• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #3 - Avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
@ Kingz

I can open and run it in JNGP. I love that ulti of yours.

Goodluck to all

Updated the entries.

Kingz, here is your map, re compiled, hope it helps.

I am going to bed now, I will add all new entries tomorrow morning. Remember to still vm or pm me to add your entry, just to make it easier and safer

Goodluck people

Attachments

• HC#3 submission[Kingz].w3x
    293.3 KB · Views: 308
Level 25
Just to notify CODE judges:

The IDDS is breaking by itself, it is not my fault, i talked to Berbanog about it and it seems that using ArmorUtils() and DAMAGE_TYPE_IGNORED breaks the system.

Hope this won't affect my score big time since it ain't my fault, the system broke itself on it's own.

Have fun testing it though.

Berbanog can explain this better than me since he found this out, and i thank him a lot for it.

Level 22
It's not a system made by you, so it's not anything wrong with your coding, but you did however choose to use a system which got bugs. But if it only happens when you use DAMAGE_TYPE_IGNORED, then just tell people to not use that and it will be fine I guess.

Maybe -0.5? Maybe less.

Level 7
I hereby confirm that my entry is the one I want judged :)

So if we use someone else's work and it's bugged, penalty is smaller than if we wrote our own and it's bugged? That's my understanding about the bugs controversy anyway, to be honest I kinda hope I missed something.

Best Luck to all anyway

Level 22
That bug was really small and it wasn't his fault, but he did choose a faulty system.
If he had made that system then I might have given him a -1 instead, but also a small bonus in coding for making it himself. Actually, if he hadn't told us we might not have noticed it, not that I recommend keeping bugs hidden from us. The fact that he told us is good and it makes him look like someone you know play fair.

Level 37
I can confirm that the link in the first post is the correct map.

I noticed my hero has Harvest ability, which it's not supposed to have. I forgot to remove it. The ability reserves one icon slot, and then one ability will not show up, which really sucks.

If it is still possible, change the link to the attachment here. Nothing else is changed, just the Harvest unit ability is removed. I can take a punishment for that in the final score, just please change the link

Attachments

• Hero Contest 3 - Maker.w3x
    303.5 KB · Views: 381
Level 7
Get to know each other?

Hi all, may I offer an idea? If it's off topic or plain moronic, just say so:)

I'm new both to WarEdit and Hive contests, and I'm curious about the people who took part in this contest, as participants or judges: want to say a few lines about yourselves as modders, now that avatars are done? It would be nice to sort of get to know each other before the scores start flying around.

Well, I guess I should start, so..

I've started modding War3 in January 2010, because I had an idea about a gameplay mod and WarEdit seemed the only way in which I could see it done without having to make a new game altogether. I started of course with GUI triggers and switched gradually to Jass over a couple of months. Still learning something new.. about each week, averagely. Besides working on my mod, this contest's entry is the first real project I've done in WorldEdit and I hope it won't turn out too bad :)

Level 25
I see no problem in getting to know each other.

For myself, i started out like a noob, got drawn in by some nice spells in the spell section.

First chalanged xD.Schurke on a spell challenge (which was fun!), i lost it but that is how i met xD.Schurke, a great coder and a good friend :D

Then i released several crap GUI spells in the spell section and slowly started learning Indexing.

After some time i started participating in mini spell contests (i think i participated in 2 of them) and i wrote a tutorial about GUI indexing and a index recycling method ;)

During that time i helped in the spell section a lot, some of the people here may remember that, i essentially did what Maker does today, look through people's codes and give advice and hints on what and how to improve stuff.

Time passed i learned jass, started using it more often, and in time i lost the passion which made me review all those spells in the spell section.

Now im a bit lazy to enter large type contest but im helping Teuncreemers on his project Oakwood and may help anyone that asks me for help.

Now im mostly lazy to do stuff but i find time for people like xD.Schurke(i am still waiting for a rematch ;)...),Teun,Eccho and all my friends.

I had my differences with this site and some of it's members but most of the people here treated me nicely.

Hope that is good enough for ya :D

That is the short version that is.

Level 9
Here's my story

I got into war3 and played around the bnet custom map list, but it wasn't long before I started making stuff in the world editor. I was amazed by the level of control you have over the game, something that so far only gmod has topped. I started out making tanks that shot lots of missiles, and extremely overpowered battleships made out of object editor stuff, the noob phase we all go through. Then I began to learn triggering. It was my first real try at coding anything (i was young when i started), and I liked it. I played war3 on and off after that; I just started to really get into it during the fall of last year, a year or two after the above scenario. Maker has really taught me how to code things well, I double check for leaks, MUI, and efficiency constantly because of his help on some the systems I've tried my hand at. This was the first contest I've tried, and once again, i couldn't get away from that technology theme I've stuck to since the beginning. It's been fun, hope to do another contest soon!

