• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero_BloodElf.BLP

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deepstrasz
Well, Some time ago i started a proyect with a friend, bla bla bla, long story short, this is a skin i made for this proyect that we returned to, and im sharing it here.
And im quite proud of how it turned out to be the first skin i make.

Well, thats pretty much all what i can say, please dont flame, and make a constructive critic...
Thanks to Misha for the advice when this skin was in diapers.

Do not redistribute to other sites, and give credit if you use it.

Update.
-Reworked face
-Added more shadows and highligths
- covered some "white spots"

Update n2
- MORE HIGHLIGHTS AND SHADES
- sharpened, not blurry anymore (i think...)
- Added some details; the cape is a little more teared, has some orange details in the spaulders, redid the chest.

Keywords:
Evil, Blood, Warlock, Badass, Awesome, First Skin, Black Elf, Blood Elf
Contents

EvilBloodMage (Texture)

Reviews
14:59, 5th Oct 2009 67chrome: This is to messy and lacks refinement in just about every portion of the skin. Red and black seem to be overused, not being shaded also makes the red especially to look obnoxious. I would advise looking through the...

M

14:59, 5th Oct 2009
67chrome: This is to messy and lacks refinement in just about every portion of the skin. Red and black seem to be overused, not being shaded also makes the red especially to look obnoxious. I would advise looking through the skinning tutorials on this site to gain some new techniques, and look at approved skins on this site that look similar to the way you want your skins to look.

Work on the changes I talked to you about :)

Level 15
a bit too undefined and blurry imho

but the idea looks nice

improve it and it'll be a very cool skin

It is very nice to see that you are utilizing the ability to make nice effects with the alpha layer, imo the best skins are those who makes the original model irrecognizable due to the clever use of alpha.

Though this is still very basic. Try setting your brush opacity to very low, about 8-25.
Then you use the color chart to find nice shades and highligts, shades should be more blueish (or at least cold), and highlights should be warmer.
In warcraft, you especially want to define the highlights in your texture, since it will get both stretched and blurred ingame. A nice help in finding structure is to use filter>sharpen>more sharpen in photoshop, it replicates the blizzard texture sharpness very well.
That face needs a lot of work too.

Level 5
Ok, so.

-Needs more shadows and highlights.
I know how to do the shadow part. But im not very clever using highligths yet, but i´ll give it a try.
I tried to give the model enough shadows and highligths, but i think i can rework them.
Anyhow, IT HAS shadows and highligths, but it seems they aren´t noticeable enough.
-Someone mentioned the face, i´ll rework it.

Also, about the "overused red" Please take a look at all the red tones i did, because is not plain red. And its also the concept of the skin itself. And i can point a good quantity of skins that "overuse" a color and are aproved. Some even are DC.
Needless to say, neither red nor black are overused here.
Lets suppose i did, what other colors i could use that dont break the skin aesthetically and follow the theme? where?

EDIT: Done updating

See changes
beforeafter.png

And a better-res screenshot...again.
aAAA2.png

I suck at giving ligths, so if it has a bad placed shade/highligth, please point it specifically.
/its still my first skin/

Last edited:
i think you should get rid of the red stain around neck, it looks rather useless... good job on better face. yeah, the red is overused. perhaps the different color of the cape or shoulders will make difference to good
and also.. you should be reworking those teared edges of the cloak, into something that has smaller diameter, but deep tears. and also the tears and the left-out parts should have a pointed end, instead of flat
yeah maybe some should be flat, but not all.

good tips? :3

EDIT: that pants-color would be good for cloak also, or shoulders, as i've mentioned.

Level 5
i think you should get rid of the red stain around neck, it looks rather useless
Ok. I´ll see what i can do.

.. good job on better face. yeah, the red is overused. perhaps the different color of the cape or shoulders will make difference to good
and also.. you should be reworking those teared edges of the cloak, into something that has smaller diameter, but deep tears. and also the tears and the left-out parts should have a pointed end, instead of flat
yeah maybe some should be flat, but not all.

good tips? :3

EDIT: that pants-color would be good for cloak also, or shoulders, as i've mentioned.

Yea, but i like the cloak as it is rigth now, maybe i´ll tear it more, but i really like the dark crimson color on it.

Maybe i´ll add orange-yellow details to the shoulders, but the purple stays in the pants.

I´ll get myself to work once i get the pm im expecting from 67chrome. Or when i get a more precise indication on which parts need extra shade/ligth and how much shade/ligth they need.

Level 5
Actually, is almost purely red/black for a specific reason in the proyect. So, no more purple for now, maybe some extra orange as i said before.

EDIT: FINISHED SECOND UPDATE.
how it envolved
updates.png

Better Screenshot
aAAA3.png

A screenshot of the back, which most people haven´t seen because it has only 8 downloads .
AAAback.png

Gotta go to sleep. 4:30 AM atm and i have to wake up at 8:00.

Last edited:
I think the cloak is fine, misha is just nitpicking as usual. ;)
Though everything else needs more definition. The chest and the boots looks very strange, wouldn't it be nice if that chest looked more like a coloured armour rather than red/white blob?

EDIT: I like the progress on the face, much better than the first one. Though i would prefer bloody scars rather than random bland splatter.

Level 5
(...)Though everything else needs more definition. The chest and the boots looks very strange, wouldn't it be nice if that chest looked more like a coloured armour rather than red/white blob?
Actually the chest is the properly said skin, with something like a jacket. And its cloth, i think the actual shading on the materials is ok, but, if i can still improve it, please point it out where and how much (Again, im still on training... ).
Maybe the boots can have some extra work, but i dont know how exactly... how could i give them more definition?

EDIT: I like the progress on the face, much better than the first one. Though i would prefer bloody scars rather than random bland splatter.
Scars? mmm...