• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #3 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Either xD.Schurke judges the last two contestants or we get someone completely different to judge.

OR WE CAN JUST MOVE ON AND GET ON WITH OUR FUCKING LIVES.

STOP LEADING THIS CONVERSATION TO NOWHERE AND MORE BULLSHIT.

Seriously, it's only a contest and it is not going to affect anyone's lives in any shape or form realistically. I'm pretty sure people only participate for fun and not to win.

YES I KNOW I AM A HYPOCRITE, SO STFU AND GTFO.
Can we get a lock on this to prevent more trollin'?

p.s if you comment under me that includes what I am saying UNLESS YOU ARE A MOD, I'll just report you without hesitation. Don't need more stupid spam that's already been SAID ENOUGH. AND IF YOU JUST WANT TO INSULT SOMEONE ELSE OR DEBATE MORE, I'LL REPORT YOU TOO. SO GTFO.

I hate when people try to sound mature and say "let's stop this discussion, it's leading nowhere"
Contests are for fun, but these things kinda ruin the fun to some.

The truth is that anything that happens in the hive can be ignored and everybody 'get along with their lives'. But what's the point of having put effort on you entry and get it ignored by the judge?

Level 6
What if instead of trying to judge him which would take time and be a mess if he won (What would you do the previous winner?) we could just give him an honorable mention and maybe a few rep points. Its not quite as good as getting a fair shot at the competition but it would hopefully end the issue without too much duress on ether side.

Level 1
What if instead of trying to judge him which would take time and be a mess if he won (What would you do the previous winner?) we could just give him an honorable mention and maybe a few rep points. Its not quite as good as getting a fair shot at the competition but it would hopefully end the issue without too much duress on ether side.

That actually sounds like a rather good idea, but i don't think everybody would like agree with it :p

IMO that's still kinda lame. And if the results are rearranged and Pharaoh ends up winning it, it won't be a mess, it will actually stop being a mess by the fact that no one was unfairly disqualified.

I like this idea.

Level 16
I like this idea.

So in clearer terms, the disqualifications are being upheld? If the disqualifications are deemed correct by the arena moderation, then skip the honorable mention and stuff.

Because it either has to be (a) the two contestants correctly being disqualified, resulting in no awards to them whatsoever; or (b) the two contestants being reinstated into the compo, have their entries judged and then dish out the original awards (if any).

I really don't think we should have something in-between. It sets a bad precedent.

So in clearer terms, the disqualifications are being upheld? If the disqualifications are deemed correct by the arena moderation, then skip the honorable mention and stuff.

Because it either has to be (a) the two contestants correctly being disqualified, resulting in no awards to them whatsoever; or (b) the two contestants being reinstated into the compo, have their entries judged and then dish out the original awards (if any).

I really don't think we should have something in-between. It sets a bad precedent.

I'm not really on either side of the argument here - okay, yes, there was a misunderstanding and xD.Schurke should've notified someone to fix the first post and make the rule change more clear, but on the other hand you can't expect him to rejudge something half a year later. This might not be as much of a problem if The_Reborn_Devil hadn't taken forever to "judge" only to tell me that he wasn't judging any more after waiting ages for him.

I like the in between option because on one hand, the "winners" in the first post don't want to lose their awards because two contestants didn't "follow the rules", but on the other hand those two contestants don't want to completely lose out on possibly winning due to "not following the rules".

Note the quote marks.

Level 17
This is one thing I do not know - why did he have to judge half a year later? Couldn't he have just judged all the contestants at once and be done with such things?

Level 16
I also attempt to be on neither side, but this 'in between' solution is worrying.

As a damage control it is as good as it gets. But as a rule-setting precedent (to future contests) it is nowhere.

If there is a similar problem occurring in a future contest, the persons involved could have just referred back to this incident as a precedent and award their contests multiple 'winners'.

The arena moderation must take a side, however unjust it may seem. Either uphold the disqualification or have the disqualified entries judged.

I also attempt to be on neither side, but this 'in between' solution is worrying.

As a damage control it is as good as it gets. But as a rule-setting precedent (to future contests) it is nowhere.

If there is a similar problem occurring in a future contest, the persons involved could have just referred back to this incident as a precedent and award their contests multiple 'winners'.

