• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #3 - Avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Then don't use TimerUtils and start using an indexed struct system.
Way better in most situations. And did you notice the "one day" part I added?
If you're too lazy then I can change it to at least 75% of the finished hero is made by you.
Happeh noaw?

Can this contest start soon?

Level 25
Did all of them have that much detail?

No because you know what?
People want to join for the fun of it, and guess what some people use GUI...

I seriously think this is a thing to be discussed outside this thread and away from this contest, make a thread, contact the admins or w/e but this contest was about to start already but this debate seems to be prolonging the starting of it which in fact isn't good for anyone...

Id rather cut my wrists than redo what has already been done.

A bit dramatic about this are we?

Level 22
Ok, to finish the discussion about large scripts.

Large systems like entity engines and caster systems should not be used. Small systems like TimerUtils and Knockback systems are allowed, however, 75% of the final product must be made entirely by you.

Any objections?

Level 11
Of course, not! Also the host of the contest has told his opinion already. Those, who don't want to participate due to lack of possibilities, can just leave this topic and don't spoil the process for others. IMO.

Change 75% to 50%, then it might be more reasonable.

Either that, or just allow any "Scripts", but limit usage of "Systems". Seriously, I see no reason not to be able to use whatever scripts we want to use...

50%? Really? It's like the half job is made by you and the rest half by several members that submitted scripts and systems. So, tell me, isn't THIS considered as a teamwork, which is a violation of the rules?

Level 17
Darlings, stop arguing please, we've decided on everything already :)

Amen to that. Lets start this now. We are wasting time arguing. Lets keep it like it is now. If you still can't sleep at night because of the rules, start a thread(after the contest), hold a poll and sort this out. There was a 7 month gap between this contest and the previous one. Let the mods change the hero contest rules. But for this one we are following them as they are, with the exception of knockbacks, ect

50%? Really? It's like the half job is made by you and the rest half by several members that submitted scripts and systems. So, tell me, isn't THIS considered as a teamwork, which is a violation of the rules?

Scripts I often use in spells:
AutoIndex - 800 lines
TimerUtils - 300 lines
GroupUtils - 250 lines
ListModule - 150 lines
LinkedList - 200 lines
Plus a few more depending on the spell
=1800+ lines

So you're telling me I have to write at least 5400 lines for this hero???

EDIT: Even 50%, 1800 lines is pretty high...

Level 22
75% is way to high.
Orly? I could have easily made a spell within the rules even if it was 100%, no matter what kind of spell I'd made and within the time frame of course.
Also, xD.Schurke (judge), Xiliger (host) and I (judge) + the majority of the contestants have agreed on at least 75%. xD.Schurke thinks it should be 85% which I think it could be too, but to be nice we have chosen 75% (actually it was like that from the beginning).

Edit:

AutoIndex - 800 lines
TimerUtils - 300 lines
GroupUtils - 250 lines
ListModule - 150 lines
LinkedList - 200 lines
=1800+ lines

Rofl, you serious?!
If you're using vJASS which I think you do you could cut out all of those and make it yourself and only have a total of 600 lines for all the spells which is less than the combined length of the systems you wanted to use.

Orly? I could have easily made a spell within the rules even if it was 100%, no matter what kind of spell I'd made and within the time frame of course.
But yours would be inferior to those made with tried and tested scripts - it'd be bound to have bugs. Plus, in a map, if each spell rewrites all the code, it's going to get pretty inefficient...

Level 22
In maps it's totally different. Making a separate system for each spell is madness, which is why you make one or two systems for all of them. And I wouldn't make systems for my submission (if I had submitted anything) so I wouldn't have any inferior systems in it.

Enough with this conversation. We'll get nowhere if we continue with this and the rules WILL NOT change. Maybe they can be changed for the next contest, but for now let's start this contest and enjoy it.

Level 17
AutoIndex - 800 lines
TimerUtils - 300 lines
GroupUtils - 250 lines
ListModule - 150 lines
LinkedList - 200 lines
=1800+ lines

Actually, there will be allot less lines. TimerUtils actually only uses about 150 lines, and about another 30 lines goes to debugging and error finding(error finding, I am not sure if that is the correct term)

But that doesn't matter. The rules will be as they are

Ill say the 75% should just be a guideline, if you are using scripts, then it is fine if the ratio is a little off. The whole idea is that big systems that do all the work for you is avoided.

So lets start this thing up.

Level 11
i don't get the sense behind this post sry :O

Well... I can't understand this fact: One man with quite good enough skill to "speak" and "provoke" really provokes all of you to argue with him and try to pleasure him. :)

Of course, I understand, that it's a democratic community, but anyway, what's the point in trying to make smb accept the rules of the whole community? Isn't it really easier and cleverer just to leave him with his opinion?

I just can't get a point of this argue. We have a proverb in our country: "The truth is born in argument". But there is no any truth in your having out, since nobody is going to accept the rules of other. =\

You can argue as much as you want, but the result will be the same anyway, so I see no point in it. Let's just approve this contest and start our work and JUST HAVE A FUN, DAMN YOU, WHY THE F*CK ARE YOU STILL ARGUING HERE??? This contest should have already been approved yesterday!!!

Level 14
If you're using vJASS which I think you do you could cut out all of those and make it yourself and only have a total of 600 lines for all the spells which is less than the combined length of the systems you wanted to use.
Youre missing the point. Its BAD to reimplement already existing code. That concept is fundamentally flawed.
I cant find the words to describe how bad this is.

I still think everyone should be able to use any other library he deems necessary. No restrictions of any kind.

Telling people to make already made scripts for themselves is bad in numerous ways.
  • Code bloat! Who the hell wants 10 versions of the same script in their map just because of the authors lame spell requiring their own version.
  • The already approved, and standardized version is most likely to have less bugs.
  • Support! You get more support with approved scripts, as they are updated after patches are made.

This list is meant to apply to wc3, not programming in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.