• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #9 - Theme Discussion

Should there be more than just four heroes?

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Yes but two of each attribute

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
All right, so here's what I've come up with.

#1 "A hero and his sidekick"
A fighter with his loyal companion who is at his side at every battle providing whatever help he give his master.
#2 "MOBA-like partnerships"
Creating two heroes that has each others backs while in battle, making a perfect duo to stand against an enemy.
#3 "Opposition"
Two heroes who's powers/skills counter each other.
#4 "A MOBA hero"
We all know of skins that can be found in most MOBAs, each skin giving the hero a small advantage like +stats and a change in design of the hero and his/her skill effects. In this choice participants must create a hero with variations that has small gifts for the hero. It can be +stats or an advantage while on the battlefield, of course you have to change the hero's appearance, skill designs, and title.
You can make as many variations as you can handle. Use whatever skin or model that looks similar to your base hero, to get as much change she will need to fit their alternate forms.
#5 "Master of the land"
A single hero that lords over an entire map. Getting quite the advantage as long as they are on their home base while also having their own strengths/capabilities/powers/skills. Homefield advantage where they have maximum use of their surroundings to raise the intensity of their power.
#6 "Chosen Ones"
Creating a champion of a certain god inheriting some of or most of the traits of their superior while having their own unique difference. It can be champions of the gods we know of today like Zeus and his lot. Or create your own god like Blizzard created a goddess; Elune.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Interesting idea.

Personally I'm a big fan of hero-creation, but when it can take months to accomplish a Hero Contest with just one Hero as the end-result, I worry that without some other kinds of constraints/expectations, a four-Hero Contest might be getting a little crazy.

(By 'constraints/expectations' I mean to make it a "smaller/easier" Contest in some other way. Like "no triggered abilities" (or "don't have to trigger abilities"), or something else)

Also, it would be good to specify the 'setting' these Heroes would be made for; standard melee Heroes are quite different from AoS/DotA/LoL Heroes, and both are different from Hero Arena or TD Heroes.

Level 10
This is a clearer version and will be the official post for this discussion of my proposal. This will be the one I will update, for now this is it.

Heroes are to create 1 hero for each attribute and make a counterpart to them.
Custom spells found here may be used, and the original spells may be triggered to give them a boost.
Custom Models/Skins/Icons found here may be used.
Requesting a resource for the contest is allowed.
Credits list must be given along with the submission, which will be posted here.
These heroes are for a tavern. A map will be provided by me. It is there where you will work. You may modify the tavern to fit your chosen theme, you may edit the area around the tavern as well. (The map could be a TEMPLATE or a MELEE MAP.)
You can add your own units either player units or enemy units for testing your heroes.
Heroes must have their own counterparts.
  • Intelligence 1-Intelligence 2
  • Agility 1-Agility 2
  • Strength 1-Strength 2
  • (Attribute)-(Same Attribute)
Try and make something extraordinarily opposing to each other and not just the fire and ice.

Example (Given Fire and Ice is the theme chosen by the participant)
  1. Intelligence
  • Fire Mage--Frost Mage
  1. Agility
  • Fire Ranger--Frost Hunter
  1. Strength
  • Burning Gladiator--Frozen Warrior
  1. Any Attribute
  • Hero--Counterpart
I might make it four heroes, the fourth being any attribute as long as it has it's counterpart like above.
Dates (Beginning-End) is not available yet.

Other details I seem to forgot might have to be told to me so I can add them here, if they are important for this mini-contest.

Any form of resource found here are allowed to be used. Coding, Triggers, Dummies and stuff like that is allowed as long as it follows site rules.
For more information on a specific subject concerning this, ask me.

