1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Hero Contest #8 - Paired Artist & Coder

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Kyrbi0, Jul 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefan.K

Stefan.K

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Some wip I bring, as I said. Any suggestions about improvement? Supposed to have shaman's animations.

Attached Files:

2. Quilnez

Quilnez

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Naice! Keep it up!

Btw, I wonder is it allowed to ask people for help to test our spells? I mean, ask multiple persons..

3. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Hello, here is our password-protected submission.

When the contest closes, the git repository will be made public, and the password to the archive, released.

@Freddyk will follow as well with our submission description/table in non-teaser format ( :p @Kyrbi0 )

Attached Files:

4. Tank-Commander

Tank-Commander

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Seems a bit silly to need to specifically put the map in a pastebin - makes more sense to me to just attach it to the end of an entry post as with other contests.
    That aside A.R. and I are nearly ready to make our entry post, just need a few things finished off and some balancing and we'll be good to go. Will probably make the post on monday just to perfect everything though it's certainly in an enterable state right now - I'm very pleased with how it has all turned out

5. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    As per the Contest Rules, the Team('s Artist) must make at least one (1) but no more than three (3) custom art contributions to the Hero entry (list in the first post).

That does not include a few things you can do "for free", including a Hero Icon & Hero Glow & such (again, in the first post).

[Hero Spell Icons] is one of the options for the 1-3 "art things", but is not a requirement (we aren't, as you saw in my Design WIP).

Wonderful to hear. : )

Sure, yeah. Testers don't count as "team-mates". Just be careful.

That's wonderful to hear.

If you ever Host a Contest, I think you'll find it's not so silly; it's a real hassle to try & filter through an entire topic (some of these popular Contests get upwards of 10-20 pages), searching for the "last/final" post someone made... When instead, you just have a pile of labelled PMs sitting in your Inbox, easy pickings.

The Pastebin is just a tool; if we could attach stuff to PMs we wouldn't even need to bother. But it really helps me out, so I appreciate it.

~~~

Woah there, alright. I mean, I don't love it when Contests stretch on into perpetuity, but extensions can be useful.

It's comforting, though, to see them go un-needed for once, sure.

(@PROXY where are you...)

Y'know, that's a weird new rule that I really don't understand. As far as I'm concerned, don't worry about it (in part because it isn't consistent across the art disciplines). If a moderator yells at you to do so, then sure.

Hey know, there's more than Humans in the Alliance; I can envision a kick-awexome Neutral Dwarf (a rogue Engineer, or a beer-guzzling Brewer, or a musical Bard, or explorative Prospector, etc), or a variety of Neutral Elves (an elusive Waywatcher, a quiet Disciple, etc)... Heck, maybe even a Gnome.

And among Humans... Well there are lots of reasons for a Human to 'go rogue' and consider mercenary work. Bandits sure, but what about Bounty Hunters (ooh, patterned after Boba Fett) and Shadow Priests and Duelists and ... Well I've gone on long enough.

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide. : )

Very interesting. I like that he has a new face & hair-style (compared to other Humans). He seems plenty generic enough to be just about anything you want. My only worry so far, looking at it, is that he has an awful lot of 'lines' in the chosen textures. Just very broken up, aesthetically. None of the chosen textures look bad individually, I think; just altogether it's jarring.

O....k. I mean, like, why?

Also, please be sure to PM it to me. Posts in the thread are nice I suppose but unnecessary & don't count.

6. Tank-Commander

Tank-Commander

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Right, except we could just link the post in your inbox and the problems solved and we don't have to worry about pastebin expiry and everybody else also has access to the entry if they want to look at it at any later date (without having to then never delete the pastebin) - the part I considered "a bit silly" was specifically the requirement to pastebin it, rather than to send a link/notification to you

7. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the clarification.

Well with the addition of the PMed link, that becomes a viable solution too (though I don't understand the concern for Pastebin expiration; all the maps are always uploaded into a .zip & uploaded to the Poll thread, so nothing's lost).

That Rule existed on the Wc3C.net Hero Contests (which is where a majority of the framework came from for this one), and largely because those Contests were always run by moderators/administrators, who could see into the Pastebin at will & go through entries & such.

Perhaps, then, if everyone doesn't mind, I'll just add that option to the Rules in the first post (create either a Pastebin or a Post, & PM a link to the Host). It's not a big deal enough for me to go all crazy colors & big words on you guys, methinks.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  8. Freddyk

Freddyk

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    While I think it's a good idea to submit contests entries when they consist of a single ressource (model or skin contest for example), I think it's not a good idea to submit ressources independently for this particular contest.
    The reason being that each ressource does not necessarily have the level of quality required to be an independent ressource (for example my icons are not hand-drawn, and my SFX are numerous but very simple)

9. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    This. In my mind it's a "whole package" kinda deal, and where does all 'this' go?

Closest thing I've got to a clue would be as a big Bundle in the Spell section (since it's a Hero which is mostly Spells, and code for Spells, and SFX/icon for Spells (I have not forgotten @Kam :<...))... But even then, it seems a stretch.

~~~

I am getting ever more excited for our entry. I decided to hedge my bets & include "config" files that explains how to modify the abilities (using GUI but mostly OE stuff so there was nowhere to put it previously), and in so doing discovered a way to work around an OE-limitation that I had previously just resigned myself to! Now my spell is even better. Looks snazzy, too; I need to get Gifcam going one of these (last few) days.

I'm kinda frustrated with the Stormform ability. It has some non-working Data fields that are making it hard for me to determine how it should work, ultimately (that, coupled with my total inability to see obvious balance issues).

Now I'm just hopin' to hear from PROXY (been a little while...)

