• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Design - MacGyver Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
user160036_pic59500_1342547064-png.244360

Challenge - Hero

heroes-wow%25255B7%25255D.jpg

Challenger:
@Kyrbi0
Opponent:
@Direfury

Challenge Type:
Function:

Hero Design
Form:
"MacGyver"/Retrofit

Challenge Duration:
Until We Are Done (Probably One (1) Week to One (1) Month)
Proposed Reputation Award:
15 Points
Challenge Winner Determined By:
Single-Vote Public Poll (X%) & Judge (@Rufus) (X%)

Challenge Rules & Conditions:
  • Challengers will create one (1) Hero each for the standard melee game from the base Object Editor data of another existing melee Hero, without any triggers. Specifically, they may:
    • Choose any existing standard Hero
    • Modify any Object Editor data field in the custom Hero
    • Modify any Object Editor data field in the custom Hero's abilities
      • Do so but Must keep the same abilities (e.g. a modified Paladin can only have modified versions of Holy Light, Divine Shield, Devotion Aura, and Resurrection; other abilities (Hero or otherwise) cannot be used to replace these.
    • Profit!!
  • One entry per person.
  • No submission may violate the Hiveworkshop Rules and Spells Rules.
  • The hero must be made with only In-Game Resources, which means no Custom Resources (models, textures, icons, etc). Specifically, that means Resources that can be found in War3.mpq, War3x.mpq, War3xlocal.mpq, & War3Patch.mpq. The only exceptions to this rule would be
    • A) A modified version of an existing in-game icon to increase functionality ONLY (i.e. creating a Passive-version, or Autocast-version, or Regular-version, etc); i.e. only Border-change.
    • B) A custom "Hero Glow" model (Chest, Weapon, etc) for use in making Unit models into better-fitting Hero models. PROVIDED HERE by RETERA
    • C) An existing In-Game model, modified to have Dissipate anims instead of Decay.
  • The hero must have only 4 spells, no innate abilities (the only exception would be a female Night Elf hero, with Hide, as this is an existing exception)
  • The hero must have a distinct Theme. This Theme is an important part of hero design, and the spells & aesthetics must fit into its Theme. There is no defined Theme for the Challenge, but you must create your own Theme that would fit into your chosen faction.
  • The hero must have a distinct Role. This Role is an important part of the hero design, and the spells & gameplay style must fit into its Role. There is no defined Role for heroes in this Challenge, but you must create your own Role that would fit into your chosen faction.
  • The hero should be balanced qualitatively and quantitatively as if it were a standard hero in standard/ladder WC3 melee games.
  • Your hero must have one "Ultimate" and three "Level-able Skills" (with 3 levels each).
  • Your hero must be designed with a max level of 10 in mind.
  • All spells for the hero must be created specifically for this contest, there will be no previously-made spells allowed.
  • When the hero is complete, submit it to the Challenge thread with the phrase "FINAL" somewhere in the title/post.
  • All submitted entries must use (2)BanditRidge.w3x as the test map. (Modified as necessary, but not with any drastic changes) (Attached Below)
  • The map you submit your hero in should be set up as a melee map so the hero can be tested in a standard melee game; that means no cinematics or other extraneous additions, aside from:
    • Your custom Hero, it's custom spells, etc (your submission, essentially).
    • Triggers which should be provided to allow a single player to test the hero individually with ease and without having to build an altar and gain experience. (These can be made previously)
    • All submitted entries must have a filename in the format:
      HCH.<MyUserName>.<MyHeroName>.w3x
      Example: HCH.Kyrbi0.Paladin.w3x
    • All submitted entries must have an in-game map name in the format:
      HCH.<MyHeroName>
      Example: HCH.Paladin
Design Criteria
Theme:How well the skills, aesthetics & design fit together in a thematic manner such that they feel like they belong on the given hero (i.e. frost mage with frost spells, warrior with martial abilities, etc). Well-fitting & polished aesthetics which complement a cohesive Theme will be graded well; poorly-considered or lacking Thematic elements will result in a poor score.???

Role:
How well the skills of the hero work together to achieve the tactical synergy & gameplay style the hero has (i.e. ranged assault, tank, support caster, etc). Comprehensive, well-though-out Roles which complement a cohesive Faction will be graded well; ill-considered, insufficient or over-compensating Roles will lose points.???

Balance:
Includes how well the hero's Theme, & Role fit into the melee environment in terms of balance, theme, style, complicatedness, and so forth. Overpowered or Underpowered Heroes will result in a poor score; properly balanced elements will mean a good score.???

