1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Hero Contest #3 - Avatar

Discussion in 'Submissions Archive' started by Freyleyes, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Element of Water

Element of Water

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Do you even know vJass/Zinc? If not, you probably don't stand a chance - I'm planning some spells that would be near-impossible to make in GUI or even vanilla Jass.

2. Aspard

Aspard

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    ][_,([])][_,ed. It's a joke, right? :D About not even leaving a chance?

3. xD.Schurke

xD.Schurke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    i think Zinc is not allowed

4. Element of Water

Element of Water

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Err, no.

I don't see that anywhere in the rules, and why shouldn't it be allowed? It works with normal JassHelper.

And if it's an issue with the judging (judges don't know Zinc), you can always force a vJass syntax error to get the code to come up in vJass.

5. Aspard

Aspard

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Uhm, well... Then, explain please, why do you think, that your using of technology not everyone possesses will lead to your beating them? I don't see any judjing criteria stating that super-duper Jass spells will get more points for coding than good GUI spells.

And if you think that you'll beat shit of us by providing cool spells - then it's just a vainglory. Nobody knows, whos idea will be coolest.

Jass has only a small plus in a coding part, but it doesn't influence in any way on four other parts of judjing criteria, dude. We have a proverb in our country: "Vainglory punishes itself" :)

And I'm not sure, but probably this site rule forbids using Zinc?

6. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Zinc is as much supported as cJass is... In other words, not supported afaIk.

7. Element of Water

Element of Water

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Seriously, other people will too. I highly doubt a GUI user will win the contest.
    http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/site-discussion-97/zinc-resources-acceptable-146328/

It's not against the site rules :p

8. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If the judges can't test the Zinc lagnauge, it's not Element of Water's problem actually. As far as this language performs well and does the job, it should be acceptable.

9. xD.Schurke

xD.Schurke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    it's not about the judging, I know Zinc and it's features etc. but Zinc is just not stated in the rules:

10. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's a copy paste from the previous contest; Zinc was not really known back then.

11. xD.Schurke

xD.Schurke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    there specially for you c&p spell rules:

12. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    I knew earlier or later there will be a contest like this... since my last try to join a contest was a major fiasko, I thing I'll pass this time... altough theme is really simple and fun...

13. Duruka

Duruka

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't know Jass, but I'm not here to win. Just for fun and practice.

14. Element of Water

Element of Water

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    The rules still need to be updated, obviously, because Zinc resources most definitely are allowed, if you'd read my link a few posts ago.

Fine by me.

15. xD.Schurke

xD.Schurke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    EoF... this thread does not state that Zinc is allowed if you can read, Poot just said that there is no reason to disallow it. But the spellsection rules still do't mention Zinc so it's not accepted as a script format (officialy)

16. Freyleyes

Freyleyes

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Jass and vJass is indeed more powerful, but I can assure you that GUI users can create awesome spells. Even if you have all the power in the world, but no use for it, its still useless. So yea, without an good idea, your spell will still suck even if it's vJass.

I am sorry, but what is Zinc

Edit

I see no problem with this so called Zinc. But we should ask the judges and PY as well.

17. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Why do people keep writing my name in all caps? >__>

18. krisserz

krisserz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    py, you didn`t answer ;p

19. Element of Water

Element of Water

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I think that's a pretty unquestionable YES.

PS: You have to remember that this was when Poot was "Site Director" or whatever, so if he said they're acceptable, they're acceptable...

20. Deaod

Deaod

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I dont like to be a party pooper here, but none of you have even tried to challange most of the points i brought up. How about you give me some good answers and try to convince me? Let me reiterate my points for you:

• Reimplementing large systems is tiresome and entirely unnecessary. I hope i dont have to explain why.
    • Minimum complexity of code should be a goal for most people. That doesnt mean you should sacrifice originality and gameplay for simplicity. The hundredth Fireball spell is neither original nor appealing.
    • Previous contests are irrelevant, since the changes i propose (now that the judging criteria have already changed) dont radically change the contest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.