• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

heroes and giving them abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I've seen a lot of maps do this, like you draft skills...but what generally happens is that you can't level up the skills normally. You have to do it through the triggers or make a custom UI for it, like in TGS they made it so you buy levels for the skills with lumber. I would like to avoid doing that if possible. I just want to make one hero unit that is designated as the unit that can get random hero abilities, and I can't figure out how to give him hero abilities that are treated normally. Every time I try it I end up either not giving him anything or I give him like the level 1 version of an ability. Is it something that isn't possible? Wasn't there a special ability draft map for the Dota, what was the name of it...maybe Legends of Dota... made by either the Chinese or the Russians that did this? I don't really remember it so well but I'm pretty sure the maps were protected.

Level 11
I don't think there's a way to do this with Hero Skills, but someone else may know of a way. Pretty much unit abilities and leveling them up by triggers is the only way I can think of.

What you could maybe try to at least make it "look" legit, is to disguise a "Hero Skill" Button as an actually ability. When he casts the Hero Skill ability, you could then select a Hidden player owned merchant. Use the stock to show the "level" of the skill you wish to learn (Increase stock after a unit is purchased). To make it appear random, you could use the Player - Disable Training of Unit. You could also give the merchant a "Cancel" ability button"that re-selects the Hero.

I'll admit this is a ridiculous solution but it is a thought.

Level 10
Oh, so you're having trouble with giving heroes hero abilities. The solution is to give every hero all the abilities, then you disable them for all players in initialization. Then, whenever a player unlocks a ability, you enable the ability and then you give them a skill point. EDIT: made a test map to prove my theory

Attachments

• Hero Skills.w3x
    17.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Level 11
Oh, so you're having trouble with giving heroes hero abilities. The solution is to give every hero all the abilities, then you disable them for all players in initialization. Then, whenever a player unlocks a ability, you enable the ability and then you give them a skill point.

That won't work because you can only give each Hero a certain amount of Hero Abilities. (I think 10 or 12 is the max)

Level 24
I don't think there's a way to do this with Hero Skills,

It is called Engineering Upgrade.

Make dummy hero abilities (that you wont use).
Give these abilities to your hero.
Make an engineering upgrade ability to replace the dummy hero ability with the ability you want to be able to choose (1 engineering upgrade for each hero ability) and add that one when you choose your spells.

It would work if you set everything up right.

Status
Not open for further replies.