Creativity:
How original the design of the hero is in terms of creative ideas, clever implementations, or new concepts. Innovation and creativity will be rewarded; re-use of existing elements & poor originality will result in a poor score.???

Divergence:
A measure of how dissimilar your Hero is from it's base origins, both in terms of Theme (aesthetics) and Role (gameplay). For example, turning an Orcish Far Seer into an Orcish Necromagus is one thing, while turning a Tauren Chieftain into a Pixie Princess is quite another. Great divergence will result in a good score; little divergence will result in a poor score.???

Total points:
???

//EDIT 20160929// - Questionable stuff resolved & post finalized.
//EDIT 20161001// - Added Judge & Criteria bits.

Attachments

• (2)BanditRidge.zip
    163 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Level 26
Gentlemen, the challenge have been approved.
I need a confirmation from both of you in this thread that you both have understood the rules of the challenge, and that you are willing to proceed.

After you both have confirmed that you want to accept the challenge, you have up to one month to finish your submissions.

Best of luck, and may the best man win! :)

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Direfury, he's just saying that as long as all involved parties assent, Rule changes are OK. In this case, it's just the two of us, making things easier.

While I'm curious exactly what you mean by "edit out a part & use it for in-game", I agree that it sounds to be in the same spirit as the "minor editing" allowances and assent to the change.

@Rufus, a thing from our PM convo that should probably be mentioned here: Judging. While we've already started & decided to have no Judges, only a public Poll, I have no problem (and might even welcome) you Judging, if you still want to (you don't have to). If you & Direfury are on board for it, let me know, because I would want to provide the Judging Criteria as well (which are not currently on the first post).

Also, @Direfury, you had mentioned wanting to start Monday, but if Rufus is 'starting it' now, I could really/probably use this weekend.

(besides, any extensions just have to be approved by the two of us (easy enough), so the deadline is kinda unimportant anyway IMHO. xD)

So, I got a little bored and decided to whip something up, based off of the Crypt Lord. So, here it is.

c_anicon-png.249461
The Archnecromancer
c_anicon-png.249461

Nefarious Hero, adept at wreaking havoc upon the battlefield. Can learn Rush of Blood, Corpse Explode, Cloak of Fangs and Restless Spirits.

Attacks land and air units.

c_anbloodrush-png.249456
Rush of Blood
Summon forth the corpses of your enemies, erupting out in a line, dealing 25/50/75 damage to enemy ground units, and stunning them for 1/2/3 second(s).

c_ancorpseexplode-png.249458
Corpse Explode
The Archnecromancer accelerates the decay of a fallen unit, detonating the gases contained within, dealing 30/65/100 damage to enemy nearby enemy units.

Leaves a poisonous cloud at the point of detonation for 6 seconds.

c_ancloakoffangs-png.249457
Cloak of Fangs
The Archnecromancer shrouds himself in the claws and fangs of the slain causing enemies that attack him to take 15/30/45% attack damage in return.

c_anrestlessspirits-png.249459
Restless Spirits
Summon the furious dead, causing them to rage around the Archnecromancer, attacking nearby enemy units.

As the Spirits harm enemies, they steal some of their essence, granting it to the Archnecromancer.

Lasts 10 seconds.
c_archnecromancer-png.249460

The Archnecromancer is geared more towards aggressive long-ranged combat, and the unleashing of AoE type abilities. Though he is physically frail, it is dangerous to approach him.

Repurposed from the Crypt Lord, the Archnecromancer is a dangerous enemy, though for vastly different reasons.
I decided to simply copy the Crypt Lord and work off of that version, rather than replacing it in the techtree. It won't be any trouble to fix that, if thats a problem.

Also, in regard to the 'sound edit' thing, its essentially taking the "You should burn in hell!" line that a Knight used when speaking to the freshly undead Arthas in one of his first Scourge missions, and then reimporting it as part of a Soundset, such as the old WC3 Pitlord one, as one of the attacks or 'pissed' lines.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Well, 'don't mind' is a bit too ambivalent.

If you & I assent, we then determine how much of our FINAL SCORE is determined by the Judging vs the Poll; is it 0/100 (all Poll, Judging just for fun), 50/50 (half & half), 100/0 (all Judging, Poll just for fun), or somewhere in between?

After that, I'll work up the Criteria. But what say ye?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Yeah yeah. You want to overcomplicate things for no good reason.

