith)...

Bully: "You're stupid! I am superior to you, I am stronger, bigger, smarter, and better than you are, I know more, I know facts, I know theories, I know best. Your ideas, your games, anything you find fun is stupid, anything you know is stupid. You're useless, a hindrance, a problem, a blight on the world, you get in the way of progress, you are a bad person, you are nothing, your ideas are nothing - yet at the same time your ideas that are nothing cause everything bad to happen, and you will end up as nothing. I am right, you are wrong, this is truth, this is reality. Telling the teacher won't do anything, they can't help you, they are too far away, your father is too far away, your father is evil by the way, your father does bad things, your father can't help you, on this playground your father doesn't even exist, he isn't going to pick you up from school you know, he isn't coming, he hates you, he doesn't want you to succeed, you should rebel and hate him too, I hate my father and look how mighty I am, you're without help...This world is crap, and you will never get over it, so live with it, and take your punishment you stupid geek."

Geek: "When I grow up, I will be far better off than you will be."

Bully: "Prove it! You'll never be better off than me, you'll rot in this useless town like everyone else! You have no proof of this better life!"

Geek: "Time will flow. Proof will come."

Bully: "Ha! Typical response from a neeeerd who has nothing to say and has lost the argument. Get out of here, I hate your stupid face, and your stupid ideas, you are a hideous mark on this planet that shouldn't ever have existed."

Geek: "Patience is a virtue."

We all know how the typical geek/bully tables turn in time. """

You know, at one point it took you for thoughtful. Don't Make me laugh. Do you honsetly see every aethist this way? Almost evry bully i've met in my life goes to church. Almost every demeaning person i've met belives in god. and chirstian values. i'd say about 1/100,000,000 of christians acually uphold every christian value, therefore, the majority of people who call themselves christian, don't follow the written rules, and christianity has changed. now the masses who call themselves christian are what the term christian applies to, not what they protend to be.

*Note that the above is my oppinion derived from experience, a few facts, but mostly oppinion.*

Level 19
Good fiction novel. Spoiler: Jesus dies.

Yes they are, praying people want more money, just different interpretation.

If your mobile phone's battery is empty then you simply recharge the battery and don't pray to God.

The truth hurts.

Once a Christian, always a...

I heard they laughed at burning Jews people in Spain.

Despite that: It's a book that orders people to control other people.

Did you know that a tomato is a fruit?

Your book tells you, Genesis section. With the whole Adam section.

Blame your Eve on this.

Praying can be for hope.
Also, it's supposed to be something serious, no begging.

Christianity also changes.

I heard that laughing at Jews is part of our sadistic human nature.

Doesn't say so in my Bible.

Level 22
It is amusing when an atheist claims to know more about the Bible than a Christian: If they did, they would be a Christian.
There is a difference between agreeing with the Bible and believe it's true, and not believing in it at all while still having read the Bible. Some people even believe in it without even knowing what it looks like. Reading the Bible doesn't mean you actually think it's true. My father read the Bible several times, but he's a Buddhist. And one who truly knows the Bible, i.e everything that's wrong in it, all that they missed etc, wouldn't be Christian. Jesus wrote some stuff, why isn't it in the Bible? Maria Magdalena wrote some stuff, it's not in the Bible either. Several books which have been recovered after the Christians attempts at destroying them reveals that Maria was pregnant (holding Jesus' child) and that it was Maria who was supposed to create his Church, and not that other guy (I forget his name all the time). Why isn't it mentioned that Jesus was a father? There are so many things they've removed, edited and so on. How do you know what's true, if anything at all?

Level 35
Not at all. I can say happily that i have read the bible.

I've read the encyclopedias, yet I don't know everything.

I've read the dictionary at the back of the Lord of the Rings, yet I don't know Elvish.

You have to study, and apply. Reading avails to little...

it is naive to think that if somone 'truly' understood the bible that they would be a christian.

It isn't naive, it is fact.

Don't make me laugh. Just because somone understands somthing doesn't mean its right.

Laughing? I can only cite the bully on this one.

You know, at one point it took you for thoughtful. Don't Make me laugh.

Your tone is the same used by the bully you know.

Do you honsetly see every aethist this way?

I've met very few atheists on this site, and abroad, who have not been a bully to the faithful geek.

Almost evry bully i've met in my life goes to church. Almost every demeaning person i've met belives in god. and chirstian values. i'd say about 1/100,000,000 of christians acually uphold every christian value, therefore, the majority of people who call themselves christian, don't follow the written rules, and christianity has changed. now the masses who call themselves christian are what the term christian applies to, not what they protend to be.

A pretender isn't what he pretends to be: Truth. You were bullied by humans, not by Christians, it would seem.

There is a difference between agreeing with the Bible and believe it's true, and not believing in it at all while still having read the Bible.

The difference is between 'reading' and 'studying'. You can read anything, you can read the stop on the stop sign...Of course we all know what happens when you don't apply it.

Some people even believe in it without even knowing what it looks like. Reading the Bible doesn't mean you actually think it's true.

Reading != studying-applying = knowing it.

My father read the Bible several times, but he's a Buddhist.

Reading != study-applying = knowing it.

And one who truly knows the Bible,

*Isolating the quote*

i.e everything that's wrong in it,

Bully tone. ^_^

all that they missed etc,

Ah yes...the source of your issue with it. You feel "denied pleasures". In my experience, the more I grow with God, the greater, and better, I experience life.

Jesus wrote some stuff, why isn't it in the Bible? Maria Magdalena wrote some stuff, it's not in the Bible either. Several books which have been recovered after the Christians attempts at destroying them reveals that Maria was pregnant (holding Jesus' child) and that it was Maria who was supposed to create his Church, and not that other guy (I forget his name all the time). Why isn't it mentioned that Jesus was a father? There are so many things they've removed, edited and so on. How do you know what's true, if anything at all?

This is full of errors I'm afraid. Really, I can't quite put my arm into how deep this is to even pull you out. But I will try:

"Because the DaVinci Code isn't Truth."

I find it strange that you believe in all of that, but you won't even look at the actual bible without sneering.

Level 13
To the unicorn and fairies post :

I do. I have seen one in Canada.
No, because it is only children whom belive in them, as they are some sweet everloving creatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.