• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Harry Potter Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

upload_2018-10-24_17-1-39.png
In this thread I invite you to discuss the mysterious universe of Harry Potter. What do you think of the books, movies and the currently produced Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them?

I will start this thread by sharing this amazing fan depiction of the characters' lives after the movies had taken place. I did not expect the plot twist in the end!

pyf

pyf

Level 32

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Among fan theories, it has been suggested that the main protagonist of the series may not be the Chosen One.

"Dumbledore took a deep breath. ‘The odd thing, Harry,’ he said softly, ‘is that it may not have meant you at all. Sybill’s prophecy could have applied to two wizard boys, both born at the end of July that year, both of whom had parents in the Order of the Phoenix, both sets of parents having narrowly escaped Voldemort three times. One, of course, was you. The other was Neville Longbottom."

excerpt from 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
'

The eerie similarities between Harry and Neville - Pottermore

Level 11
Harry is the Chosen One, because Voldemort picked him. "the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal", the Prophecy says. That is what makes him the Chosen One.
The Order of the Phoenix said:
“Then — it might not be me?” said Harry.
“I am afraid,” said Dumbledore slowly, looking as though every word cost him a great effort, “that there is no doubt that it is you.”
“But you said — Neville was born at the end of July too — and his mum and dad —”
“You are forgetting the next part of the prophecy, the final identifying feature of the boy who could vanquish Voldemort. … Voldemort himself would ‘mark him as his equal.’ And so he did, Harry. He chose you, not Neville. He gave you the scar that has proved both blessing and curse.”
“But he might have chosen wrong!” said Harry. “He might have marked the wrong person!”
“He chose the boy he thought most likely to be a danger to him,” said Dumbledore. “And notice this, Harry. He chose, not the pureblood (which, according to his creed, is the only kind of wizard worth being or knowing), but the half-blood, like himself. He saw himself in you before he had ever seen you, and in marking you with that scar, he did not kill you, as he intended, but gave you powers, and a future, which have fitted you to escape him not once, but four times so far — something that neither your parents, nor Neville’s parents, ever achieved.”
“Why did he do it, then?” said Harry, who felt numb and cold. “Why did he try and kill me as a baby? He should have waited to see whether Neville or I looked more dangerous when we were older and tried to kill whoever it was then —”
“That might, indeed, have been the more practical course,” said Dumbledore, “except that Voldemort’s information about the prophecy was incomplete. The Hog’s Head Inn, which Sibyll chose for its cheapness, has long attracted, shall we say, a more interesting clientele than the Three Broomsticks. As you and your friends found out to your cost, and I to mine that night, it is a place where it is never safe to assume you are not being overheard. Of course, I had not dreamed, when I set out to meet Sibyll Trelawney, that I would hear anything worth overhearing. My — our — one stroke of good fortune was that the eavesdropper was detected only a short way into the prophecy and thrown from the building.”

Btw, Pottermore is J. K. Rowling's website, it's more than a fan site :)

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Btw, Pottermore is J. K. Rowling's website, it's more than a fan site :)
I have written "Among fan theories", and I never said (nor implied) Pottermore was a fan site.

The quote from this official site (which comes from one of the books) is there to help substantiate this fan theory, which has been discussed at length on many, many fan sites which I have not linked to.
:grin:

Level 11
Ok then, since you said you didn't read the books, I just assumed you were't fan enough to know everything about Pottermore :p
Anyway, I'm wondering what could the arguments in favour of that theory be, because the book is very explicit about this issue.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I just assumed you were't fan enough to know everything about Pottermore :p
In fact, I am not a fan at all.

However, I more or less like the second of the film adaptations, because it is a chilling detective / mystery adventure story, with its basic premises very vaguely reminiscent overall of the 1985 film Young Sherlock Holmes (written by Chris Columbus, and who happens to be the director of the 2002 film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets).

