1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

"Hate Crimes"

Discussion in 'Medivh's Tower' started by ~Void~, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Japut3h

Japut3h

Resources:
    Resources:
    Bah. It's all hypocrisy. If justice was blind indeed, it wouldn't make a difference who you attacked. Is attacking (and let's say killing for the sake of the argument) someone because of his race any better than attacking and intentionally killing someone because he cut you off in traffic? Or because you needed a quick buck for a fix, and decided to shoot up a kid for fifty dollars?

Assault is assault, and murder is murder. Adding a bullshit name like a "hate crime" to it just means that you're separating races, which makes you the racist.

The government wasn't mean to blacks before Barrack either.

2. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, it isn't right to judge a very large group of people because of one thing, of course we get exceptions.

Example: If we discover that purple people tend to be born deformed, you can't simply assume that "purple people are deformed". You can think that there are stupid black people, but not all of them are stupid.

3. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I can. :D
    Not only because I'm an anarchist, but because there are no though police.

But what does that say about me?

4. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That you're racist, or anarchist only for baing at the other side?

I don't really know, but what happens is that you simply don't consider exceptions.

5. Deep Sea Kraken

Deep Sea Kraken

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    If thinking that a smart black person is an exception, your no better than the people who think are black people are stupid.

Dumb is dumb. Smart is smart. Asshole is asshole. Genius is Genius. Prick is prick. Thief is thief. Generous is Generous.

Race doesn't matter. All of you that are still talking about 'exceptions', 'generalizing' and 'usually' still aren't getting it. Race. Doesn't. Matter. (I'm not naming names, or blaming, or saying that you're all doing it, just trying to make a point.)

6. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's true, DSK, I created a fictional example to see Hakeem's opinion about stuff, and I said that exception thing. I wasn't reffering to the whole black people as stupid with exceptions, sorry if that wasn't clear.

To see the whole context of that, read the posts above with me and Hakeem debating.

7. Deep Sea Kraken

Deep Sea Kraken

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I wasn't blaming you, and I wasn't really sure if you meant it that way or not, I just used to to make a point -.-

8. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Race shouldn't get in the way of things unreasonably, for example if an indian person isn't hired because of their race even though they are 100% qualified for said job, that is racism.

That doesn't mean all races are equal. Yes, caucasians tend to be tall and square-jawed, yes, jewish people tend to have curly hair and yes, asian people tend to have smaller willies than everyone else :)P). Some things, like asians being into computers, blacks liking hip-hop and basketball, and jews hoarding money just come from the culture that the majority of those races live in.

Another note is that if I were to turn down a date because they are, for example, an asian, that doesn't make me racist; it just means I don't find asians attractive.

9. AirHead

AirHead

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    All that I would say about hate crimes is said already so I will say this.

Why, if people are trying not to be racist, do they say that the word 'Nigger', which literally means and I quote (from dictionary.com) 'a black person', is offensive? That's like saying that being black is offensive.

What I find is that people argue for so long that they forget what they said previously and contradict it, without even realizing what they've done.

10. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    The word "nigger" is offensive for the word itself, but for the bad memories it drags along with it.

11. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Seeing as "nigger", in the past, was usually used in context like "you damn niggers" or "kill the niggers", that's what makes it offensive.

12. Dalaran_Guard

Dalaran_Guard

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    For African-Americans, the word "nigger" carries with it the connotations of years and years of bondage at the hands of Whites. And in the dictionary, the definition, "a black person," is clearly preceded by a note that makes all-too clear the derogatory nature of the word.

1: usually offensive : a black person
    2: usually offensive : a member of any dark-skinned race
    3: a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons

Even in the dictionary definition, we have evidence (in def. 3) that the word denotes an inferior/disadvantaged class of persons; and in light of the years of bondage and maltreatment that took place prior to (and after to a degree) the American Civil War, it becomes quite apparent why there are feelings in the air as to the nature of the word.

In regard to hate crimes and racism as a whole:
    Hate crimes are real. It's a sad reality, but there are people out there who are more than willing to kill or mistreat based entirely on something as inconsequential and uncontrollable as the amount of melanin in one's skin. My friend (White) moved to South Carolina, and on the first day, the Ku Klux Klan was knocking on his door trying to recruit his parents.

Classifying hate crimes is really just an attempt to halt the advances of such racist groups as the KKK, but there exists a problem in such an attempt; the people embodying these racist and violent tendencies will not be swayed by an increase in jail time or any other punishment of the like. Those who are willing to ruin or take a life based on color (or lack thereof) are deranged enough that they will be willing to do so despite any consequence. So really, the legislation to stop hate crimes does little else but raise suspicion against those with non-racist tendencies (or at least, less radical and violent racist tendencies, as we all embody some bit of racism). I can certainly see the good intention behind such legislation, but it is just not practical in its scope.

And in terms of minority entitlement, I think it is a load of crap. People are people, and they deserve to be treated equally, for good or for bad. One can't expect to receive special treatment (good) for their race unless they are willing to take the crap for it as well.

To those that would continue in their ignorance and hatred, I can offer up only my remorse and sympathy. But for those that strive toward a better world, a world free from such irrationality and malevolence, know that there is hope for the future. Don't get me wrong: it's not going to get any better very soon. Racism will remain, hate will ever linger in the hearts of mankind, and the cloud that has obscured man's vision for so long will by no means part. But there will be change. I don't know whether or not it will be some long-awaited social upheaval or a quiet change, but this I do know: when it comes, it will come first in the hearts of men and women who are willing to bring about that change in their own lives. Learn to love...

13. Aschy

Aschy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Bingo, variety is the spice of life. I just never got why people began using the first acts of racism in the first place it makes almost no sense to me, or how people like Hitler could take it so far.

I think that racism should not exist unless it is based on true facts, but then everyone is different so not everyone in their "race" would probably take part in "the action" so then again racism cannot exist. ex. Saying all German's were Nazi's in ww2. Other than that hate crimes are based on truly hating the other persons skin pigment.

I never thought about Hate Crimes as stopping progress of groups like the kkk but I guess it makes sense and is a very good thing. But then the line between assault and assault + hate crime must be to thin.

14. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I don't think it's even the skin color nowadays. It's the cultural differences.

Even in the 17th century, one of the primary reasons why American and European explorers in Africa treated the native black people like dirt is because they spoke a "barbaric" language and dressed like animals. Some evidence to back this up is that the Americans in the 17th century also hated the native american indians because of their language and culture.