• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger V2

Reactions: Shade Da Scout
Introduction
Music cinematic type map.
About an intruders from the space, mechanical wreckers landed on the earth planning to devastate this world leaving no life on it.
About their first target - humans military outpost in the thick forest / jungle.
Credits
Models
TheHiveWorkshop
anarchianbedlam
HappyTauren
Mc_!
Illidan(Evil)X
Cavman
Nasrudin
Mechanical_Man
iron_warrior
!!GORO!!
Mr._Bob
WILLTHEALMIGHTY
RightField
Ergius
Kofi_Banan

Wc3Campaigns
olofmoleman
Nasrudin
Facts
<Music: Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger>
<Cinematic Duration - 4 minutes>
<Map is not protected>
<Cinematic is for Single Player gameplay>
Screenshots (Count: 4)
Screenshot 1.
hbfs1.jpg

Screenshot 2.
hbfs2.jpg

Screenshot 3.
hbfs3.jpg

Screenshot 4.
hbfs4.jpg
Changelog
V2
Added life to the nature, added some more cameras, changed fog, fixed some unit paths, added few special effects and many other trifles.

Keywords:
Cinematic, Warfare, Robots, Invasion, Ambush.
Contents

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger V2 (Map)

Reviews
13:30, 10th Apr 2009 by bounty hunter2: A nice little music cinematic lacking a lot of polishing, Approved with a 3/5 (Useful) rating. You can find my full review at post #8.

M

13:30, 10th Apr 2009 by bounty hunter2:
A nice little music cinematic lacking a lot of polishing, Approved with a 3/5 (Useful) rating.

You can find my full review at post #8.

Level 31
1) Description - Very well decribe. But there is a typo error. You type it as batter and it makes me lol.. XD
2) Terrain - Very well develop, but lack of wildlife. Try use the doodad of a flock of bird, add creep such as frog or stag to make it look alive.
3) Scripting/Triggering - From what I seen, you use precise timing and this enable most of the action was execute at right time. But the way you set the variable. You should have use array for it.
4) Music & Sound Effect - The music was hillarious, but it really suit this cinematic considering those action does rhythm with it.
5) Special Effect - The special effect are good, it doesn't been abuse. But it seems like the human soldier throw a rocket instead of firing it. You should have use the bullet projectile instead of missile.
6) Camera - Quite good, none of the camera I seen have a bad angle.

There is a lot of hardwork been pour into it especially the terrain. It definitely deserve 4/5.

Level 1
1.....A better loading screen perhaps
2.....Some brief story on the loading screen always helps
3.....The motion of the Airplanes is not smooth.
4.....The factories were built in random places & in the next scene they are in a line. How come? Also there were 3 of them but no longer. Now there are 4 of them.
5.....The motion of the units that are spawned needs to be improved. Some of them were coming in the path of some others which made some of them to stop.
6.....The attack by the airplanes needs better animation.
7.....The credits needs improvements. Telling about individual models will be better. Do that at least in the thread.
8.....The thread needs better details. Including Screenshots will help.
9.....I had minimized the warcraft window while watching the cinematic & due to that the scene freezed. The scene showing the spawning of the workers by the airplanes was not shown.The scene had continued with the scene of them moving to their respective places & then constructing the buildings.
10.....When the battle comes inside the military camp then many of the units are seen moving through the buildings.
11.....The death animation of the buildings needs to be improved
12.....Typo are present

My Rating : 4/5
Vote For Approval

>Animations need improvement
>Credits need improvement
Other things i have already mentioned

Level 31
9.....I had minimized the warcraft window while watching the cinematic & due to that the scene freezed. The scene showing the spawning of the workers by the airplanes was not shown.The scene had continued with the scene of them moving to their respective places & then constructing the buildings.

That is the price it paid when you use Action - Wait. I have told him not to use wait action as it was not accurate, but it seems like he still use it.

Level 31
1) Description - Very well decribe. But there is a typo error. You type it as batter and it makes me lol.. XD
2) Terrain - Very well develop, but lack of wildlife. Try use the doodad of a flock of bird, add creep such as frog or stag to make it look alive.
3) Scripting/Triggering - From what I seen, you use precise timing and this enable most of the action was execute at right time. But the way you set the variable. You should have use array for it.
4) Music & Sound Effect - The music was hillarious, but it really suit this cinematic considering those action does rhythm with it.
5) Special Effect - The special effect are good, it doesn't been abuse. But it seems like the human soldier throw a rocket instead of firing it. You should have use the bullet projectile instead of missile.
6) Camera - Quite good, none of the camera I seen have a bad angle.

