1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

High Elves techtree without magic?

Discussion in 'Idea Factory' started by Tuwnew, May 21, 2018.

1. Banelingline

Banelingline

Resources:
    Resources:
    Guys. These aren't anarcho-primitivist Elves. This is purely and solely High Elves, minus the magic. Specifically these blokes.

2. Tuwnew

Tuwnew

Resources:
    Resources:
    The faction is made for like one (or maybe two) missions of a campaign and is based on human techtree. Basic Units/Buildings will be kind similar.
    However, spells and "unique" units (Knight, siege engine, motar... for example) must be new.

For Priest, I think about some "runes" like suggered before which work like totem. For healing, I though about salve healing (orc potion from shop).

Your spellbreaker hero is a really nice idea and I will certainly base my hero on that.

I say again, but the faction must be based on lore firstly. In Wow, we don't see any casters, but since we are 4 years later... Here (TFT era) we can imagine they are still there and could follow Kael or become wretched or something else.

I can maybe use Dragonhawk + wolves as mounted unit.

3. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Literally basically Trolls. : D

That's a part of why I love them so much in Warcraft.

4. Banelingline

Banelingline

Resources:
    Resources:
    Okay, so, the Quel'Danil lodge has some notable features, and one of the big ones is that they refused to use Arcane magic in any way, but we know they used Light-based magic rather extensively due to Dranei showing up for that reason (well, it's more a matter of being a safe, quiet place with some decently-powerful allies to back them up so they can meditate without being buggered, but that still strongly supports a Light magic society).

In The Frozen Throne's time, they could be in the middle of abandoning Arcane magic due to the timeframe in question. However, the lack of access to the Sunwell, and presumably the same refusal to use mana drain as the ill-fated Quel'Lithien, could result in their abandonment of Arcane magic being primarily an issue of supply, so it could have been rather gradual. The disbelief in the Sunwell's destruction could lead them to holding to Arcane magic as long as possible before they ran out of stockpiles (given how far they are from Quel'thalas, they likely didn't draw directly from the Sunwell and instead relied on shipments of mana-rich items).

Given what the Wretched are, the hording behavior seen in famines may cause some of them to arise, especially among the higher-grade spellcasters used to having immense amounts of mana on-call. As mentioned, an elven archmage Wretched could work as a Hero built around mana manipulation. A Spellbreaker Hero would, for one, need a new model, and two, it'd be separate from the Wretched option, as Spellbreakers proper are both extremely high-status guards (the reason we get them in the TFT campaign is specifically because Kael is the Crown Prince, as in he should already be the actual king) and well familiar with micromanaging mana manipulation to not horrible screw themselves over.

As mentioned, the whole race could have mana pools, down to the workers, then many of them could become Wretched. Possibly including the workers, but not all the Elves. Helpfully, Gryphon Riders and Mortar Teams can be used, as Quel'danil is in the Hinterlands, more or less adjacent to large concentrations of Dwarves. This means that the only unit needing complete replacement would be the Knight.

5. Himperion

Himperion

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Well, it depends of what mechanics do you want.

Light magic is a no brainer, it covers buff, debuff, healing, and damage. It's possible to divide the techtree between two or three units and go from it.

Alchemy is another option, healing or offensive uses. You can justify an elven mortar unit with alchemical rockets.

Runestones. While runes as a building is easy to implement, auras and actives. For units i find this dificult, for example, instead of using magic like other units, runes must be charged like items. So casting runes should cost less mana, but you only can use 4 charges before waiting for the cooldown to restock your 4 shots.

6. Tuwnew

Tuwnew

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hello guys,

I started making abilities.

PRIEST (Or new name)
    Alchemy
    Targeted unit has an increased HP regeneration but must not be attacked during the process.

Rune of Slowing
    Create a rune which reduce speed of all enemy units around.

???

SORCERESS (Name to edit I guess)
    ???

Shield Rune
    Targeted unit's armor increased.