Anyway, I'm wondering what could the arguments in favour of that theory be, because the book is very explicit about this issue.
Maybe its origin could be traced back to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (and its early drafts), since J.K. Rowling considered Neville Longbottom's own journey of discovery to be "more important to the central plot", than the one of Dean Thomas in this book.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I only know the movies. 1&2&3 were quite childish, kinda logical with the main chars beeing kids.
I think 3 was a turning point, assuming a darker theme.

Also, posting this classic:

Level 11
@Tiriel @pyf I'd recommand to read the books, if you guys want to give it a try someday. The books are a lot different from the movies, which are too "hollywoodesque", full of incoherence and missing too much important stuff in my opinion (yeah I think the adaptation is very bad and I hate it ^^)
I feel like I would've liked them a lot better if Harry Potter had been a TV show instead of a film series.
I agree! A TV show would have allowed much more details to be shown, they could take their time exploring the story and the universe.

Also, the video is funny, and confirms my point that the movies are not faithful to the books ;)

Level 1
I never read the books (I'm more of an ASOIAF fan) but I enjoyed the movies, though I feel like I would've liked them a lot better if Harry Potter had been a TV show instead of a film series.

Also, I find this funny:

writemyessayonline will help with your studies

I think JK Rowling is a great writer. Thanks to "Harry Potter", many people who did not like to read, changed their minds. I am also one of them. If there were more such books, all the people of the world would become fans of literature.

Level 5
I loved it growing up!

However I find the stories from 3 - 7 not anywhere near as good as 1 to 2. A true fan would agree :p.

Tom Riddle got too fat, Dumbledore wasn' softspoken, and too much dating high school crap lol.

It was better as a kids movie with REAL mysteries that had good climaxes like the Dungeon and the Basilisk.

Level 5

+1.

Indeed...

It's weird, because normally one is quick to jump at a more adult-themed piece of media, especially when I was growing up as a teenager. But when you get older, perhaps even after having a family, you start to see why kids' fiction is so awesome.

The whole point of fairy tales is that they're not supposed to be so real life! If I'm reading a book about witches and wizards, clearly I'm trying to escape my reality right? I want to be transported to a DIFFERENT world, where the laws of our world don't necessarily carry over!

So I find that adding things like dating, "snogging" ("making out" in america), they even made reference to the F word, a lot of high school drama (I find the stereo system in the Griffindor common room playing rock music to be a bit out of place for a wizardry school...lol), and references to whiskey a bit too much for a kids book.

It may not seem like much to adults, but when I was a kid, I remember the first thing I thought was "What the HELL? Harry is going to kiss Cho? THIS IS CRAZY" and eventually you start to replicate that stuff outside of your bedroom lamp setting at night. You go to school and you start thinking that because Harry, Hermione, etc. did it, that I can do it too! I also found Fred and George in the movies to be a bit obnoxious...I dunno when you're 12 they are pretty funny, but when you're older they're kinda annoying....

Regardless Harry Potter still is good. The movies are inferior to the books after Harry Potter 3, but they're still fun. That Voldemort vs. Dumbledore fight was CRAZY, THAT is what Harry Potter should be about!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
The whole point of fairy tales is that they're not supposed to be so real life! If I'm reading a book about witches and wizards, clearly I'm trying to escape my reality right? I want to be transported to a DIFFERENT world, where the laws of our world don't necessarily carry over!
Is life real anyway? Escaping unreality with more illusion. Is it good? A matter of perspective, rather perception?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Snape developed a lot throughout the story.

Level 22
The good ones are of purity, honesty, willpower, patience, kindness, generosity, loyal, etc. Getting married, having kids, being educated, helping old people, respecting children & animals.

The bads are the ze opposite!

What does that mean? Uneducated people are inherently bad?

And helping old people is good? What if an elderly person asked you to buy cocaine because he or she is unable?

Level 5
What does that mean? Uneducated people are inherently bad?

