• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hi, can you help me breach this maps defenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j0e

j0e

Level 1
Hey,
im new here, stumbled upon the site by way of google search. I whole heartedly support the destruction of any map protection, because hey, it's just a game and im sick of being a noob map maker.

Anyway i been playing this map called Bug Evolution, i really like the mod but there is one prevailing problem. The goal of this map is to destroy all of your opponents bugs in order to win (two teams of 6 max players i believe), and alot of the bugs (units) have a modified version of the blink spell. Alot of the time the "crafty" opponent will blink to a crazy spot on the map and become very hard to find, and it can make the game last hours. I have noticed that alot of people end up giving up and its not really fun when you have an army of 200+ bugs or whatever and youre hunting one bug for 2 hours.

Anyway i was thinking of changing it so we have a main building that needs to be destroyed instead of all bugs. that would help to promote all bugs(players) meeting and building in the same area from the start of the game, (which rarely takes place because we all know how teamwork happens in a pub game.... and it isnt frequently from my experiences) and it would also fix the problem of making the game last 30 tiresome hours until your obviously victorious opponents decide to give up and leave.

Anyway if someone could help me crack this map, i would just need a few pointers on what to use how to do it. i have read some info from this site on how to do so but i still have a few questions, such as, do i ever use Hexedit to break this protection? what programs/methods should i be using to find out HOW the map is protected etc etc etc...

Thanks in advance, EDIT:<---------- LOL!
j0e

Level 4
Why don't you just give your suggestions to the map author instead of "editing" his map? And even if he ignores your suggestions, this still doesn't give you the right to edit his map. If you have great ideas, fine, make a new map, but leave that map unedited.

People like you are the reason for authors protecting their maps, thanks.

klovadis

j0e

j0e

Level 1
yeah ok dude im pretty sure the site owner has made his views on map editing and protection quite clear, thanks. i asked for help not your opinion.

Also, why bother protecting a map if you cant make it right in the first place?

Level 8
Actually, the purpose behind this site's stance on map protection is that maps should be available for people to learn from, not that they should be edited. We have a very strong respect for the person effort and accomplishment that goes into making a new and complete Warcraft 3 map.

If you're interested in creating a bug-like map, try making one. It doesn't sound like a terribly complicated map-type. If you can't sort out all the details, ask around about the triggers.

j0e

j0e

Level 1
i actually just wanted to fix this one... but since no one seems to want to help its cool.

j0e

j0e

Level 1
anyway. all i see are a bunch of tightwads so far. you can stop replying, i have long since lost any ambition i may have had. thanks guys, youve been a real help.

btw "I dont believe in editing others" thats a rather broad statement. have you ever downloaded a patch for a program before? that usually consists of a bunch of this "editing" you so dislike. anyway look,

i like this map, i wanted to fix a problem with it. ive been trying to make games, and people keep getting bored and leaving. all i get is bad attitudes, and negative feedback. while the statement
"make your own maps" or its equivalent, is not neccesarily negative feedback, "You are the reason maps are protected" is somewhat of an insult. No Im not the reason maps are protected, see i just wanted to make this one a little better, not hack the sh!t out of it. Anyway before people start talking out of their anal orifices, maybe you should have gotten to know me a bit better. too late for that now though, (not like i expect you to care) because i really dont feel the urge to know you any better.

:idea: Peace, literally.

Level 5
Hmm... that was highly unnessesary. People weren't sharing their opinions, they were trying to save your sorry _please insert word here_ from getting banned from this site. Please read the rules before you post this type of question and start insulting others.

And just so you know, a patch is made by the maker of the game/program, not some other wanna-be. And also, I support the people when they say "Make your own maps, don't edit others' maps", as it's completely reasonable. If you think you can improve on something, make your own version, and who knows, you might become famous one day. But if you edit others' maps, you could happen to have the police at your doorstep one day. But those are merely my thoughts and you can continue complaining if you wish.

Dragon_Lord

Level 4
j0e wrote:
i have long since lost any ambition i may have had.
wow... never realised that editing someone elses map is considered ambition...
if you want to know what the policy states here it is:
  • Pro:
    - Keeps Newbies from opening and altering your map
    - It makes you feel smart
    - Due to some deleted files the map is smaller
    Cons:
    - It's useless
    - People cannot learn from your maps
    - people lost the original copy of the map and cannot work on the protected ones
    - As long as warcraft3 can open your map, anyone can.
    - Blizzard encourages people to open other maps to learn (see picture below)
if you want to read it for yourself here is the link.
i think there is a reason that "in case your map has a bug/inbalance someone else can work on it for you" isn't listed on the cons section...
I also play this game quite often so i do understand where you are coming from.
if you are interested in working on a new -possibly better- version, just let some people here know about it. I'm completely sure someone (me most likely) will assist you in a new map :)

------------------------------------------------------
-and THIS is how i spend my spare time?

Status
Not open for further replies.