Level 13
OK, I edited post. Here is my story.
I started like noob. Just played single player maps, and that single player maps in LAN with my friend: _Shadow_.
Then he is discovered WE. He is tryed to do something in object manager. His first object is being ultra tower(name all says). He isn't tryed to learn triggers or anything other, now he don't know's triggering. But i have joined on hive before 2 years. First year i have been busy, and offline on hive, but from 2009 to 2010 im online here, i have helped some people. Post two spells. Joined on this contest. But i learn to trigger all this time, I learn how to index etc. (ADVANCED THINGS)

Level 5
Hmm, guess I'll post a (short) story.
I wanted to get to know Warcraft lore better, so I bought Warcraft 3. I never knew about the World Editor until I read about it on Wowiki. I always wanted to make games, so I decided to give it a try. I started out making maps with a whole bunch of units, no triggers, and no terrain. Then I started to learn more about triggers, and then terrain. I'm still not that good at either, but I'm getting better.

Since everyone is using Hidden, i'll do it as well... nice idea!

Well! yeah, ever since WCIII came out, I've played it. And in all that time, I've longed to get behind the mechanics, then a friend of mine started out editing 'liquid TD' (which is unprotected) just for fun, using only the object editor, then i learned of the editor, and kept at learning it. And here i am, many many years later, and i have perfected my GUI (well, i haven't found anything i can't do) And took an aggressive stance towards Jass. People hate me for it so much, when i say that i don't like it. I've NEVER found anything i couldn't do with GUI, except maybe, some delays here and there, and some annoying leak fixing. So GUI's all i need. I've created tonnes of maps, but I've generally been too lazy to leak fix it, and launch it... i get annoyed with that crap XD Oh well, so the last year, I've made huge and elaborate systems... but never really uploaded any, because of that stupid leak fix rule... (i leak fix anything that's REALLY leaky, but a point here and there... SFX is always removed :D) So I just use the systems myself! And post them at more personal forums with lower standards...

Okay that was alot, and it ended rather abruptly... well it's a leak i'll never fix, i guess :D read on if you want the story of my entry.

With my entry I've tried to use clever object editing, rather than elaborate systems. Simplicity. And good looks. I should've redone the passive, in retrospect. oh well, it fits, and is balanced.

To sum up, I've laid weight on:

Looks.
Balance.
Fitting to the theme.
Simplicity.

... I write alot :D

Level 24
Hi all, may I offer an idea? If it's off topic or plain moronic, just say so:)

I'm new both to WarEdit and Hive contests, and I'm curious about the people who took part in this contest, as participants or judges: want to say a few lines about yourselves as modders, now that avatars are done? It would be nice to sort of get to know each other before the scores start flying around.

Well, I guess I should start, so..

I've started modding War3 in January 2010, because I had an idea about a gameplay mod and WarEdit seemed the only way in which I could see it done without having to make a new game altogether. I started of course with GUI triggers and switched gradually to Jass over a couple of months. Still learning something new.. about each week, averagely. Besides working on my mod, this contest's entry is the first real project I've done in WorldEdit and I hope it won't turn out too bad :)

Interesting!

I started modding in 2004 (simple,uninteresting maps) ,I didn't had internet by that time, so I went to friends and stood all day and downloaded icons/models/skins/spells from ...er... I forgot the previous website name,something with Warcrat in its name. When Hive came up, I decided to join and get in touch with other modders and wow,it actually changed my life,to better or to worse ... :confused:

So,by the time I improved, there was a contest up - Hero Contest 1 !
I decided it was a great idea and made a hero. It was all good, but then I thought that my hero wasn't good enough so I've spent more time in front of the PC, manufacturing another one.

I finally made my first hero:
-Daria ( some girl I like in high-school ) ,Assailant !
I got second place at that contest ( because of some thievery )

Then there was the 2nd contest,last summer, I decided to give it a try but when I finished my hero, I gave up and never uploaded him !

I've joined Hive in 2007 and due to some ''events'' I left in 2009 ( but I log in from time to time ) . So I saw this contest and it convinced me to start again, so I gave it a try !

And now ... here I am :smile:

Level 17
Let me share a little about my self. I started playing around with the WE about 4 years ago. Always making some crappy game where you have a hero that has super strong finger of death abilities and a few other units. About a year later I learned how triggers work, then started to read tutorials about GUI triggers and began my first project, Titans (It was supposed to be the next big AoS :D, I am very very optimistic) I then began a spell factory to learn more.(Creating spells for other people is challenging and helps one learn) While doing the spell factory I met some other South African modders, that was pretty cool. I then decided to learn jass and vJass. I learned most of that from looking at stuff made by Silvenon.

