• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 conversion: Tlk about it here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
This thread is the forum stricly for sharing things about HoMM3's conversion. U can tlk of anything u wish, including if ur interested on helping. But to save confusion, I wouldnt bother posting comments like "Heroes wasnt that much to me" lol. Not cos i dont wanna hear it, but just to save post :p

For all thoes who wish to know, not just thoes whom r alrdy wrking on this:
This conversion project will convert Heroes of Might and Magic 3 into an RTS format using WC3s engine. This forum here will allow us to tlk of the issues in this creation, and chat of the project in general as u wish.
Here is a small list of somt hings we could chat on and discuss:
*Flying units* Campared to both games, flying units could simply fly over battlements, they could still be attacked, so wots the small resolution?

*Heroes* Heroes will be IN combat, which was done on Heroes 4, but not HoMM3. Wot changes will be made? how will the skills and attibutes be attributed? Remember, Heroes have 4 skill field in HoMM. Also note how balancing will be done, allowing them In hand to hand combat on the field will also change things.

*Recourses* there are 7 recourses in HoMM, 2 in WC3. Easu proplem to grasp. lol

*Unit Specialties* Some specialties my seem hard to commit, these will need to be discussed as well.

*Recourse System* how will the Recourses even be gathered?

These are only a few, with exception that only a select even in these ideas are actual major problems. The Project is completely possible in every certian form, but please note, that this is an RTS conversion, and not some recreation of TBS. The idea is to have wot would be cool, If HoMM3 was designed as an RTS, not completely take every thing from HoMM, and just stick it in a RTS format. There for, some things are Meant to change in this instant, and i want u all to understand this aswell. Yes, it will be Accurate to HoMM 3, but relize that the RTS format wil need us to make inevitable changes in oder for the Game to even be of some use and fun. Artistic liscense u can say, is allowed in this project. For Example, for the small issue of "Flying Units"
::: Flying units have been decided to be morphed beings that can attack others flying in the air, but not on ground. Only ranged Units can attack them when they r in flight aswell. When on Ground, they can only attack ground, but lose the ability of both safety, and the possibility of Flying easily over battlements quickly.
You see how changes in it r not exactly Heroes 3, while they still some wot are. Flyers were fast troops, they also could storm over Battlements easily. However, they were not treated as *Ground Troops* or *Air Troops*, for they were still active in battle as every one else. Swordsman could still swing at them and such things as that. This will be changed in the RTS Version, where you will influence the combat with even Greater control and Detials. This ability of having more precission is the bases of how this Project will be influenced. Not only will this be "HoMM3 In RTS", but it will be a completely new design aswell. :)
So this is not just a "copy" mates, this is a brand new creation aswell. Let ur imaginations Have At It, and lets see wot we can make! :D
-Gloryn-

Level 9
Aside from the fact that your grammar and style are terrible... (sorry, couldn't resist to comment on that :roll: )
This sounds like a pretty neat, solid project.
I know HoMM, and i bet this will take you alot of time and effort, you sound dedicated though.
The resources, i know a fix for that. Switch two things around.

- Change gold and wood into things that would normally be in a leader/multiboard, like kills/stats.
- Create a multiboard which keeps track of your different resources!
Make resources like units, and harvesters the only ones that can attack those units. When you kill a unit, say 'resource stone' Add 1 to the variable Playerstone(player number of owner of triggering unit).
Then set the multiboard to display each player's 7 resources. There! a resource system.
This will require alot of:
-triggers
-variables
-knowledge of variables/multiboard

But it's doable. Goodluck!

Level 3
Ahhh, that is nice! lol
And bout my grammer, heh, hey, lol, t'wot i get for being tired.

This seems to be even possible for flagging mines aswell, only using Unit Systems instead, Nice, ty lots!

Only one issue, i wish i was talented enough to do that, but im still learning the ropes in the triggering department. lol
Any one here who can teach me this or join me on doing this for our project?
we shall discuss more!

Level 3
Here's the project list for wot i think needs to be done via priorities. Figured this would help a few things.

1rst stage: GAME ENGINE
Unit data sets, items', spells, and recourse systems.
Unit Data: i hav this underway, and im testing the stats right now.
Items: Open to thoes willing, some discussion needed to decide on Heroes Skills "Knowlidge, Power, Attack, Defense"
Spells: havn't touched this yet, might need spells done for many reasons. Designs need to be discussed soon. Spells will inlcude many of the Unit's Specialties, very importent.
Recourse System: Suggestions have been submitted, need a triggerer to set this and discuss this soon please.