And helping old people is good? What if an elderly person asked you to buy cocaine because he or she is unable?

No ma b'woy....

It means that those who can be educated, but choose to not and instead waste away life loitering around in places, in search of easy pay via a life of crime are bad!

And obviously you wouldn't exactly do that with an old person, but I mean the normal old people.

Level 22
No ma b'woy....

It means that those who can be educated, but choose to not and instead waste away life loitering around in places, in search of easy pay via a life of crime are bad!

And obviously you wouldn't exactly do that with an old person, but I mean the normal old people.

Smells like a made-up definition ([1] [2]) to me. Also, not all normal old people are good-intentioned, but the way you phrased it made it seem so.

It appears that you have the moral high ground. Thank you for replying.

EDIT: Clarified

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
As someone who grew up with the books to some extent I really liked them.

But I do not think I'd read past the first book if I read it as an adult. It's one of those good vs evil, surprise good guys win which I am tired of.
A lot of logic breaking when you start to think about it.
Voldemort would be screwed if anyone used a gun LOL

Still, I do enjoy reading fan theories a lot even now.

Level 11
It's one of those good vs evil, surprise good guys win which I am tired of.
Yeah basically it's good vs evil, but it's often more subtle than that: Snape, Draco Malfoy, Fudge, Scrimgeour, Croupton Sr... are not 100% bad or 100% evil characters. And even those who are labelled "good characters" have their flaws, like Dumbledore or even Harry.

A lot of logic breaking when you start to think about it.
Sadly yes. Overall, the wizards world is quite coherent, but when you start looking at the details, many parts of the scenario seem illogical. But I think it still works! I still enjoy reading the books from time to time, even if, like you, I wouldn't have enjoyed them that much if I had read them as an adult the first time.

I don't know about using guns against Voldemort, I suppose he would have ways to protect himself against physical damage, like a mana shield for example :p

The good ones are of purity, honesty, willpower, patience, kindness, generosity, loyal, etc. Getting married, having kids, being educated, helping old people, respecting children & animals.
My girlfriend and I don't want to get married and have children, does that make us bad people?

No, voldemort would not be in danger of a gun. He is a Lich, he can not be killed (that is the interpretation in that universe, at least in the movies), even if you would use a nuclear bomb. That would also be the reason why everyone fears him so much.

Edit: I personly find it wierd that in a movie time travel/manipulation was added but afterwards not used again.

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
@Sieben
1. Of course. It is not 101% cliche, but it is not very far off considering how many characters there are in the series.
Other than Snape and, RAB (cannot spell the name from memory) there has not really been any 'gray' death eaters IMO. All of them was pretty much portrayed as purely evil.

Especially when you consider other books, A Song of Ice and Fire quickly come to mind. Almost no purely good/evil characters (with some exceptions of course)

@Tasyen
1. Considering he was gone for 14~ years after dying I consider that a pretty solid solution.
Resurrecting is no easy thing even if he technically survives.
The battle for Hogwarts would have been laughable if any side brought a machine gun to the battle. Everyone beside Voldemort would be gone.

2. All the Time Turners in the Minestry of Magic are destroyed in book 5 when they are chased by Death Eaters after grabbing the prophecy or something like that.
It is not pointed out in the movie.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
The battle for Hogwarts would have been laughable if any side brought a machine gun to the battle. Everyone beside Voldemort would be gone.
I think it's more of a symbolic matter. Say, how fellows in England have secret cults and knowledge and that power and influence would be what makes your enemy lose in the end.
In short: Harry Potter became the best student :D surpassing Tom Riddle.

Sounds to me like some cheap trick to remove something you better wanted removed after reconsidering it again. Cause someone had to made this time tuners in the first place, why they did notcreate new ones. Why valdemor has none.
Edit: you anwered that cause all were destroyed in the Minestry. Still Sounds cheap.​
But you are right their weak attack magic has no chance against modern fullautomatic guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.