Well yea, that's the story of my life.

Let me share a little about my self. I started playing around with the WE about 4 years ago. Always making some crappy game where you have a hero that has super strong finger of death abilities and a few other units. About a year later I learned how triggers work, then started to read tutorials about GUI triggers and began my first project, Titans (It was supposed to be the next big AoS :D, I am very very optimistic) I then began a spell factory to learn more.(Creating spells for other people is challenging and helps one learn) While doing the spell factory I met some other South African modders, that was pretty cool. I then decided to learn jass and vJass. I learned most of that from looking at stuff made by Silvenon.

Well yea, that's the story of my life.

Your story is almost exactly how it happened with me!

It all started about 5 years ago, when I was 9 years old. I loved wc3 as a game, and I used to play it a lot just on single player melee and campaigns. I was so crap, however, that I never could get past the first few levels of the orc campaign (on easy difficulty), and I was really happy the day I managed to beat a hard computer :p. One day, I was going to open wc3 through Start -> Program Files and discovered something I had never noticed before -- 'World Editor'. Wow, I thought! You can EDIT the game??!! I immediately opened it up, and I saw a blank map in front of me.

At first, I didn't have a clue how to do anything. I started fiddling around with some things like the terrain editor, then I discovered the unit panel. I also found the button called 'Test Map' and clicked it to see what it would do. To my surprise (and delight), Warcraft III opened up, and my little patch of grass with a footman on it was there! I was a natural :p.

From then on, I began to explore the various facets of the World Editor. I found the button 'Object Editor' and clicked it, and was presented with a sheet of words and numbers that meant nothing to me. To the left, I noticed the unit tree, which contained all the units I had been placing on the map earlier. I clicked on footman (I liked the footman :D) and the values on the right changed! After looking at them with some confusion for a while, I finally began to deduce what some of them meant.

I saw 'Stats - Max Health" and clicked on it. It was highlighted but nothing remarkable seemed to happen. I clicked it again. Nothing happened. In my frustration, I clicked it over and over until finally a chance fast double click made a box appear with a number in it and some control arrows. At that point unaware that you could click this and type something in, I pressed the up arrow and the number got bigger! I held it down until I was bored, and the number had risen to about 20,000. I pressed OK and the number next to 'Stats - Max Health' had changed! YES!

By this point, I was aware that you could change the player that owns the units you place. I made one of these uber-footmen for me and made a knight for the computer. I tested the map, and my footman's health didn't appear to be showing. WTF? I made him attack the enemy knight to experiment, and he killed it slowly, but didn't seem to take any damage himself. I had made my footman invulnerable! (or so I thought)

As I played around with the object editor, I found a hero unit -- the Archmage. I made him have a scale of about 50 and placed him on the map. He was HUGE! I increased his stats until I had the best hero evar, then put him in the middle of a melee map. He slaughtered everything. I thought I was so amazing to be able to do that. I spent ages making all sorts of heroes, from giant sheep to tiny Pit Lords. I wasted maybe a month of my life like this.

Eventually, I discovered the trigger editor. I was very confused. I though events were actions and vice versa and I had no f*cking clue what conditions did. But alas, I was saved -- I discovered WarChasers! I slowly learned triggering from that until I knew enough to experiment and learn by myself. This was about the time I discovered TheHelper.net, with its amazing World Editor Tutorials! They taught me what I couldn't learn by myself, such as what leaks are and how to avoid them.

I made my way to wc3sear.ch, too, as this site was then, and learnt more from that. I loved the vast amounts of amazing models and triggers and spells by other people that I could find there. It was way better than The Helper. One day, wc3sear was gone! GONE! In its place was this stupid new site, HiveWorkshop.com :p. Soon, however, I learned that The hive was in fact, better than wc3sear, and also discovered the forums. I could ask for help now!

And so I became an amateur triggerer of the hive, then under the name of 'Bubba Ex'. I made a few systems and spells and a minimap in GUI(which all got rejected :p), before discovering JASS. I learned JASS slowly, the concepts were hard for me at first, but I got there eventually. Now I found Silvenon's Knockback tutorial, and I learned vJass easily (by this time I been dabbling in C++ outside of wc3). I offered to help a few people in some projects, and got added to the team, but then became bored of wc3 for a while, and I went unactive. When I wanted to come back to the hive, I felt I had let some people down, so I made a new account so no-one would know what I had done :p. I had barely any posts or rep anyway, and I wasn't well-known, so making a new account didn't set me back in any way.

In my new account (Element of Water), I began being awesome, and that is how I still am today :D. The end.

(Woah, that got a lot longer than I expected/thought :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.