The arena moderation must take a side, however unjust it may seem. Either uphold the disqualification or have the disqualified entries judged.

I agree but I would really like to just stop the drama in this thread. :\

Definitely.
How about a poll? I vote for judging those two disqualified entries.

Who's gonna judge them?

Level 9
Well, back from a long rest from war3 to find a whole pot o' drama.

I've read through the whole thread so far, and here are my thoughts.

This may seem biased since i was a victim, but i will try to make this as unbiased and concise as possible. Schurke should have notified pharaoh and I about the rule change, as I think my hero had already been entered, and especially pharaoh, since he specifically pm'ed schurke about the rule two days prior. Even if he didn't want to do that, he should have asked someone to change the first page. It was my understanding that the official rules were to be found on the first page. So why didn't i search for judge posts in the thread? Because from what i understood, the official rules were on the first page, not inside the thread! Reading schurke's replies to the whole mess, i find that he is alone in his argument, and is acting rather childish about the whole thing. Just because you are the judge doesn't give you final say here (save for actual judging). This is hiveworkshop, not a courtroom.

On a personal note, I would really like my hero to be judged. This was my first contest here. Due to the contest theme, that hero is an embodiment of my personal style, and it really means something to me. I know that i put a lot of time, sweat and tears into it, and i'm sure pharaoh did too. I don't care who judges it, i just don't want him to go to waste.

EDIT: Clarification; I don't really care if i win, i just want a review, and to know where i am in the standings.

Last edited:
Level 7
My 2 cents

1. First and foremost, congratulations to all the people who put in time, skill and effort to create their entries for this contest. I do believe everyone has come out of it a better modder.

2. It's not very oftenly stated in this thread, so.. thanks to (both) judges for their time and energy spent judging this contest. Some people don't seem to understand (yet) just how few hours there are in a day. Without judges there's no contest so once again thank you.

3. That said, I do NOT think 6 months is an acceptable delay for this kind of contest. Of course people have lives and even judges have higher priorities sometimes, but somebody higher up really ought to have stepped in here. Maybe after the first 2 months or so ?..

4. To our steadfast remaining judge: would it be very great trouble to give, even summarily, reviews for (some of) the disqualified entries as well? Remember, this contest exists to let our work be examined and rated by competent and fair reviewers. If I were in their shoes, I would consider even an off-record review a nice gift indeed. How 'bout it, Santa ? :)

5. On a personal note, this is the last message I submit on the Hive Workshop forums. Working on a map for half a year and then having it rejected from the site's Map section without any explanation whatsoever and having my questions and messages thoroughly ignored for another half year, leave me with no desire to repeat the experience. I'm moving on to greener pastures

All the best and happy modding

5. On a personal note, this is the last message I submit on the Hive Workshop forums. Working on a map for half a year and then having it rejected from the site's Map section without any explanation whatsoever and having my questions and messages thoroughly ignored for another half year, leave me with no desire to repeat the experience. I'm moving on to greener pastures

Make a thread in admin contact, we'll see if we can sort that out for you

Level 7
Finally!
And congratulation to the winners!

Im really glad about my own judging cuz i was about to give up but at the last minute i thought of linking the passive with the ultimate and added that crappy spell (which is terrible but i had no time :D).

- Again in you 'SoulTear'-Trigger you start a non perodic timer with 0.00 duration, I don't get this, why not just calling
the method?

It doesnt work if u call the method :(

Level 16
Finally!
And congratulation to the winners!

Im really glad about my own judging cuz i was about to give up but at the last minute i thought of linking the passive with the ultimate and added that crappy spell (which is terrible but i had no time :D).

It doesnt work if u call the method :(

Hm for me it worked, sure that u called the method from the
right struct instance?

Level 1
To Sum this whole thing up, Life is unfair, but ya gotta move on and learn from it... Yeah so Pharoah_ may have got the crappy end of the stick, and it must suck for him, but im sure he can move on and continue doing what he does. And dont go screaming the judges for it, as a judge ya gotta be strict, ya cant be so lenient otherwise there is no rules in the end.

Level 9
Direct, this isn't so much as retribution for a perhaps unfair judging. This is about setting a precedent for future contests. If this problem isn't acted decisively on, there remains the possibility of it happening again.

Status
Not open for further replies.