There is a lot of hardwork been pour into it especially the terrain. It definitely deserve 4/5.

Thread name says

Harder, Batter, Faster, Stronger V1

Better.

I lol'd wehen I saw it Batter. However, it's fixed, hehe.

Ow, I absolutely forgot to add these wild animals! I will add.

About the variables, I tried using Array, but finally I screwed up because something was wrong with it, no idea what's wrong, but I decided to do not use Array.. Maybe I'll try to use it. However, I've eliminated only the half of memory leak connected with regions. I got bored of making it in variables and the fact that memory leak is not a major problem in single player maps also induced me to stop making it all in variables, lolz.

Well, soldiers has Weapon Type - Instant, how did you see it as throwing?

I wouldn't say that I hardly worked on all this, not at all. Actually I made this in few or even less days. Just when I was on a halfway, I took a break that took weeks, hehe.
Anyway, I didn't expect to get rating higher than 3/5 because it's pretty simple cinematic and it's my first. I especially didn't expect to get higher rating than that from you, Septimus. Thanks.

1.....A better loading screen perhaps
Maybe I will add one. I was thinking about it, but that time I decided that it's unnecessary.

3.....The motion of the Airplanes is not smooth.
It will be smooth only then when the land that plane flys over it will be the same high. And it would ruin the terrain.

4.....The factories were built in random places & in the next scene they are in a line. How come? Also there were 3 of them but no longer. Now there are 4 of them.
Nothing was built in random way.
If you would pay more attention to surroundings, you would notice that it's other place than there were three of factories. Mechanical goblins built more of it, in other place, in a line.

5.....The motion of the units that are spawned needs to be improved. Some of them were coming in the path of some others which made some of them to stop.
I'd would solve it by remaking the terrain of that place. I'll think out something.

7.....The credits needs improvements. Telling about individual models will be better. Do that at least in the thread.
Why? I haven't seen a map telling the actual model's owner.

8.....The thread needs better details. Including Screenshots will help.
It's in the hidden tab.. Please fully read the description before you judge.

That is the price it paid when you use Action - Wait. I have told him not to use wait action as it was not accurate, but it seems like he still use it.
I didn't use Wait action there. Also, the units that spawned by airplanes were not the ones that constructed the buildings, it was other units.

10.....When the battle comes inside the military camp then many of the units are seen moving through the buildings.
I tried adjusting the collision size scale rate, but it didn't help. >.< I would like you to tell me how to fix this.

11.....The death animation of the buildings needs to be improved
Tell this to creators of the models.

Thanks for the previews and that high ratings that I didn't expect to receive by experienced mappers.

Last edited:
Reactions: HFR
Level 18
bounty hunter2's Review on Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger V1

A cinematic? That's a must check.

EDIT: Here goes...

Rules

Proper resource crediting
Proper description
Proper author name
Doesn't crash
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger is a music cinematic, where the events are backed by music only. This cinematics seem to arise in popularity lately.

The terrain was fine. What it misses is less of the dirt tiles and wildlife as Septimus said. Birds, dear any animals. The green fog looks a bit ugly, I'd advise you to experiment with the fog a bit more.

The models chosen were good, but some things I just couldn't get along with. A futuristic cinematic, yet the humans have wodden outposts. Also the death animations of the building in the outpost, the human ship and the tower look really ugly.

The cinematic was well fun/slightly not interesting to watch. As said the ships don't move smoothly, they have strange vectoral movements. You should have disabled game sounds for the ultimate experience of a music cinematic, leaving the music to be the only thing you can hear. The fight wasn't much aswell.

Another problem is the lag, when you massed units plus the fire in the outpost, I just lagged, the music lagged, everything lagged.

The cameras were decent, fluid, on places a bit to static if I recall correctly, you should keep them fluid at all time, as I like to say.

Overall, an fun cinematic, the music tape was good, yet it lacks in smoothness, Approved with a 3/5 (Useful) rating.

Last edited:
Level 31
Also the death animations of the building in the outpost, the human ship and the tower look really ugly.
I know that it's not that fine, but it's problems of creators. However, maybe it would look better if I would add special effects to the units that dies?