Last edited:
Level 10
I believe that a new hero contest should follow the older contests. This means:
1. A single hero
2. A overarching theme, cast from a poll in the submission section

The reasons for that are simple:

1. Quality over quantity. Creating of the concept, selection of the used revources, combination of them, scripting abilities from scratch (since the novelty of the concept can get rough) are all in all time consuming activities. It is also better for the judges, sinfe they can directly compare
2. a contest without a strict concept is hard to keep together/ compare. Things like Elements/Sci Fy/others are reasonable. But first and foremost, a poll should decide about that, since people will only attend on something that they find being interesting.

ISL

ISL

Level 13
This seems to be stagnated. How long have it been since the last Hero Contest? lol

Idea #1 - Model-Based

We had a model-based contest before, but it was about single spells. (Zephyr)
The latest Paired Modeling/Texturing Contest brought us some neat models. Turning them into playable heroes would be legendary.

Tavern Hero.

Idea #2 - RPG Class

Think of a playable hero class (that you would actually add to your game),
And create it in Warcraft 3.

I honestly think that this one should be something more than a 'tavern hero for a melee game', and that it should be designed for a hero-based RPG map where you don't have an army to control, but only 1 hero (and possibly pets).
This one can easily become overcomplicated, but deep gameplay and playstyle, along with abilities which combine well with each other is what it should be judged for after all.

Numbers(Dmg/Heal) can be easily adjusted for this contest; Up to 6 abilities.

Idea #3 - WoW legends.

Pick any notable character from any moment in Warcraft timeline and provide it with a set of abilities made by you. BBOOOOONNESSTOOOOORRMMM

Tavern Hero.

This seems to be stagnated. How long have it been since the last Hero Contest?

IIRC, last one was last year. Even that got problems along the way and barely reached destination.

@Rence Kristoff

Why delete? Just change the thread's overall presented ideas and improve on what you can.

And hero creation contest is basically the same as Hero Contest. Hence why I changed the name months ago.

Level 10
Easiest I can think of is A hero and his sidekick. Heroes that have each other's backs like maybe a tank and a healer, a warrior and an archer.

There is this other thing, making a hero that has variations, with each variation getting a different advantages from the map while having the option to change appearances and spell effect themes.

Level 12
That's one option, but there are many more possibilities:
  • A coward trickster hero with shadowmeld and traps
  • A summoner hero that let's his spawns fight for him (a la Rexxar)
  • A backline healer
  • A ward user
The whole point is being a bit more creative. Sure, you can have a mage with a low mana+low cooldown "basic" ability, but you can try making something without that ;)

ISL

ISL

Level 13
The whole point is being a bit more creative. Sure, you can have a mage with a low mana+low cooldown "basic" ability, but you can try making something without that ;)
At least one spell which could be used frequently is needed for a hero to be interesting fun to play, especially a hero with no auto-attacks.

Otherwise it'd be like a Tauren Chieftain with no mana... and no attacks... :confused:

A hero who just runs around being able to do absolutely nothing, waiting for their abillities to go off cooldowns or to get enough mana to do something, is it fun?

Yeah, such an ability shouldn't necessarily be a simple fireball skill-shot, but it must have low manacost and low(/average) cooldown.

EDIT: By the way, a good example here is (Cho')Gall from Hots. The hero who can't attack (and walk by himself) and who has to rely on his devastating spells.
His abilities (especially Q) have low cd, and the hero needs no mana(!).

As a result, he is very fun to play, especially with a friend.

Last edited:
Level 10
While reading your two posts, I got another idea. A single hero that lords an entire map. Using the maps' environment as an advantage for combat while having strengths of his own.
Another idea which I don't like that much (but still thought of posting) making a champion of a certain god. It can be the gods that we know of today like Zeus and the like or create their own like Blizzard created Elune

I'll change the first post or whatever I marked as the real proposal later. I'll just keep a copy of the original for later use.

Last edited:
Level 10
#4 was quite fun for me. I tried making a quick intelligence hero. The alternate form was given a little bonus to intelligence points and a look that is completely the opposite of the default "skin"

If somehow my favored #4 is mysteriously chosen, can the heroes they make have only 3 active abilities alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.