10. Quilnez

Quilnez

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I don't know am I just sucks at melee map (actually yes lol), but doesn't this turtle map give a lot of disadvantages to melee heroes since it's small and narrow everywhere? Why can't we use a larger and wider map?

11. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    As a fellow "melee map sucker", I have no clue. There are some wide spots in each of the bases & near the center, right?

It's funny you should say that about the map; I've been trying to balance one of my hero's abilities and have found that the way all the green creep camps are set up, it's potentially crazy-easy to level up the Hero due to one of his abilities.

It's possible to use another map in future Contests, but this map was chosen as a nice middle-ground between "too small" and "too big", has a Tavern, and the color scheme isn't anything crazy like Icecrown, Barrens, etc. Suggestions in the future will be appreciated.

12. Quilnez

Quilnez

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Sorry, I shouldn't have complained about it here. My bad...

13. Stefan.K

Stefan.K

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Hey, guys, would anyone mind if my entry(model) is stay uploaded in models section? I asked KyrbiO and he said it's my choice, but if anyone disagree I can take it down.

14. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Contestants should upload the map on the actual thread, and send a direct link to the post to Kyrbi0. Most people, like myself, do not like keeping random stuff in the pastebin. It would be a shame if people later on the future wanted to see the contest entries, only to find that the pastebin entry was deleted.

I don't understand why you feel the need to do something like that.

15. Pyrogasm

Pyrogasm

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    FWIW Tinker can pretty much solo green and orange camps if you max Factory. I'd test to see how close his clear speed is to Tinker's and balance around that.

16. Freddyk

Freddyk

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Hi everybody,
    Here is the playable map for our entry:

This is Not a Team's

Sea Druid

Presented by Freddyk and Cokemonkey11

Sea Druid is a titanic water-dwelling protector of the depths, which specializes
    in supporting friendly troops. His flexible combination of spells allows him to
    react to any scenario.

Sea Druid's medium-low cooldowns and spell-augmenting abilities make spell-weaving
    - attacking in between occasional spell casts - a powerful play style. This
    naturally opportunistic hero benefits from on-demand disrupts and an execute
    mechanic.

Sea Druid's few augment properties lead to an ability kit that's easy to learn but
    provides many possibilities to experiment with. For example, try casting Mass
    Brainwash with a large army outside of battle to guarantee the secondary attack-
    speed bonus, before sieging your opponent's base.

[​IMG] Sea Druid: Mystical Hero, adept at disrupting units and simultaneously buffing allied
    units while debuffing enemy ones. Can learn Geyser, Ink, Scald, and Mass Brainwash.

Attacks land and air units.

[​IMG] Geyser: 125 Mana. 8 Second Cooldown.

Causes a powerful geyser to erupt in the target area, launching enemy ground units into
    the air, disabling them for the duration they are airborne and dealing 80/120/160 damage.
    Units near the center are damaged for 30/40/50% extra.

Scald Bonus: Affected units are scalded, dealing an extra 0.5% bonus damage for each 1%
    health missing. The cooldown on Geyser resets if any of them are slain.
    [​IMG] Ink: 75 Mana. 8 Second Cooldown.

Target enemy unit and up to 2 nearby enemy units are blasted with an ink spray which
    blinds them, causing attacks to miss for 3/4/5 seconds. If the target is a friendly unit,
    the effect instead heals them for 80/120/160 hit points.

Scald Bonus: The effect reaches one additional unit. If the targets are enemies, the ink
    corrodes their armor, reducing it by 10 for the duration. If the targets are allies, they
    instead receive a 10 armor bonus for 3/4/5 seconds.
    [​IMG] Scald: 40/30/20 Mana. 3 Second Cooldown.

Instant cast. Empowers the Sea Druid, causing its next action to have a bonus effect.

If the next action is a basic attack, it deals 20/40/60% bonus damage and the victim is
    stunned for 0.1/0.3/0.5 seconds.
    [​IMG] Mass Brainwash: 140 Mana. 90 Second Cooldown.

Sea Druid channels for up to 6 seconds, sapping the brains of enemy units within 900
    range, progressively reducing their move speed and attack speed from 40% to 60%. If the
    Sea Druid completes channeling, he releases a psychic wave that empowers nearby allied
    units with 100% bonus attack speed for 5 seconds. When the channelling ceases, afflicted
    enemy units regain their speed over 6 seconds.

Scald bonus: for the duration of the channelling, the Sea Druid creates a field of steam
    that pushes away enemies that get close to it.

Attached Files:

17. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Really? I feel like most people use the Pastebin to an insane degree; I'm only just starting down that path.

Sure... Except all the entries will be zipped up all nice & uploaded to the Poll thread, for all to see, test & enjoy, for time immemorial. Nothing will be 'lost'.

Shhh, it's ok, he's in his happy place.

See, this is why I need you around, man.

Of course, excellent point. I'm a loser-player, but even I can hold a stop-watch & then gauge from there. Thanks.

DANGIT! He did do the full write-up! Played me like a fiddle!

Criminy that's... That's good. And a little daunting.

18. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That works! The pastebin requirement still needs to go :p

19. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It did!... As an option. You can use a post, others can use a Pastebin, anyone can use whichever they want.

20. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I agree, no reason to keep entries at a personal pastebin. That can be deleted anytime, then users wouldn't be able to see the entries at the thread archive, only the poll. I fail to see a reason for such ._.

Well then, as I understood, we're to upload ours to a post once it's done :)

Hey, are we able to upload non-hand-drawn icons for the contest? Because I've been having a hard time trying to hand-draw some decent icons.. a recolor would do fine for us. xD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.