As said the ships don't move smoothly, they have strange vectoral movements.
As I replied to Zelda.Alex, remaking the path to the same high of the ships would make it fly smoothly, but terrain would get worse or I could make other camera angles and positions from where ships comes up. I'll try to make it more smoothly

You should have disabled game sounds for the ultimate experience of a music cinematic, leaving the music to be the only thing you can hear.
Good idea.

The fight wasn't much aswell.
I know, I couldn't do it better at the moment. This improvement is necessary.

Thanks for yout thoughts and review, bounty.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Watched, and here's my review:

[+] - The Cameras

I liked the camera angles, they're very smooth and doesn't stay at the same angle much time.

[+] - The Terrain

An good and detailed terrain, with height variations and lots of doodads. You missed some life, like the animals, but it's a minor thing.

[+] - The Music Choice

You chose an good music for the cinematic, that fits perfectly, as the alien robots are "Harder, Better, Faster and Stronger" than the humans, good choice!

[+ -] - The Model Choice

That goblin factories really don't fit the futuristic theme of the robots.

[+ -] - The Plot and Duration

It's not so original, "evil robots invade the Earth and the brave humans fight for their lives". And you could have added more scenes, like the robots invading a big city, or a fortress.

Overall, I rate this cinematic a 3.5/5.

Level 31
Another problem is the lag, when you massed units plus the fire in the outpost, I just lagged, the music lagged, everything lagged.

When not all memory leak remove and there is a huge amount of destructible/doodad use. That's the problem that would occur to a weak computer.

The rating of mine was actually between 3 & 4, but what makes me vote it 4 was the terrain. The terrain was good, but the green fog doesn't fit the forest. If the forest was at top of the hill, a light blue fog would probably be the best for it.

Level 31
That goblin factories really don't fit the futuristic theme of the robots.
I couldn't get anything better. And why people says that it's futuristic? As you see, humans has nothing familiar to lasers or anything familiar to this, they use bullets and rockets, same as robots wreckers. Anyway, that goblins factory was pretty useful. I could tell many reasons why.

And you could have added more scenes, like the robots invading a big city, or a fortress.
I think this idea fits good for much larger map with not that simple 'story'. I tried making this short, simple, timed cinematic. That's my first cinematic so I didn't want to start a huge project taking months to finish, hehe. Especially now when I'm being pretty lazy..
Thanks for review, HFR.

It's good cinematic, but I found an little bug, they can run trought this building
Yes, I know. I'll try to fix this, but somewhy Collision Scale rate adjustment don't function for me at all. x(

If the forest was at top of the hill, a light blue fog would probably be the best for it.
So you suggest to make it as light blue fog? I think I get your point. Fog and rest that gets hidden by it should merge with sky?

HFR

HFR

Level 22
I said that the Goblin factories don't fit the "futuristic" theme, but, actually, they don't fit nothing in the map, because they have bandages, and have an old style, goblin style. So, it's strange to use an machine with bandages (lol) together with space robots.

Level 31
Set the structure scale to 0 and add pathing blocker at the building.
Riiight! Pathing blockers would solve everything! I can't believe I didn't think about it.

I said that the Goblin factories don't fit the "futuristic" theme, but, actually, they don't fit nothing in the map, because they have bandages, and have an old style, goblin style. So, it's strange to use an machine with bandages (lol) together with space robots.
Haha, bandage looks weird to me too, but let's say that it's quick-made small and modest factories so it can't be perfect. Rofl.

Level 9
i dunno what i think about this good or bad well i like the idea and such but i think the humans should give a little more resistance yes i know those robot guys are better,stronger,faster and so on but still anyway my rating is 3/5

Level 31
Found a bug: When the robots are almost tottaly razing the base, some humans soldiers, instead of fight to to the death, simply run to the back of the base and wait there, until the robots kill the cowardly humans...
Thanks for paying attention to this cinematic. I've watched the cinematic few times more and I observed the humans and I didn't notice anything familiar to your found bug.
However, the actions are unpredictable and different everytime you watch it because I use odering to regions as Random Place In Region XXX and all these units are not controlled by triggers. Simply, units follows their own way as computer and hostile controlled objects. I'll try to add a system that controls them, so I hope there won't be such a bugs as you noticed.