Rune of Healing
    Create a rune which regenerate HP of all allied units. (Witch Doctor, basically)

SPELLBREAKER
    Same spell + Antimagic shield (a weak one)

Swordsman, Ranger, Ballista, Dragonhawk Rider → No modifications (abilities)

For Tier 3 melee unit (Like Knight), I can use :
    A Wolf rider
    A Dragonhawk Rider (Foot ?)
    An Elite Footman (Look like Spellbreaker though)

Any suggestions?

7. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Why not use a farstrider guerrilla army, it fits the lore, and would be enough for just a few missions, Ranger generals, archers, farstriders on foot, riders and ballistas, maybe some kind of lesser druidism, if i recall the ranger corps spent so much time in the forest, away from the sunwell, that they started taping on to forest magic (druidism), including using entangling roots and summoning treants, maybe you could based on the night elves instead of the regular humans?

8. Tuwnew

Tuwnew

Resources:
    Resources:
    It was my initial plan, but I changed to the opposite and focus on caster.
    Why?

Because of Lore.

Quel'Danil Lodge is led by Saldor in the old canon.
    Jalinde Summerdrake is the only named unit on Wow.

So, in my mission, the "casters" led by Saldor follow the hero and the "Farstriders" with Jalinde stay at home.

9. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Uhmm, i see, well, that puts things more clear, but spellbreakers are blood elves, not high elves in the lore D:

10. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Queldorei without magic

Omegalul

What's next? undead without death?
    Worgen without fur?
    Dwarves 3m tall?

11. Tuwnew

Tuwnew

Resources:
    Resources:
  12. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Calia Menethil? :'v
    Regular gilneans? ):v
    Earthens? :v

13. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Is defiantly dead
    Worgen refer to the feral form specifically
    Are not that tall on average

14. Banelingline

Banelingline

Resources:
    Resources:
    Okay, to explain what's actually the goal here, it's an adjusted Human or Night Elf (or mix of altered units from both) techtree, or part of one, to represent a group of High Elves that abandoned Arcane magic in particular. The Light, and Nature magic, are both at least technically usable. This means that the Priest is fine as-is, maybe swap Dispel Magic for a direct debuff based on Holy Magic. The Spellbreakers are also not Blood Elves inherently. They are a group that existed as High Elves, and continued acting in the same role when the Blood Elf shift happened.

This is more a practice of removing a, if not the, core theme of a group, then seeing what can be done without that core. You have to take the things on the side and turn them into the core. And given the lore access, this is relatively easily doable, once you figure out what side elements you're going to use.

15. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    High Elves are pretty much extinct. Those few that remain are arcanists, you cannot take 1% out of 1% and make a techtree out of it :-/

Or well, you can. But not while being canon.

You might find 1-2 worgen who are pro-forsaken, it wont make a horde aligned worgen techtree canon

16. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    #1: Canon schmanon.

More importantly, #2: It's very easy to do a canon thing like that; all you have to do is be in the right time-frame. My Dalaran race I'm designing doesn't make a lick of sense with Dalaran destroyed by Archimonde... So I'm setting it in the past, when they were at their height, RoC-times. Easy peezy.

So pick a time when the High Elves aren't the 1%, and you're already halfway there.

17. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    It's setting in the "present", have you even read the early posts? D:

18. Himperion

Himperion

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    People fighting for canon in a Blizz game :confused:. Watch sometimes one has a joke that sounds good and smart in our heads, but don't end being that good, drop it, lick your wounds and make a better joke next time.

Just saying. ;)

19. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Are you kidding? I'm Kyrbi0. I write; I don't read.

;D

No but seriously, I went back & readre all of Tuwnew's posts to see... And he doesn't mention anything about time until the second page. :< And it's a bit confusing, honestly.

20. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    lol , well, to be honest, i'm a bit confused too X'D

btw, so, a Dalaran faction uh, my concept art services are still open ;3