2nd stage: GAME DESIGN
Balancing: Testing in a Alpha / Beta form, partly alrdy being done in some ways as i am dong the Unit Stats atm.
Performence: Debugging and fixing any issues with Stats, Data, Trigger Language, FX, Discriptions and the like.
Recourses: Models, Music, Triggering. First step Models are units. Second Step Models, Spells if need be. Third Step is doodads, models accurately done to the detials from the HoMM3 game, like, Mountians and the Tree Sets.
Models need to be discussed as this Project evolves.

3rd stage: BETA/Finalizing
Mianly stashing all recourses together, designing playable maps and completing the testing grounds. This is the finallizing where all will come together.

UPDATE:
Biggest issues right now:
Triggers
Unit Data (including Spells and Items)
Modeling Recourses

Modeling is rly up to the debate, specially since i want this Conversion to still show the Epic size of HoMM 3. The issue comes into system performence. I dont want only ppl with my class system only being able to play the Mod.
That would suck.
Ive experimented many many times with reducing unit sizes to a Half Scale. Everything, even trees and such. And needless to say, ive become rather successful at this and it GREATLY increases the proportionate size of a map in this way. Imagine a 256X256 map, times 2, b/c everything is Half Scaled! MONSTER size world now. Ive dont this with experimental RPGs and RTS mods many a time. My issue is, ive done this only for epic scaling, aswel as, Epic Sized Battles, planning once on having massive ass battles with hundreds, like SC and the Zerg Swarms. The issue is that the Textures on WC3's units r so high that Lots of RAM is needed to power them. Even on low, the Models themselves will Bog anything, no matter wot. We hav to redisign somthing at some point. Im tired of ppl seying "Models r only worth it if they r high poly". Yer... sure, look at CnC GEN. Ya'no thoes models Sucked Ass cos of low polies? And the Textyres were nothing compared Either. Wot made them nice? ANIMATIONS AND SIMPLICITY. This is wot gave it the "Awsome Graphics" rating and "Cinimatic Feel" because the Models actually acted, by moving fluently, and being simple so they never distraced, never were to much. I am proposing that we have a major discussion on how we need our final Models done. At Half Scaling, which is wot im designing the Unit Data Tables as, it is rlly pointless to hav High Polied, Highly Textured models that u wont see the full effects of. We need to seriously discuss this and i will be the one to say, i wanna forward making Low Poly, Low Texture Models similer to that of CnC Gen. Its wot we need unless u dont want the epic size of HoMM 3 at ur finger tips.
The model recourses wanted is also for debate, but since this part is not untill next stages, it can wait. I would love to have this project perfect, im an Artist, and i never like leaving things, Half Way done just cos u acnt wiat to play it. I dont wanna half ass project, and so, call me determined, but when we get to this point, i need som one to model the HoMM 3 Doodads, everything from Mountians, to the Trees, Everything. well, kinda everything. I will be happy if its only Trees and Mountians that r released, but i would push for this to be done once we arrive at this point. And i will be happy to discuss this aswell...

Level 3
Recourse!? Damn my dislexia to hell! LOL
oops, sowwy lol...

yer if any one wants to know som serious irony, im a writer, song writer and i write poems too, ... and in al that, im dislexic or somthing cos everything is typed up back words, even my grammer lol.

Anyweyz, yer, its a real big devotion i wanna push hard for, but, i cant do it alone, no matter wot. If any one can spread the word, pls do so, even support such as that will be so greatly apreciated.
i support Project Revolutions, is that the mod u were tlking of? or the one that was kinda replaced by CnC Gens SC mod?

Level 3
Resource Update:
Got the music, all of it...

was quite simple, install the game and use the MP3s it sticks on ur HD, 44 tracks tho...eek...

Level 2
I have come up with an idea for hero stats let me know what up think.

All heroes will be given 2 auras, offence and defence as these are the only stats that apply to units under the heroes control, and these auras will grant the bonuses that the stats would give in Heroes 3. When a hero levels up there will be a chance that one of the auras will go up a level, the chance will be based on what "class" the hero is, e.g. a barbarain will be much more likely to gain and offence "stat" than a wizard. Spell power and Knowlage could be stored in the standard WC3 hero stats, in varaibles, or in abilities.

Modfications can be made as nessary.

Level 3
Ok im back from holiday! Every 1 can cheer now!... not.. :p

Lord', ur idea is pretty much wot i had in mind, kinda so yer, i think we must wrk around with this. I will try several variations n such to see the effects.
Im rlly aiming to find ways for the heroes' attributes from HoMM be skills, mianly auras of som type. who knows, we shall see...

ty lots for the input, i shall put this to wrk. Il reply soon! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.