• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hard to kill heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
@Lord Esdin

Generally speaking in the missions you helped create did you give the player a base when the game started or did you just provide him with worker units to build his own.

Most of the time if the map was intended for a battle of two armies wed give the player a base to start with, however this also depended on how difficult we wanted the map to be, if I recall correctly in one of the more challenging missions the player would start off with a hero, several basic units and we created triggers that would have 1 worker build a town hall and four more would join in as he was building it to make its construction faster...by the time the beginning cinematic was over the player would have a town hall with 5 workers going to the mine.

Generally speaking the more stuff the player starts off with the easier it will be for the player. Building a base and defenses takes time, effort and resources.

Level 5
You could just use triggers to make the construction complete rather than waiting the thing out, I know this because I worked on a map and would have the player start off with random amounts of gold and wood because peasants were helping complete structures when it started.

The amount of wood and gold the player gets needs to be the last thing triggered before switching from cinematic mode to normal game fyi

Level 7
What you do is give that particular hero the "ancient" classification, and set the target of the ability to ancient, hero, enemy

This could also work for that critical strike ability you wanted to make.

Level 7
From what I understand you wanted a critical strike ability that in your case only targets units that have resistant skin, but because of how the game is hardwired it's impossible to set an ability to target only units with resistant skin unless you do it with triggers. Also you mentioned that basically those unit who you want to target are all dragons/ air units.

So do this instead:

Give all the units who you want the critical strike to affect the Ancient classification

Modify the critical strike ability to target
Air
Ancient
Enemy

I think thats all you really need, I believe I considering doing something similar to this with a unit called sniper.

Level 7
From what I understand you wanted a critical strike ability that in your case only targets units that have resistant skin, but because of how the game is hardwired it's impossible to set an ability to target only units with resistant skin unless you do it with triggers. Also you mentioned that basically those unit who you want to target are all dragons/ air units.

So do this instead:

Give all the units who you want the critical strike to affect the Ancient classification

Modify the critical strike ability to target
Air
Ancient
Enemy

I think thats all you really need, I'm pretty sure it will work correctly if you do exactly what I wrote, note that if you have an ability whose target is "hero" it will only be used on heroes, whereas an ability that targets "non-hero" cannot be used against both heroes and units which have the resistant skin ability

Level 7
Not when you use it on air units, and the parameters for the ability are set the way I showed them; there are no flying ancient units, so there should be no problem. About the hero I'm not exactly sure, because in this case you're narrowing it down to heroes which are also ancients, I honestly dont think theres a problem with that.

Level 5
Not when you use it on air units, and the parameters for the ability are set the way I showed them; there are no flying ancient units, so there should be no problem. About the hero I'm not exactly sure, because in this case you're narrowing it down to heroes which are also ancients, I honestly dont think theres a problem with that.

You might be right about the air units -but this might screw up something with ground units> like you may get a wisp renewing a hero because he has the ancient category

Level 7
I dont think you should have a problem with this unless your categories are not well defined. A flying unit classified as an ancient is a very narrow category, also a hero classified as an ancient is one too. Lastly I think the unit needs to be mechanical for the wisp to renew it.

Level 5
i have just tried it out -and if the unit has the 'ancient' classification priests (and likely other spellcasters) wont be able to heal the unit

Level 7
If it's a map you're working on I dont see a reason why you cant use the editor to go to the priest's healing ability and uncheck the non-ancients checkbox in the targets section

Level 5
I ment to say it can cause bugs and glitches with other abilities-that was the point I was trying to make

Level 7
It's really the only way you can get an ability to target a certain hero while not being able to target other heroes (only way without the use if triggers to be more precise)

Like if you want to be able to use a soul gem to capture a specific hero (like the mission where thrall uses it on grom)

Level 5
Like if you want to be able to use a soul gem to capture a specific hero (like the mission where thrall uses it on grom)

I wonder how exactly they made it so that you can capture Grom but not other enemy heroes with the soul gem in that mission

Level 7
If I remember the mission correctly he was the only enemy hero on that map, so the creaters didn't have to do much besides making the soul gem target enemy heroes.

Level 5
are you certain?? i was almost sure that there was a pitlord or some other hero fighting alongside grom

Level 7
I once opened that mission in the editor, and the targets for soul gem where enemy hero, besides look at the whole map, there are no heroes besides grom fighting against you

Status
Not open for further replies.