Let's just go with the usual judging criteria, so you can calm down.
*sigh*

Well if it's too 'over-complicated' for you, then I'll just forge ahead & wait for you to complain. Edited the first post. Will work on the #'s but otherwise it's set.

~~~

In other news, I'm getting pretty excited about my entry. I don't have time to write-up now (maybe won't at all; takes just as much time to make the darn thing...), but I put aside my first idea (for a later... CUSTOM CHALLENGE) and actually Direfury helped me come up with my alternative.

Think "Beta Human Heroes" and you're on the right track. : )

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
~UPDATE~

So basically, I'm done. Got a few more UI/UX tweaks to make (tooltips to write, SFX to assign & use, proper names to write), but aside from one last part of a spell I'm done.

I'm a little leery to post it in the thread so early (giving advantage of information to my opponent and all : P), so gotta figure something out there.

@Direfury, going too fast for ya? ; )

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I had completely forgotten about the auto-cast nature of Raise Dead-type spells... Hm.

One possible solution (slightly janky, but I have those too) would be to obfuscate the fact that it has Autocast. Give it a normal BTN, remove any tooltip info about auto-cast-ability... This only works if, as I suspect, you can choose a corpse to cast the spell on (actively casting it like a normal targeted spell).

Otherwise, good luck.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Oh geez, you meant that you Edited in a question afterwards. Criminy.

Yeah that's (for your sake Rufus, me & Direfury decided we'd both be) fine, counts as a "minor edit for drastic improvement/fixing errors in Blizzard models" kinda deal.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
//FINAL// - Submission

Alright, it's been long enough. I want to apologize to both Rufus & Direfury; this really could've been done earlier (as per my intentions, this Contest was supremely simple; this final thrust all amounted to some fiddling with tooltips, animations & SFX in the end, and that's just kinda rude of me). While I've been quite held up by some srs bsns IRL, I still had some time here & there and didn't make the most of it. So my bad.

I also hope it doesn't reflect too negatively on how future Challenges/Contests of this nature would run. But hey, there's a first try for everything.

Suffice it to say, a Nov 7th deadline will be unnecessary for me. I'll even eschew my normal predilection for privacy & simply upload straight to this thread. When Direfury has uploaded his & is satisfied, I say we move right on ahead to the public Poll (&, if Rufus is still interested, the Judging) as described in the first post.

Lookin' forward to it!

//EDIT// - Just noticed that the percentages & Criteria weights haven't yet been assigned. Since I know Direfury basically won't care, I'll just pick some values... I'd say 40/60 for Poll/Judging (this time around the Poll will be very straightforward, so I'm not as worried about it), and... well, Rufus, do you want to assign the point values? Just take the existing Criteria list but you figure out how much you want each to weigh?

Attachments

• HCH.Kyrbi0.Crusader.w3x
    176.4 KB · Views: 102
Level 26
All good! :)
We should all have put up more strict rules from the beginning though, so we didn't have to hesitate around them. I think this can nly contribute to making cahllenges better in the future! :)

I think 40/60 sounds like a good deal.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
All good! :)
We should all have put up more strict rules from the beginning though, so we didn't have to hesitate around them. I think this can nly contribute to making cahllenges better in the future! :)
Eh, one of the things I like about the Challenge setting is a bit of 'free-wheelin' when it comes to doing things that you can agree upon with the two of you (i.e. getting consensus is a lot easier). I did mean to fill out those categories earlier, though.
Speaking of which:
Rufus said:
I think 40/60 sounds like a good deal.
Ok, cool; what about the Judging Criteria? That's what I really need your thoughts on.

Level 26
They are good points, and I would probably include most of them in a review, but I never intended to go super in depth like that. It could be changed to say: "Those things should be taken into consideration", but a score for each of them, seems very tiresome actually.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
They are good points, and I would probably include most of them in a review, but I never intended to go super in depth like that. It could be changed to say: "Those things should be taken into consideration", but a score for each of them, seems very tiresome actually.
Um... I mean, that's kind of the point of Judging? Having an objective analysis (i.e. using a graded rubric & numbers) of each entry? What exactly did you think being a Judge meant, if you don't mind my asking?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Oh hey, how'd I forget this? Alrighty, looks like we are good: @Rufus you want me to whip up a Poll while you get to Judging (when you can)?

You really need to calm down with this stuff, Kyrb.
What are you talking about?

Direfury said:
Anyway, this stuff has been dragging on, and I've been busy, so I'll just say this now. I kinda went crazy with the concept I chose. Check it out, I guess.
Lol, looking forward to it.

DOUBLE POST

[POLL] - Hero Design Challenge - MacGyver Mode

It's done.

@Ralle , @Rufus

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.